Chess

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
However it can be in the wargame section as chess is the oldest wargame.

Kramnik (Russian) has defeated Leko (Hungarian) in the last game so the summary of the whole gameset is even which means Kramnik is still the chess champion.

Russians have a long (and unbroken) list of chess champions.

Congratulations!

(and congratulations Leko to be close to the championship)

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
laszlo.nemedi said:

Kramnik (Russian) has defeated Leko (Hungarian) in the last game so the summary of the whole gameset is even which means Kramnik is still the chess champion.

Congratulations!

wanna play me laszlo ?
we can meet on yahoo easily ;)
btw i already suggested that chess become a wargamming section just because of what you said

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
viridomaros said:
wanna play me laszlo ?
we can meet on yahoo easily ;)
btw i already suggested that chess become a wargamming section just because of what you said
I love chess, I would play someone on yahoo sometime.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just finsihed an excellent game two nights ago. I love chess. Just started to get back into it this year. A long time ago we had a discussion about it in the boardgames forum. I would love to have a game of chess. Perhaps we could organize a tournament.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Well when I was in the secondary school I played chess many times and I was second in my school on that. I played with a Master, too, and I was not bad (however I lost the game :rolleyes: ).

We can make a game here, too, as you can send the step in text and we can make a chessboard as picture here.

Archamus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JDobbs said:
I like to play chess but I only get to play during my study time at school.
We're no longer allowed to play chess in school (at any time). It was added to the quickly growing list of things we aren't allowed to bring to school......like collage kids......and spears.....

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
while I was studying Physics at university, our common room had 4 chess boards that we managed to dragoon people into playing :D

however, we played mainly "taunting abuse" chess, where the goal wasn't so much to win but to hurl abuse at your opponent in the most amusing manner for the crowd of slightly sloshed uni students :D

One of those guys actually dropped out of uni to become a chess Grand Master...

there was also the old favourite: speed chess - 1 minute on the timer each :D (meaning that you have one minute total playing time - not per move ;) )

used to play 10-15 games a day depending on assignments and classes

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
while I was studying Physics at university, our common room had 4 chess boards that we managed to dragoon people into playing :D

however, we played mainly "taunting abuse" chess, where the goal wasn't so much to win but to hurl abuse at your opponent in the most amusing manner for the crowd of slightly sloshed uni students :D

One of those guys actually dropped out of uni to become a chess Grand Master...

there was also the old favourite: speed chess - 1 minute on the timer each :D (meaning that you have one minute total playing time - not per move ;) )

used to play 10-15 games a day depending on assignments and classes
Wow...sounds like me a few years from now...

I am planning to go into physics, and that sounds like something I would do :D. I already am wasting too much school time playing calculator games with my friend, and he just got a chess game for it yesterday...:devious:

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I forgot to mention the other most common variant: drinking chess.

also caused alcohol to banned in the department, but we certainly had ways around that :D

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Archamus said:
We're no longer allowed to play chess in school (at any time). It was added to the quickly growing list of things we aren't allowed to bring to school......like collage kids......and spears.....
Yeah, chess is very dangerous... :nuts:

scuud

Reaction score
Yah, according to our rules we can't bring in playing cards either, but it mentions nothing about roulette wheels :D

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
scuud said:
Yah, according to our rules we can't bring in playing cards either, but it mentions nothing about roulette wheels :D
Man, Sounds like your school is a prison! We play cards at least once a week, and there is a chess club that meets before school once a month.

Juno

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
laszlo.nemedi said:

Congratulations!

Has Kasparov whined about how it wasn't a FIDE sanctioned event yet and how it threatens the cohesion of proffessional chess (conveniently forgetting about his own foray with the PCC)? Kasparov plays Kasimdzhanov this year for the FIDE championship.

Kind of silly. Kasimdzhanov is ranked #25. Kramnik is #4 and Leko is #5. But I think the politics of chess is keeping them out of it - ie: They decided to play for a world championship that wasn't recognised by FIDE. This has been going on for years (decades?). I wish they would stick to one regulatory body and one championship. I mean, can you imagine if they had two Superbowls and the top two teams never played each other because of politics.

Fischer. An ill man but a brilliant chess player during his time.

Last edited: