Chapter K

i2cope

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't know how to play ASL and I have RBvs1 and paratroopers. I bought the 2ed paratroopers from MMP so I didn't get chapter K. Will I be able to play with out K. Can I jump into ASL from ASLSK cause I bought it the other day.

Farley

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Chapter K is just one way to learn some of the basic rules in ASL, Farley, not essential. So you can jump into ASL with just the ASL Rule Book and Paratrooper. In fact, that's not a bad way to begin either. I think there are some great low-density scenarios in Paratrooper that don't require a knowledge of the guns / vehicles rules at this stage.

i2cope

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've sat and stared at the rule book and can't make any sence of it. I don't know how the dice rolls work?????????/ :confused:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Which rulebook are you talking about? The full ASL Rulebook? Or the rulebook for the ASL Starter Kit?

griffitz62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can certainly feel your pain. I started this game early this year in about the same way. I stared at the rulebook and couldn't make a lot of sense of it either. I tried the Chapter K thing, but if you have no idea how the game is played at all, it leaves a bit to be desired.
The next thing I tried was the 8-Step programmed instruction that Jim mentioed. I found this to be the thing that got me going in a big way. Yeah, it's a bit of reading, but nothing like the whole rulebook and you only read what you need to get going and then a little more, etc.
If you have the starter kit, I would take a look at that first. I got ASLSK after doing the 8-step program, but it really helped me get the basics of how a scenario is played and the sequence of events. I only played a couple of scenarios and then went back to the 8-step stuff again.
Of course, use this forum and try out VASL if you get a chance. I have found a great community of players here and no lack of help and support.
Drop me a line if you want to try a rookie VASL thing.

Ken

i2cope

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the advice I'll try looking at the 8 step thing. The RB is just alittle overwhelming. Hopefully I can get it figured out.

farley

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
One of the tricks is to digest it in small chunks, which is sort of what the Starter Kit is trying to do.

In simple terms, completely ignore Chapters C & D in the full rulebook for the time being. Only look at Chapter B as much as you need to for the terrain in a game you might be playing. And then in Chapter A, concentrate on moving and shooting, which is at least 90% of what you'll be doing in most scenarios

As you begin to feel confident with those things, delve into Close Combat, snipers, encirclement, etc... that you might have just read over quickly at first.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Some small advice

Make sure you pay particular attention to routing. That and movement goes hand in hand. On defense be sure you know where your rout paths are. On offense know where your leaders will be and how your brokies will get to them. Bad things happen. How we recover from them is what leads us to victory. That and rolling low. -- jim

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best way to learn is to read chapter A and B and then play an infantry game vs. an experienced player. It will all become clear(er). :confused: