Chit System

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi

I've just started reading through the rules and keep returning to the chit pull system more and more confused than I was when I first read it!! Help!!

OK - I've re-read again ...... this is how I am reading it - is this right?

Using Situation HOD8 as an example......

The British player puts 2 Op0 chits and 1 Op1 chit in "the cup" and the German player puts in 2 Op0 and 2 Op1 chits into the same cup.

This makes a total of 7 chits in the cup.

We then start the Chit pull system.

One player pulls out a chit at random and the owning player of that chit can choose to use it.

If its an Op's chit for example - they put it on the board and then can conduct one of the 4 operations.

Does play stay on that turn and more chits are drawn, playing each one drawn ... unless both players choose not to play thier chits if drawn consecutively? If this occurs the turn then ends? Do you still get the Admin segment?

It also states that no action is performed on the last chit drawn - does this mean that, for example, the last chit in the cup is one of your Op chits...does this mean you cannot conduct an operation but move onto the Admin segment, resolving your AR first?

You then put all the chits back in the cup and start the next turn?

Finally - on Turn 4 do you put your chits in as above, but this time the British player adds in a reenforcement chit?

Would I be right in saying that it is possible for the reenforcements not to come into play should both players consecetively decide not to play a chit before the British player pulls out the reenforcement chit?

I hope what I've asked makes sense??? I think this is the way to play it.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers

Sandyman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorry Gen. I found the forum and could see people talking about PanzerBlitz the new version so I thought I could get some help here.

You are not going insane my friend :)

I remember the original game in a local store many years ago - nearly bought it way back then. Finally got around to the 'next gen' version :)

Reaction score
Sorry Gen. I found the forum and could see people talking about PanzerBlitz the new version so I thought I could get some help here.

You are not going insane my friend :)

I remember the original game in a local store many years ago - nearly bought it way back then. Finally got around to the 'next gen' version :)

I don't think the original Panzer Leader influenced John Hill much, but it's pretty easy to trace a line of development from PanzerBlitz -> Panzer Leader -> Squad Leader Series -> ASL Series. If nothing else, the success of the Panzer Series influenced how Don Greenwood of AH went about developing and marketing the Squad Leader Series.

The original games are quite good, especially considering that they are still relatively inexpensive. They are somewhat "dated" by today's standards, when compared to the block and area control wargames that are popular now. Still, I think they hold up rather well.

I have been interested in getting the new MMP game, but ASL is more pressing at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi

I've just started reading through the rules and keep returning to the chit pull system more and more confused than I was when I first read it!! Help!!

OK - I've re-read again ...... this is how I am reading it - is this right?

Using Situation HOD8 as an example......

The British player puts 2 Op0 chits and 1 Op1 chit in "the cup" and the German player puts in 2 Op0 and 2 Op1 chits into the same cup.

This makes a total of 7 chits in the cup.

We then start the Chit pull system.

One player pulls out a chit at random and the owning player of that chit can choose to use it.

If its an Op's chit for example - they put it on the board and then can conduct one of the 4 operations.

Does play stay on that turn and more chits are drawn, playing each one drawn ... unless both players choose not to play thier chits if drawn consecutively? If this occurs the turn then ends? Do you still get the Admin segment?

It also states that no action is performed on the last chit drawn - does this mean that, for example, the last chit in the cup is one of your Op chits...does this mean you cannot conduct an operation but move onto the Admin segment, resolving your AR first?

You then put all the chits back in the cup and start the next turn?

Finally - on Turn 4 do you put your chits in as above, but this time the British player adds in a reenforcement chit?

Would I be right in saying that it is possible for the reenforcements not to come into play should both players consecetively decide not to play a chit before the British player pulls out the reenforcement chit?

I hope what I've asked makes sense??? I think this is the way to play it.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers

Sandyman
Well, of course the number on the chit is it's range in hexes...although you won't read that in the rules, it is the first item in the published errata.

Once placed on the board, all units in range can perform ANY operation (not just one of the four, as you said) as long as it's done in the correct order...declare IPs, place ARs, direct fire, and movement with it's subsection of advancing fire, overruns, CAT attacks and Panzerblitz attacks. The units in range of the Op Chit are NOT restricted to one "type" of operation. Even with a "0" Chit you can have one unit fire, another move to overrun, and the third allowable (per stacking rules) unit roll for recovery.

Regardless of how the Operation segment ends (consecutive passing or last chit in cup) the turn then progresses to the Administration segment, so certainly the Artillery will come down. Passing doesn't change that.

If a re-inforcement chit is not used on the turn it is provided, again from consecutive passing or by being the last chit in the cup, it is by the rules utilized as the FIRST CHIT PLAYED in the next turn. Regular drawing would recommence after the re-inforcement chit is played.

I can't imagine a reason for the owner of a re-inforcement chit in the cup to pass and end the turn...why delay your re-inforcement pool a whole turn?

Yes...if you own the last chit in the cup, you do not get to use it on the board and it is in essence lost for the turn. The thin benefit you get is that your Arty comes down first. Of course, if you have HIS arty spotter under an AR, you get a chance to disrupt him and therefore remove his AR counter before he gets to use it. Can be a major bonus if it works that way for you...or a heartbreaker if it's used against you.

Your comments on the assembly of chits at the beginning of the turn are esentially correct...but don't forget to include any Air Support chits, Re-inforcement chits, or new chits (or chit changes) granted by the scenario card for the turn in question.

Hope I understood the questions being answered and managed to be of help.

RG

Reaction score
Well, of course the number on the chit is it's range in hexes...although you won't read that in the rules, it is the first item in the published errata.

Once placed on the board, all units in range can perform ANY operation (not just one of the four, as you said) as long as it's done in the correct order...declare IPs, place ARs, direct fire, and movement with it's subsection of advancing fire, overruns, CAT attacks and Panzerblitz attacks. The units in range of the Op Chit are NOT restricted to one "type" of operation. Even with a "0" Chit you can have one unit fire, another move to overrun, and the third allowable (per stacking rules) unit roll for recovery.

Regardless of how the Operation segment ends (consecutive passing or last chit in cup) the turn then progresses to the Administration segment, so certainly the Artillery will come down. Passing doesn't change that.

If a re-inforcement chit is not used on the turn it is provided, again from consecutive passing or by being the last chit in the cup, it is by the rules utilized as the FIRST CHIT PLAYED in the next turn. Regular drawing would recommence after the re-inforcement chit is played.

I can't imagine a reason for the owner of a re-inforcement chit in the cup to pass and end the turn...why delay your re-inforcement pool a whole turn?

Yes...if you own the last chit in the cup, you do not get to use it on the board and it is in essence lost for the turn. The thin benefit you get is that your Arty comes down first. Of course, if you have HIS arty spotter under an AR, you get a chance to disrupt him and therefore remove his AR counter before he gets to use it. Can be a major bonus if it works that way for you...or a heartbreaker if it's used against you.

Your comments on the assembly of chits at the beginning of the turn are esentially correct...but don't forget to include any Air Support chits, Re-inforcement chits, or new chits (or chit changes) granted by the scenario card for the turn in question.

Hope I understood the questions being answered and managed to be of help.

RG
Thanks for bailing me out!

FWIW to new players, the PB2 sounds much more complicated than the original AH releases.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks RG for your help - much apprciated.

I am hoping to set up a game this weekend and play through the rules :)

Am I right in saying that Situation HOD8 will be the easiest/quickest to play first?? It seems to have less counters.

Cheers

BobO

Argentine Dove Hunter
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the original PB lately? A unit can move OR shoot. I'd say that's a LOT less complicated than the chit draw, but hey...
1. Yup - playing the current one too

2. I guess some people's 'much more complicated' is equivalent to other people's 'slightly more complicated'. I'm betting most people who have played both games extensively would fall in the 'slightly more complicated' pool.