Clarifications on ASLSK3's To Hit DR Modifiers Chart

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I've played a few turns of vehicles now and both me and my opponent are a little unclear on how to read some of the entries on the chart. I thought I'd just list them off here, and see what people say. If there is a more verbose chart, I'd love to see it:

2. Pinned firer [MG attempt NA if Pinned]. +2 What does "MG attempt" mean? And what does "NA if pinned" mean -- I understand that NA means Not Applicable and MG means Machine Gun?

7. Smoke (at ranges less than 13 hexes) -2 What situation would this describe? Does it mean that if there is a smoke hindrance less than 13 hexes from you, you get a -2 to the TH? Why would smoke improve your chances of hitting?

8. Covered Arc change (per hexside; x2 if firer in woods/bldg) NT +3/+1/+1. Here I get the main point but why are there three options +3/+1/+1? When does +3 apply, when does the 2nd +1, and when the 3rd +1?

12. Avoiding Backblast in building; Fire in AFPh (each). I get the avoiding Backblast rule, but what does "Fire in AFPh (each)" mean? Also note that (1) says "Fire in AFPh" too, and gives a +2 as well. So what's the difference, and why 'each'?

24. vs motion or MOving Vehicle
moton or > 3MP in Firer's LOS +2
=< 3 MP in Firer's LOS +3
=< 1 MP in Firer's LOS +4

Does this mean that motion is +2, whereas "Moving Vehicle (but not in motion) is either +2, +3, +4 depending on how much movement it spent? Or does it mean that motion/Moving Vehicle are either +2,+3,+4 deepending on how much movement spent in LOS?

Thanks in advance!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
2. You may not attempt To Hit/To Kill attack if the Infantry with the MG is pinned.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
7. When you are firing SMOKE at a range of twelve or less you get a -2 TH DRM.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
8. First hexspine change +3, next one +1, next one +1
(that is, for a single CA change of 1-3 hexspines)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
12 Avoiding backblast is +2 DRM. If in addition it is in the AFPh, there is an additional +2 DRM
Perhaps the second element is a reminder of the 1) DRM.

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
12 Avoiding backblast is +2 DRM. If in addition it is in the AFPh, there is an additional +2 DRM
Perhaps the second element is a reminder of the 1) DRM.
Thanks for the replies so far! Question on this last one: Would the AFPh +2 DRM on #12 stack with the AFPh +2 DRM from #1? So if it is in the AFPh we'd have +6 DRM (+2 for avoiding Backblast; +2 for AFPH --- both from #12) but also +2 for AFPH from #1?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
After the full ASL rules no.
But is 1) for Guns and 12) for SCW ?
What is the wording of 1) ?

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After the full ASL rules no.
But is 1) for Guns and 12) for SCW ?
What is the wording of 1) ?
AHa, I think I get it. #1 has:

Guns, SW Mortars, LATW, MG & Vehicles
1. Fire in AFPh (+3 if in woods/building) +2
(for Guns/SW Mortar/Vehicle that didn't move)

LATW only
12. Avoiding Backblast in building; Fire in AFPh (each) +2

So #1 even though it is under the bold head of LATW actually excludes LATW in the parentheses, but that gets picked up in #12, so, long story short, I think the way to read it is:

If firing an LATW:
Backblast +2 (from #12)
AFPh +2 (from #12)
#1 does not apply since not a Gun/SW Mortar/Vehicle that didn't move)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
7. Smoke (at ranges less than 13 hexes) -2 What situation would this describe? Does it mean that if there is a smoke hindrance less than 13 hexes from you, you get a -2 to the TH? Why would smoke improve your chances of hitting?
Klas explained the DRM. As to why, I can't tell you for sure because I did not design the rule nor is there a note about it, but I imagine with SMOKE the firing unit is not so much interested in hitting a particular target as putting the shells in the general area and letting the spreading billows do the work. This is easier than actually hitting the target.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
24. vs motion or MOving Vehicle
moton or > 3MP in Firer's LOS +2
=< 3 MP in Firer's LOS +3
=< 1 MP in Firer's LOS +4

Does this mean that motion is +2, whereas "Moving Vehicle (but not in motion) is either +2, +3, +4 depending on how much movement it spent? Or does it mean that motion/Moving Vehicle are either +2,+3,+4 deepending on how much movement spent in LOS?
During the vehicle's MPh (i.e. when the player has his hands on the unit and is moving it), the Motion counter (if it was present at the start) is removed. As the player moves the counter about, with each MP expenditure the defender may fire on the moving vehicle. That vehicle will have spent some amount of MP in continuous LOS, and that will determine whether the DRM is +2, +3 or +4. After the vehicle's MPh is done (the player has moved on to other actions), the vehicle may have a Motion counter placed on it as appropriate. If a vehicle marked with a Motion counter is fired on, it gets the +2 for Motion.

JR

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks everyone. That clarifies I think each one of them. Two questions:

Case 8. If I change CA 3 hexspines, is it +5 (+3 then +1 then +1)? If I CA 4 hexspines, is it also +5, or is it +6?

Case 14 vs. Case 1 vs. Case 16. Suppose it is AFPh. Case #1 says that there is a +2 DRM for "Vehicle that did not move". Case #14 says there is +4 (T/ST) or +5 (NT) DRM in AFPh. And Case 16 says the same, but also to x2 the lower die. I think I understand the difference between Case 16 and 14: in Case 16 the tank has an "in motion" counter on it, whereas in Case 14 it does not. But then what is the difference between Case 14 and Case 1? Is it that in Case 14 it does not have a Motion counter AND ALSO it moved during MPh (but did not end its MPh in motion, so does not have an in motion counter on it) whereas in Case 1 it does not have a Motion counter on it AND ALSO it did not move during the prior MPh phase?

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Case 8. If I change CA 3 hexspines, is it +5 (+3 then +1 then +1)? If I CA 4 hexspines, is it also +5, or is it +6?
There is never a need to change more then three hexspines.

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is never a need to change more then three hexspines.
Ah, then I'm a little confused on changing a CA... and it is called 'hexside' not 'hexspine' I'm now noticing. Anyway, if I click in VASL to CA cw it shifts it a one corner on the hex clockwise. Would this constitute the +3 or would i have to click CA cw twice for it to count as +3? Or am I totally confused on what heside means?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The CA faces a vertex (or a hexspine).
The first vertex change is +3 for a NT Gun.
+1 for the second and +1 for the third.
A 3 vertices change equates 180° change (as each CA position is 60° from another).

pjh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, I get it it! Of course you'd only ever do 3 hexspines, either 3 CW or 3 CCW, since moving 4 CW is the same as moving 3 CCW. Duh to me!

Thanks for the explanations on that one!

cohort

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But if a tank changes its CA 2 hexspines to fire its CMG and then changes it another 2 to fire its MA, wouldn't the MA be penalized for 4 hexspine changes?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
But if a tank changes its CA 2 hexspines to fire its CMG and then changes it another 2 to fire its MA, wouldn't the MA be penalized for 4 hexspine changes?
No. CA changes are not cumulative even if the weapon did not fire at the in-between change [D3.51]. This can be used as a sleaze, but the sleaze is made somewhat harder by the rules. If the intermediate shot is not fired at a Known Enemy Unit the CA is locked [D3.51 again].

edit: sorry, forgot we are talking starter kit. The starter kit references is 7.8. In ASLSK there is no "locking" of CA for firing on an "unknown" unit, so it might be a bit more sleazable.

JR

Last edited: