Chat - Feel free to join in or just observe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah - come on in chaps! I'm there (when my Internet connection is stable) and I might decide to destroy everything if you don't turn up - so you'll be saving the World.

:D

Dr. S.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For everyone having trouble with certain things here's a quick guide:

When you join, type /nick name to pick your new name. If it doesn't change the name, that just means somebody else on the server is using it (there's 30,000+ people on there sometimes). Just try /nick with another name (add a number or two to the end of your name, or just change it somewhat). It'll work eventually.

If you're using the web site on the link above, you'll see a box that says Status that'll tell you what's going on (like if the name is still in use).

Also if you double click on a user name on the left in the main chat window, you can send a private message to them.

For the security conscious, if you type in either the status or the chat window "/mode username +x" (without the quotes, and username is whatever your username is) it'll hide your IP from people.

For little side stuff, if you see people say things that show up pink or purple and it says (For example) "*Overseer does a jig." You can do the same kind of thing by typing "/me does a jig." (as usual, no quotes). It'll replace /me with your username.

If this becomes a regularly used thing, I'll create a more detailed guide to somewhat more advanced things (and as I think of things, I'll add them on here).

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B5C said:
Where is everyone?
It's late, there were a number of people on earlier. Give it time, it'll grow. :D

However, I'm almost always there, and it seems Brian is usally there.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should be there a lot, its just I am doing some configuration with Linux so I am off and on...and then the occasional misconfiguration, in which case I am off for a while :D.

scuud

Reaction score
It wont let me connect, I get this:

Unable to connect : java.security.AccessControlException : access denied (java.net.SocketPermission irc.gamesurge.net resolve)

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
scuud said:
It wont let me connect, I get this:

Unable to connect : java.security.AccessControlException : access denied (java.net.SocketPermission irc.gamesurge.net resolve)
Sounds like your browser security settings are too high for it.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Methinks we should set up events to spark interest.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
The Doctor said:
It seems to ignore my nickname, no matter how I vary it.
it took me a while to figure out
just type /nick ........ (...... being your nickname)
it worked for me

MountainMan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When you folks rearranged the Forum, you probably would have been better off to dump the Jokes and leave in the Current Events. They're a lot more valuable and worthy than the jokes in the lifetime scheme of things.

The way you have it set up now, if someone discovers the secret of eternal life, it has to be posted under Politics. Not quite the thing, is it?

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, this chat is quite funny sometimes it works and sometimes not, at least for me... waht a pity

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm lonely on here. Although gobeavs comes into visit sometimes, and occasionally other random people stop in, but they never say anything so even if I'm around I don't know they come in. :(

/me pokes mods.

I think we should have some kind of hosted events on here...

Like... maybe interviews with game developers? That's actually rather common on IRC.

Eh? Eh? EH?