Chatter font

rrossi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When trying to open the VASL online room I'm getting the following message, then nothing:

- Chatter font changed

- VASL version 6.4.3
- Unable to establish connection to server: Connection timed out: connect

This previously worked
RMR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The chat window font is set under preferences, chat window. If you have selected one that is not the default, it prints that message on startup. It doesn't seem likely that it is related to your problem. I am able to connect to the vasl server right now, and I see about ten people also on the server. My first guess would be that you truly can't connect to the vasl server. Are you using the pre-defined legacy server? Or another connection?

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I can't tell you much about the implementation of vassal connectivity. A quick test that might indicate that things are badly broken would be to connect your browser to http://www.vassalengine.org/util/getServerImpl (which is what I think the vassal legacy server connection connects to). That should return something like:

type = node
nodeHost = one.vassalengine.org
nodePort = 5050

If that works, you might try (in a command window) "tracert one.vassalengine.org" (replace tracert with traceroute if you are not using windows). That should produce something like:

traceroute one.vassalengine.org
traceroute to one.vassalengine.org (62.210.178.7), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1) 0.172 ms 0.159 ms 0.154 ms
2 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 1.500 ms 1.792 ms 1.790 ms
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 one.vassalengine.org (62.210.178.7) 149.756 ms !X 152.077 ms !X 154.856 ms !X

The values in the route will probably be different.

If that works you have a path to the server.

JR

rrossi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Followed the instructions above :

1. 3ms 2ms 2ms dslrouter.netgear.com [(I'm not typing the location ID here but it was here.)]
2. * * * request timed out
3-30 same.
So it would seem as thought I don't have a path to the server on my home router any longer?!?

Off to work now
Thanks

rrossi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still unable to 'establish connection to server' Definately has to do with my frontier server. Any suggestions?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You tried switching off and on the dsl router, I assume.

My first guess is that the DSL router is trying to send the vasl IP address to a "wrong" machine it can't really talk to, but is sending most of your internet traffic to the "right" machine at frontier. What model DSL router do you have? Does it have the admin user name and password on it, usually printed on the bottom? Perhaps you can log into it and see what the routing table looks like, and maybe even fix it, assuming that the problem is in the router.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
definitely
Another thought: establish a proxy you can reach. I am thinking that perhaps a virtual private network (vpn) might tunnel through your router and reach vasl through the vpn endpoint. I don't know if that would work. There might also be sites that would proxy your traffic without being a vpn per se. The risk here is that you have to trust the vpn and/or proxy. Setting one up would also require some work, mostly learning what you have to do.

JR

rrossi

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I managed to got on via my neighbors router/account so I think it is definitely my router that is partially fried. Time for a replacement!