Chess clocks at ASL tournaments, feasibility, thoughts, experience

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think "rears it's ugly head" is a more apt description?
Now, now, dont feel that way. Birth is a messy affair and none of the born look great after first popping out. It will grow on you and Jazz's love child will be a thing of beauty!πŸ€—πŸ€—

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Have we ever actually met? In the flesh? Just checking.
You and I? Not really sure as I have a horrible memory for names and faces. Especially my relatives which is really embarrassing. πŸ™„πŸ™„

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Now, now, dont feel that way. Birth is a messy affair and none of the born look great after first popping out. It will grow on you and Jazz's love child will be a thing of beauty!πŸ€—πŸ€—
If you can get Pleva to be the godfather that would be another big step!πŸ€—πŸ€—

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Have we ever actually met? In the flesh? Just checking.
Most likely would have been at Oktoberfest if we did. My apologies if we've met and I forgot. Really bad at such things. Same goes out to others I may have encountered and forgotten. Nothing personal, I just suck.πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Most likely would have been at Oktoberfest if we did. My apologies if we've met and I forgot. Really bad at such things. Same goes out to others I may have encountered and forgotten. Nothing personal, I just suck.πŸ˜”πŸ˜”πŸ˜”
I think I saw you at ASLOK one or two times when you showed up with Fish? Don't think we've been formally introduced.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I think I saw you at ASLOK one or two times when you showed up with Fish? Don't think we've been formally introduced.
I would have definitely stood out at ASLOk. Fat, old bald guy with glasses. Couldn't miss me!πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I also did this but could not actually get it to work in VASL. It works fine when you're modifying the extension, but when you actually load the extension into VASL, it doesn't work.
I guess we'll have to wait for the VASL gurus to get to it. I suspect some players would just view it as pointless clutter, so probably better just as an extension rather than in the base module.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'm a fairly expeditious player; unreasonably slow play in a tournament can really irk me. For a friendly game, this doesn't bother me. But I'm not sure if I'd be more irritated with a slow tournament player OR having to manage the logistics of starting and stopping a clock/timer at the beginning and end of every single phase in every single player turn in the game. It would take on a life of it's own (at least to me) and distract from the actual game, thus advantaging the slower player. So the clock would "get in my head" as the faster player. So I respectfully would pass on the chess clock option, and choose to suffer in silence during the 30-minute MPh...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
I'm a fairly expeditious player; unreasonably slow play in a tournament can really irk me. For a friendly game, this doesn't bother me. But I'm not sure if I'd be more irritated with a slow tournament player OR having to manage the logistics of starting and stopping a clock/timer at the beginning and end of every single phase in every single player turn in the game. It would take on a life of it's own (at least to me) and distract from the actual game, thus advantaging the slower player. So the clock would "get in my head" as the faster player. So I respectfully would pass on the chess clock option, and choose to suffer in silence during the 30-minute MPh...
Again, playing with a clock is NOT a good way to make slow players play faster and should not be used as such.

Playing with a clock IS a way to introduce a dimension of tension and decision making pressure between consenting normal/fast players that makes the game that much more like real-life tactical situations.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I also did this but could not actually get it to work in VASL. It works fine when you're modifying the extension, but when you actually load the extension into VASL, it doesn't work.
Stephen Stewart was posting about this on the Facebook. He apparently got it to work. I think the answer is that you must create a clock for each side but see his posts for more details. I have tried to link to his FB post but it may not (probably wont) work.

This won't be in VASL6.6.2 but could make 6.6.3 in the fall if it is as straightforward at Stephen says. Probably would do it as an extension as there will be those

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Again, playing with a clock is NOT a good way to make slow players play faster and should not be used as such.

Playing with a clock IS a way to introduce a dimension of tension and decision making pressure between consenting normal/fast players that makes the game that much more like real-life tactical situations.
Agree. Slow players are going to be slow, no matter what. Chess clocks among consenting adults is no problem. Sort of like speed dating for ASL.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Stephen Stewart was posting about this on the Facebook. He apparently got it to work. I think the answer is that you must create a clock for each side but see his posts for more details. I have tried to link to his FB post but it may not (probably wont) work.

This won't be in VASL6.6.2 but could make 6.6.3 in the fall if it is as straightforward at Stephen says. Probably would do it as an extension as there will be those
What FB forum/group was his post in?

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

Once again well said. Forcing someone to use a clock is a non starter. Obviously I'm a great proponent of its use, as you have so succinctly put forth, to add a different dimension to the game.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Alas, needle in a haystack.

I await your implementation...... ;)
Merely a minor delay! The Jazz Juggernaut will not be stopped by trivial details!

Although I will admit the absence of a clock does present a problem. πŸ€”πŸ˜‰

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Alas, needle in a haystack.

I await your implementation...... ;)
Did you click on the link my message? It didn't work when I first tried it but when I clicked on it today it took me to Stew's post. In VASL btw.