Chris Roberts = the Gordon Gekko of gaming?

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Whenever I hear CIG go off about how wonderful the Star Citizen 'community' is, I feel embarrassed. Apparently, Star Citizen is now about what Chris Roberts and CIG can get from the community and not what it can give back. Strike that, after reaching nearly 50 million dollars in funding, thanks to us supporters, and greatly surpassing the original 2 million dollar goal, we have generously been given an in game towel! Clearly Gordon Gekko is alive and well at Star Citizen. Don't get me wrong, I support selling ships to support the game - but sooner or later the unadulterated, barefaced greed has to stop. It's high time CIG start giving back to the community instead of trying to fleece it at every turn. A case in point, the Xi'An Scout which went for a hefty $150! Ok, I get Chris Roberts wants to keep making money but in the words of Gordon Gekko's young protege, 'How much is enough, Gordon?'

And it never seems to be enough, even at nearly 50 million - at least not enough to give back to the so called 'community' CIG keeps ballyhooing about. It doesn't take a cynic or major in business science to see what is going on: clearly CIG is pushing the 'community' meme in an effort to create an atmosphere conducive for buying. And it is working - in spades! I for one don't believe a 'community' is defined by money. A community needs to be a two way street; it's not just about taking - it is also about giving. Of course there are people, especially Fanbois, who will argue that supporters are receiving a game and final product. But this is simply purchasing a service - hardly what I call a healthy, robust 'community'!

Which brings me to CCP and EVE. Whatever you want to say about CCP, and I am pretty critical on how they have expanded over the years, at least they understand what 'community' means. They understand that giving is just as important as receiving which is why they build, design and give free ships as a token of their appreciation. It is a far cry from cyber towels! Sure, CCP may have its gaming priorities in a knot but they understand the value of supporters - and good on them!

But perhaps things will turn around at Star Citizen. After all, how much is enough, Chris? Or are we going to continue this unrestrained, in your face, give me your money business model? Oh and here is a free towel - by the way thanks for the 50 mil! But there is a bright side. Instead of a celebratory free ship for supporters upon reaching 50 million, citizens can look forward to seeing their money go towards creating alien languages! After all, its for the 'community'. But I can't help but wonder if the first alien language ever to be translated will be: 'Kallor 300gyk! Shap na tiie hunna! Ani ou ping' (translation: Only $300! Get your ships today! Towel not included).

Last edited:

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Thanks. I really should spend more time on making my posts more readable. But it seems the more effort I put into making a solid piece, the more trouble I get in. :hush:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, Joda, totally illegible ;)

JK

But I agree with Scott, that's a well written piece you have there, something I used to see in PC Gamer every once and a while. I don't follow mainstream gaming media these days so I have no idea if they call out developers on their BS.... or the industry for that matter.

And I thought this is quite relevant:

View attachment 46778

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Yes, Joda, totally illegible ;)

JK

But I agree with Scott, that's a well written piece you have there, something I used to see in PC Gamer every once and a while. I don't follow mainstream gaming media these days so I have no idea if they call out developers on their BS.... or the industry for that matter.

And I thought this is quite relevant:

View attachment 46778

Thanks Kawaiku. To be honest I am just happy to have a place to finally speak my mind. Gamesquad is the number ONE place to be!

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Blues News has a new SC story today and, yeah, this is starting to sound as shady as MechWarrior Online's "gold mechs":

Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added

The Roberts Space Industries website announces an expansion of multiplayer access to Arena Commander, saying an additional 50,000 players have been granted star citizenship to this beta Star Citizen multiplayer module (you can see the module in action in this user-created video). Also, another update introduces the Origin M50 Racer, a new spaceship they are selling for $90.00 USD (actual game and happy endings not included). Just like with sports cars, the pitch here is to go fast and exclude women: "Perfect for the mercenary who prefers speed over armor in a dogfight… or the weekend warrior looking to impress the ladies." Back to where we started, here's word on adding more multiplayer testers:

And it’s all looking good! In addition to eliminating rubber-banding, it looks like the 12.5 fixes have dramatically increased the Arena Commander experience. Today, we made some additional fixes to our server from that data. We’re now comfortable beginning to expand the multiplayer rollout again!

As we head into the weekend, we are expanding the multiplayer base by 50,000 additional Citizens. If your Citizen Number is 250,000 or below, you will now have access to Arena Commander’s multiplayer modes. The team will sit down next week to review the data and make a call on a larger expansion.

This post will be updated as additional players are invited.
The comments are hilarious. Again, very reminiscent of the outage over MechWarrior Online's multiple founders programs and gold mechs. People are not happy with the direction of the game.

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Blues News has a new SC story today and, yeah, this is starting to sound as shady as MechWarrior Online's "gold mechs":

Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added

The comments are hilarious. Again, very reminiscent of the outage over MechWarrior Online's multiple founders programs and gold mechs. People are not happy with the direction of the game.
Yeah, I think it really is over the top now. But you can't say that on RSI Forums. lol.

shunwick

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yeah, I think it really is over the top now. But you can't say that on RSI Forums. lol.
To be fair, I think they already know it. That's why they are so rabid. They have too much invested it the game and it is turning sour on them.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It really is off-putting that a game that has raised millions of dollars is still charging for game content. If I raised $50-odd million dollars, I would be giving stuff away; I would be announcing that henceforth, all content is included for all players. I also would be dialing back on the fund raising - especially since it is now clear that kids are throwing money at the game just be be part of the cool kids crowd. Instead, they are actually ramping the frenzy up!

I don't know what the final game will be like, but I have to say that SC is already leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I think I can add the SC devs to my "disreputable" list.

Meanwhile, Elite: Dangerous is quietly doing its own thing and winning more and more fans every day....

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I am not so sure it is turning sour at this point. What I am playing seems pretty damn good. My issue is their rampant greed. Also how they treat people who are not rabid fans. In terms of the actual game itself, I am happy but would have preferred better ship development. As the person who stood at the forefront for outside designers and a competition, I think the The Next Great Starship competition proved my point. The top 4 contenders were brilliant designs and should all be included. But I also pushed for a non-specific ship competition; however, they wanted mercenary ships. But it doesn't take a genius to see the timeline they are talking about doesn't fit ship designs. They need an OPEN competition: that will truly bring in some stellar designs! After all, the Millennium Falcon came from a hamburger and olive! Want really futuristic ships - an open competition is the way to go.

Last edited:

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
It really is off-putting that a game that has raised millions of dollars is still charging for game content. If I raised $50-odd million dollars, I would be giving stuff away; I would be announcing that henceforth, all content is included for all players. I also would be dialing back on the fund raising - especially since it is now clear that kids are throwing money at the game just be be part of the cool kids crowd. Instead, they are actually ramping the frenzy up!

I don't know what the final game will be like, but I have to say that SC is already leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I think I can add the SC devs to my "disreputable" list.

Meanwhile, Elite: Dangerous is quietly doing its own thing and winning more and more fans every day....
Couldn't agree more although I find Elite Dangerous space not near as immersive with its painted white splashes used as stars. But I do find it amusing that SC Devs use to go on about 'Publishers' and how they were destroying true game development: one has to ask, which is more dangerous to game development: shortcuts which are the hallmark of Publisher based games or rampant greed that is now CIG's calling card?

Joda

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Something interesting: Mr. Roberts trying to justify bilking everyone:

"We’ve had a lot of questions about why we still need to continue crowd funding. The answer is that that money is letting Star Citizen tackle longer term features and content sooner than we normally would. To sustain this level of development, we need to keep bringing in additional funds. Star Citizen is still much less than the other published backed AAA games that have similar levels of ambition (some would even say a little less :) ) like GTA V, Watch Dogs or Destiny."

He seems to have forgotten that the dreaded 'Publisher' won't be draining profits dry compared to the mentioned games! Yep, no dishonesty here. And it's not so much I am against SC making money - of course they need money. But they need to stop milking the 'community' for everything its got. They need to give at least something back - wait? Did someone say more free towels?

Gen_Electric

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another naysayer story. I find it kinda astonishing the guy who has spent $22000 on just about every ship you can buy. At least he can look at them in his hangar. He tries to justify it by saying you can spend that kinda money on other hobbies. But at least you have a real asset that you might be able to sell and get some money back. http://www.wired.com/2015/03/fans-dropped-77m-guys-buggy-half-built-game/

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
$22,000 is a hell of an investment. I hope it works out for everyone that has funded Star Citizen. I'll probably buy the game if and when it comes out. I suppose some of us spent a bit on Elite, although the highest pledge level in the Kickstarter was 'only' £5000.

Postscript. I do a bit annoyed with crappy journalists who claim Chris Roberts invented the 'space sim' with Wing Commander. I was playing Elite on an Acorn Electron seven years before Wing Commander came out.

zalan.reilly

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAlgeria
I would be announcing that henceforth, all content is included for all players. I Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin also would be dialing back on the fund raising - especially since it is now clear that kids are throwing money at the game just be be part of the cool kids crowd. Instead, they are actually ramping the frenzy up!

Last edited: