CH Stonne Map - Counters won't center

thively

Reaction score
I'm about to try the CG for Stonne, and as I started to put counters on the map, I noticed the counters would not center in the hexes. Some hexes were closer than others, but most had the counters snapping pretty far from center, up to and sometimes over the hexside. Depending on which side of the center dot I tried to place the counter, it would snap to one side of the hex or another. Not good.

The map is the second edition version, and looks great, but something went wrong when it was set up for vasl use.

I'm just about completely ignorant about how to do vasl mapmaking. I have "ye olde book" but the section I saw that dealt with the x,y coordinates didn't seem to go into very much detail on how to do it. I'm not even sure if this Stonne map can be modified.

So, my questions are: 1. Can a vasl map's hexgrid coordinating system be modified once the map has been made? 2. Is this something a novice should even think about trying to learn, or should I just forget it? 3. Is there a more detailed "step by step" set of instructions somewhere that would give me a better chance of figuring out how it is done?

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
where did you d/l the map from, so i can take a look at it?

what is it's filename? is it a bdXX.gif, or is it an extensionless bdXX file?

does the centering error get progressively worse as you get further away from the top-left corner?

1) VASL map hexgrids can be altered, for origin (x0 & y0) and for spacing (dX & dY)
2) it's not hard to do
3) ye olde book is your friend

thively

Reaction score
I must have had an older version of the second edition stonne map. I went to the download section of gamesquad to see if it was still there in order to let you know where I got the map. I downloaded it from gamesquad this morning, tried it, and found that the problems I had with the older map were corrected. Problem solved.

Thanks for your help.

thively

Reaction score
Enter Tuomoland in google, should be the first link displayed. Tom Repetti's site, the link to the VASL book of mapmaking is on that page, along with a lot of other interesting stuff.

sorry, should have posted the link: http://home.comcast.net/~tomrepetti/

Last edited: