Changes to GS Forum

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well all in all I like the changes, apart from the fact that whereas before we had the flags of our country ( apart from Scotland) I see that I am now without country ( cannot have Scotland, place of my birth as my country) I guess I will get the same reply as last time so this is just a kind of protest to the new format. After all most people that send me mail put Scotland as the country and mail from all over the world gets to me , even from America, it would appear that it is just VS forum that does not recognise it !

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Its revenge for what you said about the Americans! :)

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Check your profile settings, you can put whatever you like in the "Location" bit.
Veron when you choose Country it does not give Scotland as a country and cannot type it in either!

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Maybe a little bit too much WHITE in backgrounds...but it seems to load faster.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Olli, you did not vote for Scottish independence, so you haven't a leg (or your own state) to stand on :rofl:. There is also just Korea, no North or South.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Veron when you choose Country it does not give Scotland as a country and cannot type it in either!
Sorry I'm not sure what you are after, but if you just want to set what does it say below your avatar (currently "Harsewinkel" in your case), then you can just type whatever you want to show there in the "Location" text field.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Impressions that I can think of so far:

Negative:
Too much white giving me snow blindness.
Figuring where a post starts and ends can be painful. Mainly for reading posting times and finding things like the 'like' button.
The advanced editing from the previous version missing. I sometimes used superscript and subscript in posts.

Positive:
Received rep/like look back no longer limited to last 20 reps.
'Likes' can be given to the same person without having to wait until you have repped 20 other people.

The last item is, to my mind, the biggest so far. It will also require a change of approach when 'liking'. No longer will I have to hold off to see if a poster has something more rep-worthy to say in a later post, I can like the current one as well as a later post. IE no rep rationing or begging others for a cup of 'rep'.

While the current engine is definitely faster, that may or may not last. A freshly reloaded database will always be faster than one that has many 'random' insertions, modifications and deletions. My above list is short as I am still finding out the functionality, where the buttons are and "how to do". So I am holding off until I am more familiar with it.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
As Olli mentioned countries, there is no Serbia, but you can pick Yugoslavia! Serb nationalists will really love this. I counted 73 in the GS country dropdown, while there are 206 states, including disputed or partly recognised states, 190 undisputed. So 2/3 of the world's states have disappeared!

I assume that the dropdown title of "Country" was chosen to avoid confusing US residents by using "State".

Last edited:

samwat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The white is a bit strong, but I'm glad to see GSF back.

Is there still a place where we can see our own posts? And the likes we gave to others?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Olli, you did not vote for Scottish independence, so you haven't a leg (or your own state) to stand on :rofl:. There is also just Korea, no North or South.
Damned right I did not. But I still would like to have the preference to be able to pick the land of my birth. After all the last time I bitched about it u was told that it was not a country and it was made out to be more like an American State, therefore why the hell are all the European countries including Britain not under the EU flag after all we are all member states at the moment?

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I like the new forum.
Only I expected more flexibility to change colors and background in a modern environment like this.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Damned right I did not. But I still would like to have the preference to be able to pick the land of my birth. After all the last time I bitched about it u was told that it was not a country and it was made out to be more like an American State, therefore why the hell are all the European countries including Britain not under the EU flag after all we are all member states at the moment?
Britain should NEVER be under the EU flag.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I like the new forum.
Only I expected more flexibility to change colors and background in a modern environment like this.
Don wrote in another thread that he wants to introduce such features.
The present situation is the minimal form and additional options will progressively introduced.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Britain should NEVER be under the EU flag.
If the guy running this site reckons he cannot allow Scotland to be given a flag/mention in case the Americans want state flags- his words as he put it makes the 4 nations akin to American states ergo under his interpretation as we in Britain are part of the European Union then all member countries should get the euro flag, yes?? I do not want that either but that was his logic. I really do not take kindly when somebody tries to tell me about our own country, !

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
As a follow-on to Paul's "positives/negatives" comment above, I'd like to point out that the site's internal search system is, and I didn't think it was possible, considerably worse than the old system's internal search function. I've tried a few different searches, things that should yield dozens if not hundreds of hits, and gotten no more than 10 results or so -- and I've yet to see Search return a hit more recent than 2012 or so.

Never mind, you might say, we got around that on the old site by using a Google site search, which worked moderately well (barring Google's bizarre refusal to allow you to sort the search results by date, but that's hardly GS's fault). Unfortunately the Google site search doesn't seem to interact well with the new site either, again giving very limited results. Maybe that's something that will improve with time? Hard to say. At the moment, though, good luck in trying to dig information out of the site if you don't already know exactly where and when it was posted.

Something else I miss: the old site let you click on your profile name and you'd see all the recent posts from your "friends". (Now we don't have "friends", just people we "follow"? Whatever.) That functionality seems to have disappeared; the closest I've found is the "New Posts" link at the top of the page, which shows you all new posts from everyone, regardless of whether you "follow" them or not. It works OK, I guess, but you spend more time weeding out the stuff you don't care about.

Jeffhew

"Aut Vincere Aut Mori"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Bruce,
If you go up to the top of the page and hover over your name, you'll see an option on the right of the dropdown, "Your News Feed." Click on that and it brings up a page of the activities of just the people you follow. Hope that helps a little.

All the Best,
Jeff

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hello!

I am so glad the Forums are back. I can deal with the changes, nothing really that major, but yikes, the white is jarring and I find it harder to tell what is quoted and what is not.

<SHRUG> but I will deal with it. Nothing that major.

I also decided to become a member. For the amount I read and enjoy the Forums, I can throw in $20 a year.

Peace

Roger