Christians.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mini-Me said:
Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Not of works, lest any man should boast.

James 2:24
You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

Roman Catholic for my whole life, I have an excellent priest to blame for this ;). This was the good kind of priest not the boy raping Catholic cover up kind.

But um I don't normally go to church with the exception of holidays, and when I have time I try to attend latin mass in St. Louis.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CPangracs said:
Yes,...kind of makes you wonder which Bible some Baptist congregations are reading!:laugh:
The same ones as everyone else, the ones written hundreds of years after the events talked about in them.

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jesus Christ is my savior, no need to say anything else.

And send in the lions, I've got some Federal Premium Slugs for em...

freightshaker

Reaction score
gobeavs said:
Being that I'm not yet 16....only 1

-if my computer counts :devil:

EDIT:

Just to clear up any confusion: No current mormon here does or should have >1 wife.

Needed to put a little disclaimer in there...:D.
I can't keep up with the one I have much less multiple ones. :D

freightshaker

Reaction score
Mini-Me said:
Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

Not of works, lest any man should boast.
That's my favorite verse. They have it up on the wall at church.

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
I'm LDS...(mormon)..

Wait! Don't run away, I'm a nice guy! :p
Not that we aren't or anything :D.
I mean no offense, but I have difficulty in respecting any denomination that feels it has to sell its faith door-to-door

Rabbi

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite verse would be

"2 Kings 2
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!"
24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD . Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

Sounds like a real nice God. I'm not trying to start an argument or a flame war but someone explain how this passage is just and merciful to me. I am curious.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
The Doctor said:
My Mom was Catholic and my Dad a Congregationalist. I was baptized in the Catholic church and confirmed in the Congregational. I go to church about once a year - Christmas or Easter, if I happen to be back in Connecticut - the Congregational church is the only one I feel comfortable in. I accept that Jesus is the Son of God and my savior; but I'm not sure that constitutes born again status. Even though my church attendence is spotty, I do pray on a regular basis. When I was confirmed, we all received our own individual Bible passage. Mine was from Mathew and said "All things ye shall pray for, believing, ye shall receive". I never pray for material things or even specific outcomes to events...I pray for strength, wisdom, courage and serenity for me and those I love...my prayers have always been answered.
Hey nice lines Doc!

Just goes to show your never too old to look at things in a new way.

Thanks

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rabbi said:

"2 Kings 2
23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on up, you baldhead!" they said. "Go on up, you baldhead!"
24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD . Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths."

Sounds like a real nice God. I'm not trying to start an argument or a flame war but someone explain how this passage is just and merciful to me. I am curious.
I doubt any of us are likely to be drawn into a flame war in this thread. I do like Tim McBride's solution for the lions though! ;)

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hogdriver said:
I mean no offense, but I have difficulty in respecting any denomination that feels it has to sell its faith door-to-door
Come on, I thought we were all suspossed go forth and spread the gospel?

I don't mind the LDS missonaries, the majority have been pleasent folks to talk with.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Born and raised a Catholic. My mother though was Church of Ireland.

But our house was never religous so all the scandals in the Catholic Church never really impacted on me anyway as I gave up going to Mass around 17 or so.

Since then I keep an open mind on things. I believe in God as experienced through the existence of the Universe.

I thank God when things go right, pray to him when trouble beckons or had happened but don't feel angry when my prayers don't come true.

Be good to your family and friends, respect your fellow men and women. Give help to those in need if you can. Tell the truth and you are living as well as any human can really.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hogdriver said:
I think you have the Mormons confused with the Jehovah's Witnesses. However, if you really want to get a Mormon's goat if they come to your door, just be well versed in the New Testament and try to save them when they come to your door. Works even better on the JW's! ;)

Last edited:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rabbi said:

"2 Kings 2

Yes you are doing this by taking a verse out of context. Those children were mocking God through their taunting of Elisha, even after they had witnessed a miracle, so God brought them some more "evidence" of His power. This is just one example of God getting through to those with thick skulls. Also, a mauling does not equal killing - think they learned a lesson? Kind of similar to '"you reap what you sow" in my opinion. Next time, try putting the verse in context. I could find singular verses to support ANYTHING I would want to say the Bible supports, good and bad. This is why SMART people will refer to the contextual reference of the Bible and the versus before and after.

Nice try, but you won't get a flame war out of any Christians here,...just corrections to a failed understanding of God's Word.

Have a nice day!

Curt

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On religious diversity:

My wife and I got married last June (second time for both of us).
The wedding was held in a former Catholic church, now a historical landmark in Galveston.
She is a very non-religious Catholic.
I am a religious, but non church going Protestant.
The officiant and best man were LDS.
The maid of honor was Jewish.
One groomsman and the two bride's maids were Catolic.
The other groomsman was Episcolpalian.

Oh, for cultural diversity: I'm a Girngo, my wife and one bride's maid are Mexican, one bride's maid Argentinian and one groomsman Cuban-American.

Who says Republicans don't believe in diversity?

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is the action of God that got my attention; my wake-up call (He's sent me several, but this is the one that got through): my sister died. :OHNO:

I was in my early 30's, she in her late 30's, I'm living in Olympia (south of Seattle), she's still in the black side of Brooklyn (NY City), my mom was still in Boston.

From dance injuries (don't ask!) my sis has a bad back, she'd been popping half-a-dozen-&-often-more Tylenol daily since the age of 18 or so. A quick bit of math: 20 years of overdosing on Tylenol = Big Trouble.

In my sister's case, massive sudden kidney failure. She was cooking dinner for my nephew (just a toddler at the time) & fell over. Toddler nephew rushed to grandma's (the husband's mom, not my mom) who lived 1 floor up in the apartment buildings. 911 called, ambulance comes, sister to hospital, they find her heart stopped etc.; heroic revival & rescucitation, sister in deep coma, my mom rushes down from Boston.

NOW, here's the tesimony:

--My mom, like any good black matron, spends the week in prayer beside her daughter (my sister) who remains in a deep coma. The doctors inform my mom that my sisters' kidneys have both died, so we're looking at a life of dialysis, with possible kidney transplant option not looking good (sister overweight & etc.).

After a week of prayer, my sister wakes up. (It's not like the movies where the person blinks their eyes & starts talking. It's more like, 'random mumblings & eye movements slowly progress to coherent interactive speech" kinda thing). She (sis) prays with mom.

A week later, my sis is off dialysis & has never had to dialyze. Her "dead" kidneys - confirmed dead by multiple blood & tissue tests run over the course of a week in a major NY City hospital - remain fully functional today. My mom called & told me the story; my sis confirmed it.

THAT was the very first start of my ongoing talks with God. I was like, "God, I don't know if I believe in you or not; but thanks for giving me my sister back fully healthy." It's been a wonderful, magical, surprising relationship with God ever since... :D

From that time to my baptism into Christ, took another 8 years. :p My uncles would say about me: "Boy, you got a hard head & a soft behind" (from all the swattin's). :cheeky:

Jon@lbc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Richa333 said:
This is the action of God that got my attention; my wake-up call (He's sent me several, but this is the one that got through): my sister died. :OHNO:

I was in my early 30's, she in her late 30's, I'm living in Olympia (south of Seattle), she's still in the black side of Brooklyn (NY City), my mom was still in Boston.

From dance injuries (don't ask!) my sis has a bad back, she'd been popping half-a-dozen-&-often-more Tylenol daily since the age of 18 or so. A quick bit of math: 20 years of overdosing on Tylenol = Big Trouble.

In my sister's case, massive sudden kidney failure. She was cooking dinner for my nephew (just a toddler at the time) & fell over. Toddler nephew rushed to grandma's (the husband's mom, not my mom) who lived 1 floor up in the apartment buildings. 911 called, ambulance comes, sister to hospital, they find her heart stopped etc.; heroic revival & rescucitation, sister in deep coma, my mom rushes down from Boston.

NOW, here's the tesimony:

--My mom, like any good black matron, spends the week in prayer beside her daughter (my sister) who remains in a deep coma. The doctors inform my mom that my sisters' kidneys have both died, so we're looking at a life of dialysis, with possible kidney transplant option not looking good (sister overweight & etc.).

After a week of prayer, my sister wakes up. (It's not like the movies where the person blinks their eyes & starts talking. It's more like, 'random mumblings & eye movements slowly progress to coherent interactive speech" kinda thing). She (sis) prays with mom.

A week later, my sis is off dialysis & has never had to dialyze. Her "dead" kidneys - confirmed dead by multiple blood & tissue tests run over the course of a week in a major NY City hospital - remain fully functional today. My mom called & told me the story; my sis confirmed it.

THAT was the very first start of my ongoing talks with God. I was like, "God, I don't know if I believe in you or not; but thanks for giving me my sister back fully healthy." It's been a wonderful, magical, surprising relationship with God ever since... :D

From that time to my baptism into Christ, took another 8 years. :p My uncles would say about me: "Boy, you got a hard head & a soft behind" (from all the swattin's). :cheeky:
Thats great thanks a lot that touched my heart.