China-Burma-India, Volume 2?

Dave Lamb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone from the St. Louis Group made any comment on whether a China-Burma-India, volume 2 is under development or ready for a release in the foreseeable future?

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who published the first China-Burma-India? (Probably missed out on it anyway)

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Did anyone play the Merrill’s Marauders scenarios from one of the old journals?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Did anyone play the Merrill’s Marauders scenarios from one of the old journals?
Just which scenario wuz this? I do not recall any from the Journals. There were multiple Unit Galahad scenarios in the Annuals. Yes, I've played them.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I don’t remember completely. They had airborne troops with underlined 7 morale to represent Rangers. I was thinking with KWASL’s dedicated ranger units we can upgrade that in future Ranger situations.

Imighthaveit

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wild Bill Wilder's Pack "Special Forces Series 4 - Hard Luck Heroes - Burma 1942-45 - Merrill’s Marauders24874

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I don’t like too many new MMC. There has to be a really good reason, and that reason is never just novelty. I’m more about adding to the core stock: Rangers do this. It’s why there should be more Italians for the RSI and for elite units. You can put them in wherever needed, not just specific.

I only think the Merrill’s Marauders scenarios should be updated or expanded because whether 7 or 8 morale, the Annuals are older than many players at this point.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Merrill's Marauders scenarios: (AH/MMP)
Smith & Weston
Orange at Walawbum
Last of their Strength

There is also the mini-HASL from the AH '96 (?) or '97(?) Annual (with an additional scenario published in an early Journal)

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Nhpum Ga Annual '97 w/map.
J55 Matsumoto's Charge Journal 3

All available in the Wargame Vault

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Merrill's Marauders scenarios: (AH/MMP)
Smith & Weston
Orange at Walawbum
Last of their Strength

There is also the mini-HASL from the AH '96 (?) or '97(?) Annual (with an additional scenario published in an early Journal)
All three upgraded and reissued by MMP as #155, #154 & #158 respectively with the release of Rising Sun. As stated by Hutch the HASL was Nhpum Ga with an additional scenario for it in Journal 3 as J55. As to Paramarine's statement that the units represented Rangers, that is simply NOT the case. The 5307th Composit (Provisional) wasn't ever designated as a Ranger unit nor were the personnel specifically trained as or denoted as Rangers. Most of the volunteer personnel were from regular combat units that had previously had combat experience against the Japanese in the South Pacific or had newer personnel that had volunteered for the unit (though not all were volunteers). My uncle for instance was assigned to the unit because of his experience with mules prior to the war and had "volunteered" for the assignment because of the potential work with them and the "what the heck, we're at war anyway" attitude. That they performed many of the missions that Rangers perform today is more of a coincidence of theater need and their commander's intent rather than upon any intentional effort to model them as Rangers. Establishment of the Rangers would be in the European Theater pushed by COL William O'Darby and later in the Pacific Theater, modeled after the Marine Raider Battalions, for the US Army.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
They left the impression so much that the permanent Ranger formations kept their unit symbol. As far as I’m concerned, they’re no less than the official Rangers.

Now the “Raiders” of today aren’t at all a lineage of the WW2 Raiders. I think it’s an awful name and it misses the point: they were folded in with the Marine regiments and, if anything, the 3rd Marine Division are their heirs…even though their standards have plummeted in the past decades.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
waiting since 2018, myself.
Me too, great little HASL and love the board, they did a great job.

I wish they would do something else in that theater, there is much there with no coverage in ASL, I sure am looking at it for future Dispatches scenarios but would love to see them publish a follow up.