Cheap digital maps

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat Proctor said:
digital maps ARE NOT CHEAP
Have you checked SRTM data availability lately? DTED Level 1 is now available for most of the populated world. Notably Korea. I see they also have finished data for Iraq, Afghanistan, and Falklands. 45 bucks for a CD covering several countries.

Paper maps can still be a bitch to find, especially contemporaneous ones.

--- Kevin

Last edited:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kbluck said:
Have you checked SRTM data availability lately? DTED Level 1 is now available for most of the populated world. Notably Korea. I see they also have finished data for Iraq, Afghanistan, and Falklands. 45 bucks for a CD covering several countries.

Paper maps can still be a bitch to find, especially contemporaneous ones.

--- Kevin
I'm pretty sure Pat has accumulated DTED and paper maps in digits that cover the entire earth now. Where would you like your next war to occur?!:cheeky:

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CPangracs said:
I'm pretty sure Pat has accumulated DTED and paper maps in digits that cover the entire earth now. Where would you like your next war to occur?!:cheeky:
Parliament Hill.

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hub said:
Parliament Hill.
Good news! Not only is there SRTM data, but Canada has released their own NTDB and CDED databases as well, much the same as USGS. So you can get vector data as well.

http://maps.nrcan.gc.ca

Now, all you need is a good scenario. Maybe something about what might have happened if the Oka standoff had come to blows. Or you could find out what would happen if the "Blame Canada" fever in South Park really takes hold. Then again, if your database becomes sufficiently all-encompassing, maybe you could recreate Washington getting his ass kicked at Fort Necessity.

--- Kevin

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't decide whether to be pissed off by this, or overjoyed.

I have dropped ALOT of cash over the past four years buying 'rest of world' digital elevation data. It was doubly frustrating because I work will all of the data everyday at my 'day job', but Joint Ethics Rules prevented me from using it for games.

In the background, I can hear Alanis Morissette warming up...

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat Proctor said:
I can't decide whether to be pissed off by this, or overjoyed.

I have dropped ALOT of cash over the past four years buying 'rest of world' digital elevation data. It was doubly frustrating because I work will all of the data everyday at my 'day job', but Joint Ethics Rules prevented me from using it for games.

In the background, I can hear Alanis Morissette warming up...
Well, maybe you can get into the reselling business!!;)