Christians.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Richa333 said:
This is the action of God that got my attention; my wake-up call (He's sent me several, but this is the one that got through): my sister died. :OHNO:

I was in my early 30's, she in her late 30's, I'm living in Olympia (south of Seattle), she's still in the black side of Brooklyn (NY City), my mom was still in Boston.

From dance injuries (don't ask!) my sis has a bad back, she'd been popping half-a-dozen-&-often-more Tylenol daily since the age of 18 or so. A quick bit of math: 20 years of overdosing on Tylenol = Big Trouble.

In my sister's case, massive sudden kidney failure. She was cooking dinner for my nephew (just a toddler at the time) & fell over. Toddler nephew rushed to grandma's (the husband's mom, not my mom) who lived 1 floor up in the apartment buildings. 911 called, ambulance comes, sister to hospital, they find her heart stopped etc.; heroic revival & rescucitation, sister in deep coma, my mom rushes down from Boston.

NOW, here's the tesimony:

--My mom, like any good black matron, spends the week in prayer beside her daughter (my sister) who remains in a deep coma. The doctors inform my mom that my sisters' kidneys have both died, so we're looking at a life of dialysis, with possible kidney transplant option not looking good (sister overweight & etc.).

After a week of prayer, my sister wakes up. (It's not like the movies where the person blinks their eyes & starts talking. It's more like, 'random mumblings & eye movements slowly progress to coherent interactive speech" kinda thing). She (sis) prays with mom.

A week later, my sis is off dialysis & has never had to dialyze. Her "dead" kidneys - confirmed dead by multiple blood & tissue tests run over the course of a week in a major NY City hospital - remain fully functional today. My mom called & told me the story; my sis confirmed it.

THAT was the very first start of my ongoing talks with God. I was like, "God, I don't know if I believe in you or not; but thanks for giving me my sister back fully healthy." It's been a wonderful, magical, surprising relationship with God ever since... :D

From that time to my baptism into Christ, took another 8 years. :p My uncles would say about me: "Boy, you got a hard head & a soft behind" (from all the swattin's). :cheeky:
All Glory to Him, Allen! I too have withnessed healings, the latest of which was the miraculous recovery of a Chaplain friend seriously hurt in an Airborne op gone bad. He had major braks in an ankle and an arm, which were completely healed in less than two weeks with almost constant prayer from family and friends around the world. It still has the Army Docs baffled! ;)

Rabbi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
Yes you are doing this by taking a verse out of context. Those children were mocking God through their taunting of Elisha, even after they had witnessed a miracle, so God brought them some more "evidence" of His power. This is just one example of God getting through to those with thick skulls. Also, a mauling does not equal killing - think they learned a lesson? Kind of similar to '"you reap what you sow" in my opinion. Next time, try putting the verse in context. I could find singular verses to support ANYTHING I would want to say the Bible supports, good and bad. This is why SMART people will refer to the contextual reference of the Bible and the versus before and after.

Hmmm I don't see anything about them mocking God, just some guy who was bald. Also I find it interesting that you classify the mauling of 42 kids as evidence of "Gods power". So this is an example of God getting through thick skulls huh? He sure has a funny way of leaving the really bad guys free to do all the harm they want but I guess I am glad he taught those kids a lesson not to make fun of baldness. :(

Jon@lbc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rabbi said:
Hmmm I don't see anything about them mocking God, just some guy who was bald. Also I find it interesting that you classify the mauling of 42 kids as evidence of "Gods power". So this is an example of God getting through thick skulls huh? He sure has a funny way of leaving the really bad guys free to do all the harm they want but I guess I am glad he taught those kids a lesson not to make fun of baldness. :(
Their is more to the story than a bunch of kid's mocking a bald guy. It was a bunch of kid's mocking a prophet of God and they were mocking him because he was a prophet of God so they were pretty much mocking God. They probably were also idol worshippers because this area was known for it.

Bow

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
While on vacation in Mexico I usually watch CNN over breakfast just to make sure no stupid politician has started WW3 and one morning I caught an interview from some female proclaiming herself as a "born again Christian " and there was no God but her God and the rest are all false prophets, and that included all common religions ei, Islam, Jewish, Buddist etc, etc, etc and that they should be dealt with by flame and fire, and this was coming from a supposedly educated citizen of the USA.

Now heres me, and agnostict, haveing my cornflakes thinking Oh! no the efn crusades all over again..Save us from the fanatics on all sides as the bloodiest wars in history have all been called in the name of one religion or another

Isnt Mr GW Bush a " born again christian" ???? :nervous:

Bow on the island

per ardua ad astra

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am a Christian (Non-Denominational)

I feel that the extremists Bow is referring to are not practicing the Bible the way it is to be followed. Jesus preached peace and restrained his disciples from military action in conversion. From what I have read, the Bible teaches that nations have a right to defend themselves and Christians can go to war to defend their nation. However, on a personal level, one should be peaceful toward his neighbors and no one should be forcibly converted. Apart from the fact that the "convert's" faith would not be genuine it does not follow the peaceful nature Jesus preached.

I have always refrained from talking about the crusades and "which faith was worse". Christians sacked Constantinople. Muslims invaded Spain. Both sides have blood on their hands. Both sides comitted atrocities - and both sides had uncommonly wise people who were tolerant and just in an age that was anything but. I agree with Bow on this point. Fanatics on any side are bad news.

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Janos said:
You can't be a born again Methodist?
Certainly can! Any Christian can be "born again" although the term is commonly only used for Baptists. But you knew that... :D

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jon@lbc said:
Really? I was almost sure he is Baptist.
No he was originally Episcopalian and then he converted to being Methodist because of his wife.

In 1986, at age 40, he became a born-again Christian, leaving the Episcopal Church and joining his wife's denomination, the United Methodist Church.
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W_Bush]

And yes now that I look into it I guess that he is 'Born Again'.

Secret Agent

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
President Bush is a Methodist.

(But so is our favorite Senator from New York. :nuts: )

I think you all know where I stand. :devil: