Civil war games

theotherguyjt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are there any good civil war stratgy games. I've been trying to find one ever sense my Civil War Genrals 2 game broke.

theotherguyjt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see that all the games are turn based (and made by John Tiller) but do you know any rts games.

Thanks for the cite though its a good one.

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An older one is Sid Meier's Gettysburg. If your in the States, Wal-mart is selling Civil War Generals 2 for like 4 dollars. I putz with it at work, use the editor to enhance the armies so my side always wins against the computer. :D :banana: :horse:

theotherguyjt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have civil war 2 and i tried the sid mere's gettsburg but both won't install, i thinks its cuz i have xp but i'm not sure.

Brad Ritter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Doesn't seem to be much out there, I'd like to see someone put something together about the civil war along the lines of medieval total war.

theotherguyjt

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah i've been hopping that the next total war would be like Civil War and Napoleon, i think that would kick ass.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by theotherguyjt
I have civil war 2 and i tried the sid mere's gettsburg but both won't install, i thinks its cuz i have xp but i'm not sure.
I just got XP several months ago and last week I tried to install Gettysburg on my PC. It installed but it wouldn't run and I can't seem to find anything wrong with it. Damn new technology! :mad:

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I heard a few years back that they were making Civil War Generals III, but I guess that fell through. I'm not much into PC gaming anymore (haven't bought a new game in a year) but I do occasionally go to the store and look at war games. The problem with the specialty sites are that their games are too expensive b/c they can't get the distribution. I flat out refuse to spend more than $30 on any game. That kinda leaves me out in the cold, doesn't it? :(

PS: Sid Meier's Antietam is also a very good game.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Computer game prices are outrageous. Im with you Georgia. I hate spending more than 30 bucks on a game. Especially since games that come out now a days are mainly farg fest real time strategy types. I miss the days of the Campaign series and Operational Art Of War. I havent bought a game in about 6 months or so. Ive been looking at HPSIMMS games and am thinking about buying one or two of them to keep me occupied.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by jdscott7280
Computer game prices are outrageous. Im with you Georgia. I hate spending more than 30 bucks on a game. Especially since games that come out now a days are mainly farg fest real time strategy types. I miss the days of the Campaign series and Operational Art Of War. I havent bought a game in about 6 months or so. Ive been looking at HPSIMMS games and am thinking about buying one or two of them to keep me occupied.
I normally wait a while before buying games. They'll eventually show up on eBay or in a bargain bin at Walmart or EB Games. I just bought all three of the Combat Mission games at EB Games, used, so I got three for the price of a new game. Now for HPS sims, I am hooked on their Panzer Campaign series and the Napoleon Campaigns. I have a few Modern conflicts also. I also refuse to buy games for around $60 to $70 CDN as I think they are not worth it and have very few contents i.e.: scenarios and short campaigns. I found that HPS and Matrix release their games with loads of scenarios and good replayability.

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now you gents know why I keep getting my games from the bargain bins. $30 is about my limit, as well, unless it's something like the 'chest edition', where there's three or four games in one, or it's a collector's edition. I did pay about $60 once, for the Diablo II Collector's Edition.

trauth116

Webmaster: hist-sdc.com
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I found a decent source for some HPS games --- (the shipping is a little too expensive -but aside from that -- even with adding in State Sales Tax -- the place is out of St Louis - and I am in Kansas City... it came out to close to $34.00 shipped for Advance of the Reich (HPS' Eastern Front Squad Battles game).

www.shopforsoftware.com

One thing though - their DB seems a little screwed up -as if you order online -- apparently you cannot edit your card ( or that function is broken)...

Also - some of the stuff is under fighting/combat - and others under strategy. Found stull like Korsun for $28.95 last week.

Anyway, I found it using www.froogle.com (Google's e-tailer) search engine.

last_cav1971

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Blizzard" needs to make a CW game for the PC based on what they have done with Warcraft and Diablo...........That would make an awesome game.

Mark
Deo Vindice

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by theotherguyjt
Are there any good civil war stratgy games. I've been trying to find one ever sense my Civil War Genrals 2 game broke.
I've only played one that I liked and it was by Interactive Magic, called American Civil War

Hunter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
I just got XP several months ago and last week I tried to install Gettysburg on my PC. It installed but it wouldn't run and I can't seem to find anything wrong with it. Damn new technology! :mad:
That's strange. Is this the Talonsoft Battle ground Gettys burg or the Sid Meier's version? I have XP Pro and have no problem running them. Did you try using XP's run as Win98 program? That will usually fix it, and go to the Fireaxis' site and download the patches. If it's the Talonsoft, you need to go to Tiller's site and download the patches which will upgrade it to 32 bit as these are originaly 16 bit programs.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Hunter
That's strange. Is this the Talonsoft Battle ground Gettys burg or the Sid Meier's version? I have XP Pro and have no problem running them. Did you try using XP's run as Win98 program? That will usually fix it, and go to the Fireaxis' site and download the patches. If it's the Talonsoft, you need to go to Tiller's site and download the patches which will upgrade it to 32 bit as these are originaly 16 bit programs.
Thanks. Its the Sid Meier's version and I'll try that. I'll check back with the results.

GeorgiaDixie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Hunter. I downloaded the update from Firaxis and its now working fine. I tried to do that for CWG2 but I hadn't thought of it for Gettysburg for some reason. But the Sierra site no longer has any CWG2 stuff on it. Oh well.

JSMoss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Civil war games

Originally posted by hogdriver
I've only played one that I liked and it was by Interactive Magic, called American Civil War
Yep that was a great game if now a bit dated. ( You you find also find the updated maps and patches to get to rum.) It had all the individual unit strength data to make a strategic level game which with todays technology could also have tactical level battles. Always wished someone would redo it on that basis.

:horse:

BaronChronos

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Civil war games

Originally posted by hogdriver

ya can get an updated american civil war from adnac or something like that and they are doing a acw 3 which is more updated then this one by going thr home of the underdogs.

cw general acn be played on xp by right clicking the install program and setting compatabilty to w98 or me or even w95