CH4 Steutzpunkt Vierville

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Indeed. You can lively imagine the Americans attempting to wrap their tounge around that word...

Just for the record - it is supposed to be "Stützpunkt".

Now try this:
Aufmerksamkeitsdefizit-Hyperaktivitätsstörung ;)

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
"Steutzpunkt" ... Priceless :LOL:
A running gag over here in Germany.
For those of us not fortunate enough to live in Germany could you explain the gag? Or is it an example where the humour would be lost in translation?🤔🙄🤗

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
For those of us not fortunate enough to live in Germany could you explain the gag?
The fun is in the Americans obviously being fond of the - I am lost for the English term best describing it - 'harsh' sounding Germans words which they seem to be prone to put into war-movies, scenario titles etc. and then gacking it with the effect that their intention of sounding 'harsh', 'determined' or genuinely 'German' like the stereotype parade-ground officer is turned into something sounding instead quite hilarious to the German ear.

"Then the Sturmgeschuetzen turned the corner..."
"Fun with Panzerfäuste..."
"Achtung! Das kam von da oben!"
(Translating to "Watch out! That came from up there!" One of my favorites which was blended into a war movie in scenes where numerous Germans were hassling in the background. No matter, if the situation was an ambush, some generals were conferring at headquarters, or some traffic was moving along a crossroads.)

Just imagine Rambo or some other movie character supposed to be a serious bad-ass would suddenly without warning start talking English with a strong German accent talking nonsense in a 'no-fun-I'm-gonna-wipe-your-a**' scene.

In fact, my forum name was designed to cater to this very American liking many years ago for a tank rumble.

von Marwitz

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
For those of us not fortunate enough to live in Germany could you explain the gag? Or is it an example where the humour would be lost in translation?🤔🙄🤗
It´s simple. As vM pointed out it should be Stützpunkt. Since you guys over there have some problems with our beloved Umlaute ( i don´t write umlauts, because that would be the next running gag), the designer wanted to name the Scenario Stuetzpunkt Vierville. Using ue instead of ü is absolutely correct. So somehere those two letters where mixed up in the process, making it Steutzpunkt... An absolute senseless word in German, but a funny synonym Umlaute cause to English speaking people.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
The fun is in the Americans obviously being fond of the - I am lost for the English term best describing it - 'harsh' sounding Germans words which they seem to be prone to put into war-movies, scenario titles etc. and then gacking it with the effect that their intention of sounding 'harsh', 'determined' or genuinely 'German' like the stereotype parade-ground officer is turned into something sounding instead quite hilarious to the German ear.

"Then the Sturmgeschuetzen turned the corner..."
"Fun with Panzerfäuste..."
"Achtung! Das kam von da oben!"
(Translating to "Watch out! That came from up there!" One of my favorites which was blended into a war movie in scenes where numerous Germans were hassling in the background. No matter, if the situation was an ambush, some generals were conferring at headquarters, or some traffic was moving along a crossroads.)

Just imagine Rambo or some other movie character supposed to be a serious bad-ass would suddenly without warning start talking English with a strong German accent talking nonsense in a 'no-fun-I'm-gonna-wipe-your-a**' scene.

In fact, my forum name was designed to cater to this very American liking many years ago for a tank rumble.

von Marwitz
Lol oddly enough one of Actiondebbie's pet peeves are war movies where the Germans are speaking English, especially with a " German " accent! She would much rather that they spoke German and she has to deal with subtitles. Me too!

Took German class in High School and French in college but retained very little of either. Should have taken Spanish as it would have been much more useful on this side of the pond.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
It´s simple. As vM pointed out it should be Stützpunkt. Since you guys over there have some problems with our beloved Umlaute ( i don´t write umlauts, because that would be the next running gag), the designer wanted to name the Scenario Stuetzpunkt Vierville. Using ue instead of ü is absolutely correct. So somehere those two letters where mixed up in the process, making it Steutzpunkt... An absolute senseless word in German, but a funny synonym Umlaute cause to English speaking people.
Thanks! Most 'Mericans have problems with any foreign language. Lol I find it hilarious that when we are in a foreign country and can't speak the language we think we can make ourselves understood by speaking English louder!!🤣🤣

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Took German (2 years) during high school, retained a little bit of it. Looking for classical music CDs helps to broaden foreign language skills.
Movie quote: "Do you understand the words that's coming out of my mouth?"

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Lol oddly enough one of Actiondebbie's pet peeves are war movies where the Germans are speaking English, especially with a " German " accent! She would much rather that they spoke German and she has to deal with subtitles. Me too!

Took German class in High School and French in college but retained very little of either. Should have taken Spanish as it would have been much more useful on this side of the pond.
LMFAO! Actiondebbie was watching Patton today. I was talking to her and she mentioned that she was glad the Germans were speaking German! 🤣🤣

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I dont speak ftench, neither danish or german, just a bit of english, but I think this is funny:

Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel 2.9 (after a short speech in Danish; tr. J.M. Cohen):
'I believe that the Goths spoke like that,' said Eusthenes, 'and if God wished us to speak through our backsides we should speak like that too.'

Je croy (dist Eustenes) que les Gothz parloient ainsi. Et, si Dieu vouloit, ainsi parlerions nous du cul.

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Lol oddly enough one of Actiondebbie's pet peeves are war movies where the Germans are speaking English, especially with a " German " accent!
Tom Cruise in "Valkyrie" comes to mind...

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I dont speak ftench, neither danish or german, just a bit of english, but I think this is funny:

Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel 2.9 (after a short speech in Danish; tr. J.M. Cohen):
Well talking out one's backside is not uncommon. I've been known to accidentally or unwittingly engage in sphincter speak quite often. More likely just had my head up my a$$ and it was the echoes coming out.🙄