Christian Nationalism

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I've been a watcher of this for a long time - the rise of Christian nationalism. Years ago, I didn't imagine it would get this far, but what did I know?

The merger of Christian nationalism and the GOP is a dangerous thing. It only seems to get worse and is serving to further divide America. The founders of the country knew how destructive mixing religion and government was and took steps to keep them separated. But the line has been eroding for sometime now.

This cannot end well, unless there's a pushback and solid lines drawn between these two pursuits. America in particular, is based on diversity and inclusion. The Christian nationalist movement threatens our founding mission.

There's talk about the need to compromise. Of course that's what's needed. But compromise from the GOP seems more a thing of the past, largely due I believe to the Christian evangelicals taking such a leading role in GOP politics. This was initiated by Reagan, slowed down with Bush I, ramped up with Bush II, and now ... with the 'chosen one' - Trump.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/471868-rick-perry-says-trump-is-the-chosen-one

There are those in the GOP who also worry about this - it's not a one-sided thing.

What do you think?

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”
- Barry Goldwater (GOP)

Last edited:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”
- Barry Goldwater (GOP)
I have posted this exact quote here many times. -- jim

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I will compromise. Abortions are illegal on Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's. As well as alternate Thursday's.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It isn't Christian Nationalism, it's White Nationalism posing as christians. You can tell that by the fact that only churches that support it are 95% "white". And they aren't nationalists, they're internationalists similar to those Muslims that want to establish a califate throughout the Mid-East and Mediterranean.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree the movement is an international one, but this doesn't minimize the effects in America where it originates and where it's the most impactful. It flairs up in troubled times, and we're seeing it right here, right now. It's authoritarian ways attract the confused and downtrodden. We'll only see more of it.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Congratulations US, you have re-entered the Wars of Religion or decided that Northern Ireland is the model to follow.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right. The guys who lost our Civil War in 1864 never put their weapons down. They're still mad, feel cheated, and want revenge on the infidels.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good piece. Yea, it's about the continued fight about people's rights, but it goes beyond that issue. It's about a number of things.

Part of the story is about a Scots-Irish world-view that pervades the south and other parts of the country. good read:

It's about so-called evangelical religious views (the above all criss-cross). To understand the phenomenon of how the GOP, and now Trump locked arms with white evangelicals check this excellent article by Michael Gerson.

"Trump supporters tend to dismiss moral scruples about his behavior as squeamishness over the president’s “style.” But the problem is the distinctly non-Christian substance of his values. Trump’s unapologetic materialism—his equation of financial and social success with human achievement and worth—is a negation of Christian teaching. His tribalism and hatred for “the other” stand in direct opposition to Jesus’s radical ethic of neighbor love. Trump’s strength-worship and contempt for “losers” smack more of Nietzsche than of Christ. Blessed are the proud. Blessed are the ruthless. Blessed are the shameless. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after fame.

Trump consistently depicts evangelicals as they depict themselves: a mistreated minority, in need of a defender who plays by worldly rules. Christianity is “under siege,” Protecting Christianity, Trump essentially argues, is a job for a bully."

Morality is tossed aside in favor of the desire for power, caused by overriding fear. Power over the others (migrants, Muslims, liberals) who they believe are causing them harm and who they fear is what is craved - not morality or compassion for others as Jesus taught. Worldly power is wanted - and Trump delivers. Jesus.

Last edited: