(CH!) GTF7 Recapturing Ernage

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
GTF7 Recapturing Ernage
Here's my first FtF AAR :) And it's looooooooong

Raymond Woloszyn and I played GTF7 "Recapturing Ernage" from CH this weekend and I can tell you it was a *real* nailbitter. The last CC DR made the decission :)
GTF7 is set in May 1940 on boards 16, 33, and 4 (north to south) and the Germans defend with 2x 468, 4x 467, 9-1, 8-0, 7-0, 6x ? 1ea HMG, MMG, LMG, 7.5 leIG18, 2x PzIIA and a 8-1 ArmorLeader.
On Turn 1 the Germans receive 2x PzIIIF as reinforcements as well as one Stuka with bombs as per E7.2.
The French attack from the south in 3 groups:
Grp1: 2x 458, 2x 457, 8-1, LMG, ATR, 2x R35, R35(L) ->Turn 1
Grp2: 3x 458, 9-1, dm MMG, dm MTR(60), R35, R35(L) ->Turn 2
Grp3: 4x 457, 7-0, dm MMG, 2x R35, R35(L) ->Turn 3
Per SSR the Grain is in Season, and all French Leader have to pay a +1 DRM to all Rally attempts.
VC: The French must control buildings 16O3 and 16L6.
So you can see, the Germans don't have a lot to defend with and those R35's can be a *real* pain.
Well, since Raymond wanted me to do the preperations for a scenario, I selected the scenario, took the Germans ans set-up. That was the first time I realized how thinly I had to spread. On board 33 I only had a HS with the ATR (positioned for side/rear shots) and 4 Dummies in the forward Stone Building. Then I made my major mistake by setting up the 75INF in the woods right by the big grain field - stupid as you'll see.
The 8-0, 468, HMG went into the western wooden building right by the board seam/grain field. The 7-0, 467, LMG went into the woods on the eastern side and the 9-1, MMG, HS, 2x 467 went into O3. One 468 into L6, and the two PzIIA went on the East/West flank respectively.
I was quite satisfied with my setup thought I could handle the French easily.
Turn 1: Not much happening, the French come on right in the middle heading for the village. The most forward R35 engages my Dummies in the Stone Building with Area Fire at No Effect :)
The two German PzIIIF's come on through the O-road and one drives to O2 and the other one parks in the gap between the western woods right by the grain field.
Turn 2: The one R35 keeps firing at the Dummies and his infantry moves forward bypassing everything heading for the board 16/33 edge. The remaining 2 R35's platoon move straight to the Stone building, parking adjacent.
The PzIIA with the 8-1 on the eastern side fires off some rounds towards the French, which bounce off without result.
Turn 3: Raymond bring the 3rd R35 platoon on in the west and his center group keep engaging the dummies while one R35 strays off moving adjacent to the still concealed HS with the ATR :)
The Dummies sulk away from the tanks and the ATR fires at the adjacent R35, scoring a Shock :)
Turn 4: The Shock becomes a UK and the Infantry engage and eliminate the HS, while the remaining Infantry moves forward to the center buildings with the dummies.
Still no Stukas, and my PzIIA backs out. Two of the eastern R35's fire at it and one malf's its MA :) The PzIIA gets away.
Turn 5: The UK becomes a R35 wreck :) and the french pick up the German ATR. The center R35's move forward, freezing the Dummies in Bypass, but a PzIIIF creates a nice flaming wreck in bypass, while the other PzIIIF engages the western R35 at long range through the Orchards.
Still no Stukas, and Raymond repairs his MA :-(
His Infantry finally closes with the Dummies and the eastern R35 move adjacent to my (still concealed) 7-0, 467, LMG combo. A HS Double Times between the Grain and the center building and my 75INF finally fires and blast's him to Nirvana, keeps ROF and engages one of the eastern R35's and nails him :)
My PzIIIF's fire away but score nil, the 8-1 PzIIA moves behind the remaing eastern R35 and threatens him - thus relieving the 7-0 stack. And the other PzIIA moves through the grain north to engage Infantry and cut rout paths. My 7-0 combo doesn't pass the PAATC and looses concealment :-(
Turn 6: French Infantry pushes through the grain, the Dummies are finally eliminated (lasted quite long). One R35 remains behind the wall, engaging the 7-0 combo, while the other two move behind the orchards towards board 16. The R35 threatening the 7-0 combo spins the turret and eliminates my 8-1 PzIIA :-(
A HMG firelane stops the advance through the grain, but two 457's manage to get through and threaten the 75INF.
No Stuka :-( The remaining PzIIA moves north and positions itself west of the village and engages some Infantry with 4IFE and 5CMG, but ohhh, the 60MTR immobilizes the poor shmock :-( The Infantry in the Grain engage the PzIIIF with the captured ATR and kill it :-( and the R35 behind the wall breaks the Gun Crew :-( And, to make matters worse, the 7-0 combo goes down and is eliminated for failure to rout. The 8-0, HMG combo does a Assault Move out of the house into the woods and a 247 DF's - the second 1FP +1 attack breaks 'em :-(
The remaing PzIIIF pops its sD and moves behind the building. So all I have left now is a PzIIIF, a immobilized PzIIA, the 468 in L6, the broken crew, 9-1, MMG, 247, 467 in O4 and the broken stack (now less HMG) in the western building.
Raymond still has 5 R35's and most of his Infantry.
Turn 7: The tanks swarm the O3 building and park adjacent, the western Infantry close with the broken 8-0 stack and capture the abandonned HMG and the central Infantry cross the street into O3, where they are repelled by the MMG. But a Berserk HS manages to survive all DF and enter the hex :-( The 467 breaks and routs towards L6.
CC eliminates the Berserker and the 247.
Hey, the Stuka will come! Even I can roll less than 7 :-/
Prep Fire is pretty ineffective and my PzIIIF moves behind the wall surrounding L6 - being shot at from the captured ATR and HMG, but fortunately at no effect.
The PzIIA finally goes down to the MTR.
Turn 8: Realizing the timepressure Raymond pushes his Infantry to O3 and toward L6 - DF is pretty ineffective except for the Stuka Strafing Run which engages two R35 and two MMCs all lined up nice and neatly. No Effect on the tanks, but the MMC go down, taking some pressure off O4.
The 8-0 stack routs through the Grain towards the western woods. And the 467 reaches L6.
Turn 9: The 8-0 goes down to boxcar rally and the 468 meets its master due to the same fait - two boxcars in a row :-(
The 9-1, MMG, crew break to some PFPh shot and will be eliminated for failure to rout :-( Now Raymond can concentrate on the L6 building.
The R35's swarm my PzIIIF which immobilizes one. And his Infantry closes on L6, staying just outside the walls. BF breaks a R35 MA. The Stuka comes in for the second run (after which it will be recalled) and chooses another Strafing Run since Raymond again aligned 2 R35s and 2MMC in a nice row :) The two MMC go down and now Raymond is really under pressure.
My PF is pretty ineffective and he blasts away :-(
But Raymond's DF is also ineffective and he elects to IF four times(!) which breaks only one MA, but breaks the 467 and kills my last tank. Only a 468 left in L6 :-(
Last Turn: A R35 is Recalled. The French PFPh is ineffective (desp. Encirceling) and Raymond scrambles his last Infantry together (he has a hard time rallying due to the +1DRM) and (partially Double Timing) storms the building. My DF (8FP -1 and 4FP -2) breaks a 467 and a 237, but 2 467, 8-0 and 9-1(CX) are adjacent ready to advance into CC.
CCPh: Raymond attacks 2:1 and need 6 or less to win.
Final DR: 6,3 = German Victory!
I can tell ya! This was really close. I never thought I'd last that long. After I lost all my tanks and the 75 while he still had 5 tanks I thought it was over.
Highlights:

- The German ATR shocking the R35 which is later a elimination
- The French Sniper striking my Sniper, bringing the SAN to 2
- The German Sniper striking the French, bringing his SAN to 0 :)
- The captured German ATR killing the PzIIIF
- and, of course, the last 468 fending off that 2:1 CC attack.

Well, we played this 10 Turn scenario in about 5 hours and had a
blast! It starts slow, but baby, once its going.....:)
Give it a try

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've wanted to play some GTF scenarios, but I seem to recall that EVERY scenario has air support (which I don't care for)....

g_young

Reaction score
Holy cow Klaus, thats some game you had there! Even just reading the AAR made me reach for the heart pills :)

Cheers
Gary

da priest

Reaction score
pitman said:
I've wanted to play some GTF scenarios, but I seem to recall that EVERY scenario has air support (which I don't care for)....
Maybe that guy over on the "Desperation Morale" site can do a flow chart on air Power to help you out? :mrgreen: