Clearance, Trenches and Set DC

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Can a set DC be used to clear a hex with a trench? This wouldtTurn the location into shellholes if successful (KIA).

If there is also a roadblock in the hex would a successfully placed Set DC that resulted in a KIA remove both trench and roadblock or do you need to clear both separately ( 2 set DC)?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think a DC could eliminate a Trench. While a DC might rubble a building, it takes a FFE HE Concentration ≥ 150mm to place shellholes (B2.1).

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
That was my take on it as well but a set DC attacks on the 200+/36 FP table.

The question came up in the Dinant campaign game where French trenches can effectively block all halftrack and wheeled vehicles along two of three exit roads from the Meuse river valley.

Made me think that "sapper" (B28.8) rules need to expanded upon and included in scenarios for obstacle clearance(Roadblocks,, Trenches, AT Ditches, etc). After all, engineers did blow in AT ditch to allow vehicle traffic a trench should be easier to 'clear' a TB through.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you wish to implement a house rule, CoS 5. has rules for breaching A-T trenches with set DCs.