Chessmaster

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I um, brushed my Chessmaster off yesterday. Started playing a few games (7mins a game).

I played some <1000 point games and found they move pieces very fast, but not always well. By moving fast it means there is pressure on me because my clock is always ticking down. They barely use 5 seconds of think time.

Playing against tougher opposition, i had longer to think because they generally use most of their time. However, the PC is much too good for me.

Its good playing 7 minute games. 2 games in half an hour and it forces me to make moves without second guessing.

I get my Chessmaster out probably once a year and enjoy playing it. I always wonder why i ever put it away.

Just some thoughts.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still like to spar against CM. It is the best program hands-down when it comes to AI opponents. I like to use the infinite time mode when I play. What I usually do is play a move and walk away to do some chores, etc. and allow the computer time to think. When I am ready to play again, I force it to make a move and the game continues in this fashion. It makes for some very interesting games. The only down side is that on infinite time, even the weakest opponent becomes VERY strong. Even though I am rated around 1700, with infinite time, the strongest CM opponent I can play and win against is around 1400.

Another great feature of CM are the tourneys. It is great fun to set-up a tourney against various computer opponents. It is not only interesting to watch them fight it out, it is fun to compete against 'em as well.

I do hope Ubi will get on the ball and release CM11 already. It's been far too long between editions.

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I like the tournys also.

I pick a couple of personalities below my level, and a couple just above my level. Then play like a roudn robin.

Means all the games are competative and i should win a few and loose a few. So if i can beat a higher ranked opponant i have a chance to do better than i thought. But loosing a game to a lower opponant, means i have to beat a higher ranked opponant just to break even! Good times :)

Also, i noticed when i upgraded PC's the rank of the personalities changed (they must be linked to computer performance???).

Billy (CM personality w/ strength 1000) and i combined to have a fierce rivalry. I could beat players ranked higher than "Billy", but couldnt beat Billy who "likes to play for draws". I played against him twice as white and twice as black, but needing a "break" to win. After the 4 games it was 2-all so we played on until either he or i had a "break" and a lead of two games(similar to a tie break in tennis or volleyball). I ended up loosing something like 10 games to 8, with 9 draws. But it took nearly 2 weeks of playing to get the result and every game was a nailbiter.

I hated playing against Billy.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, i noticed when i upgraded PC's the rank of the personalities changed (they must be linked to computer performance???).
This is an aspect of CM that I still don't quite understand. I posted the same question once in the CM forum and was told that, no, the ratings of the players do not change based upon your PC specs. I thought I was mistaken at the time, but now that you report seeing the same thing, I think I was right all along. I believe the ratings are dynamic and based upon your system specs.

I, too, had a fierce rivalry with one of the AI players (I forget his name). Like you, I could not beat him, but I could beat players that were rated higher than him. This had me scratching my head for a while until I posted my observations over at the CM forum. There, a bunch of other guys tried playing this AI opponent, as well as matching him against other AI opponents, and discovered that his rating was deflated...he actually had a much higher rating than the program claimed! It was a bug in the program. :) Knowing that made me feel better. :D

Lurker

Reaction score
I have an old version of Fritz (ver 7) that I haven't played in a very long time, but that one would allow different time settings for each player if I'm not mistaken. That way you can set your time higher to give you a fighting chance.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have Fritz 9 and found the AI to be impossible to play against in a constructive fashion. Basically, there are two choices: Fritz at full strength (you're doomed!), or Fritz as an idiot (you could play blindfolded and still win). There is a mode where Fritz supposedly adjusts it's strength to yours, but in practice this means that Fritz plays at full strength but makes random (glaring) errors to give you a chance at winning.

It is not at all suitable as a sparring partner.

Foggy

Reaction score
I have Fritz 9 and found the AI to be impossible to play against in a constructive fashion. Basically, there are two choices: Fritz at full strength (you're doomed!), or Fritz as an idiot (you could play blindfolded and still win). There is a mode where Fritz supposedly adjusts it's strength to yours, but in practice this means that Fritz plays at full strength but makes random (glaring) errors to give you a chance at winning.

It is not at all suitable as a sparring partner.
That's sound like the error I just made in our game:eek:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's sound like the error I just made in our game:eek:
In the best tradition of Catholic Bishops, my e3 Bishop gave his life for his flock....:)

Seeing the morale of the White Army beginning to falter, the bishop cried out "God give me strength!" and charged the Black king's bodyguard, striking one down with his holy staff. The overlord of the Black Army grinned and drew his gladius, striking at the neck of the bishop in reprisal, staining the battlefield with the clergyman's sanctified blood.

Seeing the distraction caused by the bishop's attack, the White charioteer penetrated the enemy's frontline and struck down an enemy charioteer. "You have been avenged, my mentor," remarked Capt. Rook softly to the wind....:horse:

Last edited: