Chess Clocks in ASL

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Quite the opposite.

I don't think it would work in a tournament setting. Too many people have no interest in making a meaningful chess clock system work. At best you will get passive aggressive obstruction and at worst you will get people who run out of time refusing to abide by the result.

With a chess clock casual play between consenting quick players is turned into an exciting and tense event....not unlike an actual tactical encounter.
I have heard / been told they have used chess clocks for years in Australian Tournaments. So I don't think it's correct to say it wouldn't work, because it has, based on this information. I haven't been to such a tournament, though. But I have no reason to doubt this report.

If two people can get together and play with a chess clock, then four people can. then 8 people can, etc. At that point, you have a tournament.

I do agree imposing it on an existing tournament with the usual cast of characters, might be very difficult.

However, it's probably not at all impossible to declare a tournament a (VASL) chess clock tournament and attract like-minded players.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I have heard / been told they have used chess clocks for years in Australian Tournaments. So I don't think it's correct to say it wouldn't work, because it has, based on this information. I haven't been to such a tournament, though. But I have no reason to doubt this report.

If two people can get together and play with a chess clock, then four people can. then 8 people can, etc. At that point, you have a tournament.

I do agree imposing it on an existing tournament with the usual cast of characters, might be very difficult.

However, it's probably not at all impossible to declare a tournament a (VASL) chess clock tournament and attract like-minded players.
Yes the Australians have said it's been used and worked at some of their events. Agree with you about the difficulties of using clocks at an existing event.
I'm still waiting for Jazz to announce his Jazzfest using chess clocks and limited time between actions. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes the Australians have said it's been used and worked at some of their events. Agree with you about the difficulties of using clocks at an existing event.
I'm still waiting for Jazz to announce his Jazzfest using chess clocks and limited time between actions. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰
yes including measuring how long it takes to hit the chess clock button when done. This counts as a new close combat action.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

Of course, it an event is billed as being run using clocks it will tend to attract those who are willing to make a clock work and repel those who do not.

My statement assumes that the discussion is about clocks introduced to an existing event where there is a perception (reality?) that slow play on the part of some attendees is confounding the efforts of the organizers. That will fundamentally change the character of such an event and in all probability drive a number of attendees away from the event.

I would be tickled pink if there was a VASL event organized around Chess Clock usage. Billing it as such will attract those who want a clock to work and those who do not will exclude themselves.....which are good things.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Awaiting Chess Clock functionality in VASL.....

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Of course, it an event is billed as being run using clocks it will tend to attract those who are willing to make a clock work and repel those who do not.

My statement assumes that the discussion is about clocks introduced to an existing event where there is a perception (reality?) that slow play on the part of some attendees is confounding the efforts of the organizers. That will fundamentally change the character of such an event and in all probability drive a number of attendees away from the event.

I would be tickled pink if there was a VASL event organized around Chess Clock usage. Billing it as such will attract those who want a clock to work and those who do not will exclude themselves.....which are good things.
It's all in your hands! Jazzfest 2021!!๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Thinking about it, it will be more of an exploration of the topic among willing participants more than any sort of tournament or competition.

A number of questions need raised and answers proposed and tested.

More of a prolonged focused group discussion more than anything else...at least to start.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Thinking about it, it will be more of an exploration of the topic among willing participants more than any sort of tournament or competition.

A number of questions need raised and answers proposed and tested.

More of a prolonged focused group discussion more than anything else...at least to start.
Excellent way to approach it!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Excellent way to approach it!!๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—
For all my joking around I do find the concept of a speed ASL event very intriguing. Please post any thoughts on this, perhaps in a dedicated thread. Captain Bacchus, Colonel Cuervo and I would be most interested and more than willing to offer our collective thoughts on such a worthy endeavor. ๐Ÿค—

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well, I've played a guy that liked to play exceptionally fast and just didn't bother to count the VCA changes for vehicles in his MP expenditures. It sped the game right along.
Well there are some shortcuts!??!๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคช

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The rule of thumb that we've used for total time is:

30 seconds per turn per MMC (infantry unit?)
60 seconds per turn per vehicle
Wait...so a 6 turn game with 10 squads on each side should only take 60 minutes to play?

๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
The devil is in the details.....When I do the math (arithmetic actually) it comes to each side would spent 30 minutes (1800 seconds) actively shooting and moving. As I see it, the clock is stopped for attack resolutions, MCs, administration, rulz dives, etc.... Just about every roll of the dice will stop the clock to resolve something.

No time to lolly gag. Tactics is and should be a visceral endeavor. Well within the possible if people don't ponder as much as act. Pull your damn thumb out.....

Of course, fine tuning that sort of thing is what an investigation would be all about. Still, in my experience those times are pretty close to right....maybe a bit tight, but I think that is a good thing.

How long does it take you to play a 6 turn scenario with 10 squads on each side?

Last edited: