Claiming WA in J53 Setting the Stage

oybj

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
I am considering the setup in J53 where an SSR states «Russian units set up in buildings may use HIP».

May I HIP a unit in a building with secretly recorded WA status? (B9.324)

If not, I guess I can HIP it inside and drop HIP when a unit moves into a hex two hexes away, claiming WA at that time? (B9.322)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
May I HIP a unit in a building with secretly recorded WA status? (B9.324)
Yes you can...

9.324 CONCEALMENT: A concealed unit (or dummy stack) may claim WA, but a dummy stack cannot prevent a non-dummy enemy unit from claiming WA over shared wall/hedge hexsides; the side trying to gain WA must first prove that it has at least one non-dummy unit by momentarily revealing one if all are concealed, and the opposing side must then momentarily reveal one non-dummy unit or forfeit WA. A HIP unit that desires to claim WA during setup must secretly record such WA status [EXC: 9.323]. A HIP unit may forfeit WA (even if it had been mandatory) to an enemy unit claiming WA (even implicitly; 9.323) over a shared hexside and remain hidden but must be placed on board (concealed) to deny an enemy unit from claiming WA, or to claim WA that is not mandatory and was not recorded, or to forfeit WA if no enemy is claiming it. Hidden units are not considered when determining if broken/unarmed units may claim WA (9.32).

All the red text replaced the last sentence in this rule in the ASL Journal 8 errata.