Cheers from Australia

ZacBruce

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi all,

Just a brief introduction, I've lurked around for a while and even had an account previously. I've found the forums hugely helpful in getting my head around ASL/ASLSK.
I'm yet to play a full game of ASL, although I have BV and the rulebooks. I've played ASLSK1 quite a few times solo, and liked the experience enough to want to dive in for the real thing.
Usually most of my free time is taken up playing or studying 'Go' (Baduk/Weiqi), but I've been making the time to read through the relevant bits of chapters A and B.

I've had a long time interest in WWII, through movies and books, and use to spend a lot of time playing all different board/card games. I tried a few different (lite) war games that never quite scratched my itch. I figured there must be something to a game which still has such a loyal fan base after all these years, so chose ASLSK1 to test the waters.

I'd love to have someone to play f2f, but even if I don't find someone I'm sure I'm going to have a great time soloing the scenarios, or I might think about VASL. Already thinking I should snatch up a copy of Yanks! while it's available and Red Factories looks tempting too...

Zac

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Just a brief introduction, I've lurked around for a while and even had an account previously. I've found the forums hugely helpful in getting my head around ASL/ASLSK.
I'm yet to play a full game of ASL, although I have BV and the rulebooks. I've played ASLSK1 quite a few times solo, and liked the experience enough to want to dive in for the real thing.
Usually most of my free time is taken up playing or studying 'Go' (Baduk/Weiqi), but I've been making the time to read through the relevant bits of chapters A and B.

I've had a long time interest in WWII, through movies and books, and use to spend a lot of time playing all different board/card games. I tried a few different (lite) war games that never quite scratched my itch. I figured there must be something to a game which still has such a loyal fan base after all these years, so chose ASLSK1 to test the waters.

I'd love to have someone to play f2f, but even if I don't find someone I'm sure I'm going to have a great time soloing the scenarios, or I might think about VASL. Already thinking I should snatch up a copy of Yanks! while it's available and Red Factories looks tempting too...

Zac
VASL is the way to go. Little bits of time and you could play someone to walk you through some of the more intricate parts of ASL. Definitely worth the spent time.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Agreed. I'm not sure whether finding opponents for live VASL play is in your time zone - VASL makes PBEM play quite viable, but when you're mostly learning the ropes this might not be best.

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi all,

Zac
Hi Zac

I see you are in Hobart. I am in Melbourne (Coburg) so if you ever this way drop me PM..or we can do VASL

Cheers

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Zac
Hi Zac,
As others have pointed out, VASL is a great tool for getting games in. If you need help setting it up, let me know. I have helped several players out in that regard. Also, if still looking for FtF, this link is to Nadir Elfarras very useful ASL Players Map. Check out Austrailia and hopefully, some of the several players on there will be near you. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1goYBML4s19fjE68-_VuxJ_2361U&hl=en_US&ll=-3.81666561775622e-14,-49.60127245000018&z=1