Changing the Guard

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
After seven years of working on this scenario I feel that I've contributed about as much as I can to its development, and that with the arrival of TOAW III it is an appropriate time to hand over the reins. :cry:

I'm pleased to say that Veers (Wyatt) and Mantis (Shane), who have both been very supportive in the past, have agreed to take charge and continue working with it. I'll still be involved in this forum, but on the same basis as any other player. I've every confidence that the two of them will keep it running for another seven years, and look forward to seeing how the scenario moves forward.

I'd just like to thank everyone who's helped me in the past with ideas, suggestions, criticism and even complaints - too many names to mention individually, but you know who you are, and also to thank what's now Gamesquad for agreeing to host the scenario on this site. I know from experience that overseeing the development of a large and complicated scenario like EA can be pretty challenging, and I'm sure that any players interested in it will give their full support to Wyatt and Shane in the future.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm pleased as punch to be the first one with the opportunity to thank Mark for his years of dedication to Europe Aflame. This scenario is TOAW to me, and without it, I'd likely not be an active member here, more like the lurker I was before EA moved here.

No one has contributed more to the community than you have with your ceaseless work, your tireless patience, and your devotion to the scenario.

Three cheers for Mark!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Honor Guard, salute!!

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On a related note, Wyatt and I shall endeavor to follow in Mark's footsteps, and to continue on in the same tradition as he has lead us for these many years. We'll keep doing our very best to improve Europe Aflame, and to basically just be the 'button pushers' in what is truly one of the largest ever 'community developed and supported' scenarios I have yet to see.

We can never fill those shoes, gents, but I promise you all we'll do our very best!

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Well...damn, Mark. Now, I'm going to have to find somebody else to recognize as the "most dedicated and responsive scenario designer I know of"...:eek:

Best wishes and thanks for everything that you've done over the years.:toast:

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanks for all your hard work Mark, I just hope that Shane and Wyatt will still support the ACOW version of this great scenario.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'd really just like to echo the sentiments already shared by others: Thanks, Mark, for developing the best European Theatre World War II Scenario available for TOAW. I'm not really one for words, so just another thanks, and a seconded three cheers, Mark! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

On a related note, Wyatt and I shall endeavor to follow in Mark's footsteps, and to continue on in the same tradition as he has lead us for these many years. We'll keep doing our very best to improve Europe Aflame, and to basically just be the 'button pushers' in what is truly one of the largest ever 'community developed and supported' scenarios I have yet to see.
We can never fill those shoes, gents, but I promise you all we'll do our very best!
To start our long journey in attempting to fill Mark's shoes Shane and I have already begun on a major update for EA that will begin to make use of the many new features offered by T3.
Many of the things Mark had been working on, but had not yet had the time to complete, will be worked on and added to this latest version of EA.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for all your hard work Mark, I just hope that Shane and Wyatt will still support the ACOW version of this great scenario.
As Wyatt mentions above, that will depend on what it is you're looking for.

Mark had posted quite some time ago that the veriosn he was releasing (with said post) was to be the final version of Europe Aflame for CoW. (I know, I almost died when I heard the news... :cry: )

Just another good reason to upgrade to TOAW III!

Seriously, if Mark hadn't switched to T3 (for obvious reasons, of course - the scenario can go much farther under the new setup) I'd not be quite as eager to upgrade as I am!

Just think - more supply points, another 500 events, no more looking for entrained units... If I had a dollar for everytime I've sighed, opened up the OOB, and started going through each and every formation, one at a time, looking for the ol' 'embarked' status... :laugh:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If I had a dollar for everytime I've sighed, opened up the OOB, and started going through each and every formation, one at a time, looking for the ol' 'embarked' status...
So true...:laugh:

Bdr.Mallette

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank You Mark

I would like to say thank you for your dedication and work involved in the scenario. It is truly a great scenario and I doubt that it'll be topped.
7 Years is a long time to work on something and I think we all understand.
Awesome job! Mantis and Veers have large shoes to fill, but with 4 feet instead of 2, it may be possible... heheh.

Good Job Mate. Thanks once again.

Bdr.Mallette:toast: :broccoli: (why the Broccoli, Iunno..looks funny)

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Just to echo everyone elses thoughts. Thank you so much for your dedication to this scenario and to your legions of adoring fans over the years. EA was the scenario that got me started in the world of online wargaming, and without it I would probably have thrown TOAW out after a few months of play.

On a happy note though, I cant think of 2 better qualified and more highly respected people to take over from Mark. I promise to provide you the same support as I've given Mark over the years - ie occassional random and poorly thought out demands for changes to the scenarios, and periodic complaints that the scenarios isnt balanced because I forgot to garrision [insert capital city name here]

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Oh, and also thanks again for lunch and the beers, Mark. I'll have to figure out how to post the photo my wife took of us....

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just to echo everyone elses thoughts. Thank you so much for your dedication to this scenario and to your legions of adoring fans over the years. EA was the scenario that got me started in the world of online wargaming, and without it I would probably have thrown TOAW out after a few months of play.

On a happy note though, I cant think of 2 better qualified and more highly respected people to take over from Mark. I promise to provide you the same support as I've given Mark over the years - ie occassional random and poorly thought out demands for changes to the scenarios, and periodic complaints that the scenarios isnt balanced because I forgot to garrision [insert capital city name here]
:laugh: All suggestions welcome!! Complaints, well, it's a free country (or, at least, as free as the US [where this forum is] is.) :D).

Polynike

Reaction score
Country
llGibraltar
Be a shame to see you go Mark but many thanks for all your hard worh through the years mate

@Wyatt how is TGW going?

The Vince

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thx sir Mark

Just wanne say thank you for keeping this scenario alive.

Brought me much pleasure over the years.
And that means a lot.
I think you can be proud of what you did,
cause it takes a whole lot of time and dedication.

Thank you very much.

Greetings The Vince

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I concur with what's been expressed in previous posts. Thanks for all the hard work you've put into this for all these years.
All the best for Shane and Wyatt - now they'll get to see what user input means for the other side of the fence ;)

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The King is dead - long live the Kings!

Although i never played EA, thank you for all the work, dedication and passion and the entertaining AARs it produced. Seven years on a scenario.. :hail: :hail:

Wolf

Reaction score
Country
ll
What kind of support are you looking for Wolf?
If any serious bugs are found that haven't yet been discovered, will they be fixed? Nothing major on the development side, I just hope that ACOW won't be forgotten.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If any serious bugs are found that haven't yet been discovered, will they be fixed?
Absolutely. As long as we have the events left to do it with. Unless it doesn't involve events...:D

Nothing major on the development side, I just hope that ACOW won't be forgotten.
Yeah, there isn't much left to develop for CoW.
On a related matter, are you planning to upgrade to T3, Wolf?