Chess Clocks in ASL

dur

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never played with a chess clock, but my main FTF opponent and I will play games "lightning" style where we agree to spend no more than 10 seconds between decisions. It has led to some pretty exciting scenarios. The "snap decisionmaking" that Hill originally designed the system for is so much more fun than sitting and staring at the board for 5 minutes working out dice probabilities in your head.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I've never played with a chess clock, but my main FTF opponent and I will play games "lightning" style where we agree to spend no more than 10 seconds between decisions. It has led to some pretty exciting scenarios. The "snap decisionmaking" that Hill originally designed the system for is so much more fun than sitting and staring at the board for 5 minutes working out dice probabilities in your head.
Very nice and sounds quite exciting, and fast!!

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Jazz says here, chess clocks won't work to speed play of a slow player. It only works as a way for two like minded players to add a new, exciting dimension to play. In the long run, the benefit to these players is the ability to prioritize their thinking process. Players should learn to think about the important considerations and not obsess over relative meaningless HS moves in the backfield. Chess clocks should be used for the experience, not a competitive advantage nor a punitive tool...
JMHO,
Steve

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
My own "John Hill" mode of ASL goes like this: After the RPh, there's a two minute break where both players can think about their plans. After that, you play without pause. You don't have to hurry, but you aren't allowed to stop and think. There may be a second or two of delay sometimes, you can't avoid that, but you should try to minimize that.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
No, actually it is not difficult at all to determine how much time each side gets. I went through the process in an earlier post. Of course, just losing the scenario will seem like a harsh judgment if one runs out of time, especially to those who tend toward slower play.

Interesting idea about using total reported time. I personally think there are a lot of gamey things that people could pull trying to win such a criteria.....like not looking up rulz even though both players are not sure what the rule actually says....but with proper constraints and rules as to when the clock runs on who's time and when it gets stopped, it is an idea that has potential.

I am afraid that it will still require everybody to WANT the clock to work for it to happen in a meaningful way. Much easier to find one opponent that wants to play with the clock and do it for your own gratification.
Jazz I replied to this post suggesting you run an event of some kind using chess clocks and very limited time between actions. I proposed it should be called Speedy Jazzfest. However I've been giving this a lot of thought and came up with what I believe is a better name. One that encapsulates what it's all about

Blitzfest!!!! What do you think? Let me know.😉😉🤗🤗🤣🤣

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Jazz I replied to this post suggesting you run an event of some kind using chess clocks and very limited time between actions. I proposed it should be called Speedy Jazzfest. However I've been giving this a lot of thought and came up with what I believe is a better name. One that encapsulates what it's all about

Blitzfest!!!! What do you think? Let me know.😉😉🤗🤗🤣🤣
I wuz kind of enamored with "Jazzfest" but I am willing to step aside to meet the wishes of the community..... ;)

I think the best option would be to incorporate the reputed VASSAL chess clock functionality into VASL.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I wuz kind of enamored with "Jazzfest" but I am willing to step aside to meet the wishes of the community..... ;)

I think the best option would be to incorporate the reputed VASSAL chess clock functionality into VASL.
Blitzfest just a thought I came up with while discussing the matter with Captain Bacchus. If Jazzfest gets the project rolling I'm happy with that!😊

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I had a game where all the attackers roared out in the open on Turn 1. Some got shot, some didn't. But it was over on (before?) Turn 3.

Fastest play I have ever seen. Completely thought-free.

Fun.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definition of contradiction: He who hesitates is lost. But look before you leap!

galad2003

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe for a tournament but not for casual play. The best way might be not to have it as a penalty where if someone runs out of time they lose but just to measure how long each player takes. If the scenario is not won at the end of the allocated time and a judge has to make a decision they could consult the clock to see if one player took an inordinate amount of time.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe for a tournament but not for casual play. The best way might be not to have it as a penalty where if someone runs out of time they lose but just to measure how long each player takes. If the scenario is not won at the end of the allocated time and a judge has to make a decision they could consult the clock to see if one player took an inordinate amount of time.
I feel the same way. Well said.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Popped up the chess clocks at ASL tournaments thread I started. Quite a lively topic, lots of viewpoints and opinions about clocks. 😊

OMOOT so I don't know how to put a link to it.😔

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Quite the opposite.

I don't think it would work in a tournament setting. Too many people have no interest in making a meaningful chess clock system work. At best you will get passive aggressive obstruction and at worst you will get people who run out of time refusing to abide by the result.

With a chess clock casual play between consenting quick players is turned into an exciting and tense event....not unlike an actual tactical encounter.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Popped up the chess clocks at ASL tournaments thread I started. Quite a lively topic, lots of viewpoints and opinions about clocks. 😊

OMOOT so I don't know how to put a link to it.😔
Jazz's post shows a different side of the clocks are ok viewpoint as opposed to the we wont use them faction. Like I said a lively topic. 😉

Btw I am with Jazz on this.