AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The marketing by that company is a study in marketing tactics fit for any business school. By publishing large sized add ons to ASL, they are able to make statements like this:

Critical Hit, Inc. is the publisher of the largest tactical-level/squad level simulations in wargame history with its BERLIN and OMAHA product offerings.

They could not say this if somebody published a larger map.

Genuis.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
And thus the challenge is born...MMP now has to make a map of the Brickworks north of the Barrikady factory in Stalingrad, and therefore have 3 maps of Stalingrad linked together

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What are needed are direct competitors to the CH! modules. For Omaha, come out with "Overlord: Normandy to the Elbe" and a map representing western Europe. For Berlin, come out with "Barbarossa" and a map representing Stalingrad/Moscow to Berlin. All at standard ASL scale. Imagine the gaming table needed for those!

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
And thus the challenge is born...MMP now has to make a map of the Brickworks north of the Barrikady factory in Stalingrad, and therefore have 3 maps of Stalingrad linked together
Manila baby, Manila!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The marketing by that company is a study in marketing tactics fit for any business school. By publishing large sized add ons to ASL, they are able to make statements like this:

Critical Hit, Inc. is the publisher of the largest tactical-level/squad level simulations in wargame history with its BERLIN and OMAHA product offerings.

They could not say this if somebody published a larger map.

Genuis.
True genuis. Because it doesn't say best and playtested in the advertisement just largest, or what version each of them currently is at.

The above is a poke for Scott, so he'll start another Mr. MMP Playtester thread.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
True genuis. Because it doesn't say best and playtested in the advertisement just largest, or what version each of them currently is at.

The above is a poke for Scott, so he'll start another Mr. MMP Playtester thread.
I totally agree that CH! has some serious playtesting issues and that's why I stepped in to help, the AK packs, even though there were some good scenarios with in, there were also alot of unplaytested crap included too. Ray wants to make a fast buck, so he cranks out some unplaytested crap and we buy it.

As for poking fun at the MMP people, that in itself is always good times, they take them selves way too seriously lol.

Scott

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Not only that, it can easily be misread to say "largest producer of tactical wargames."

Genuis.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, are teh Berlin and Omaha products worth the investment?

I'm thinking the AK packs for my next CH purchase, but if something looks better I might get that instead.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Be careful with the SK stuff. I have played 5 scenarios so far. One great two alright one pointless and one complete dog. Although the pointless one (Jabo) was fun when drunk and making aeroplane noises.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, are teh Berlin and Omaha products worth the investment?

I'm thinking the AK packs for my next CH purchase, but if something looks better I might get that instead.
They all "look" good, that's the whole marketing tactic.

I bought the first AK pack. My first CH product in quite a while. I was dissappointed. The overlays don't fit map, and the scenarios are lame. One side with only aircraft, really? I wonder if they are warmed over Tobruk scenarios slapped together to make an ASL buck? With a map and pretty counters, of course.

I'm surprised their motto isn't "what do I have to do to get you into this module today?"
Everytime I buy a CH product, I feel like a I have battered wife syndrome. I think thre's been change, but I get beat up again. I'm done with them.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
deleted stupid comment.

Scott

They all "look" good, that's the whole marketing tactic.

I bought the first AK pack. My first CH product in quite a while. I was dissappointed. The overlays don't fit map, and the scenarios are lame. One side with only aircraft, really? I wonder if they are warmed over Tobruk scenarios slapped together to make an ASL buck? With a map and pretty counters, of course.

I'm surprised their motto isn't "what do I have to do to get you into this module today?"
Everytime I buy a CH product, I feel like a I have battered wife syndrome. I think thre's been change, but I get beat up again. I'm done with them.

Last edited:

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I have the two Berlin modules and the maps are excellent. I hear that the overall standard of the Berlin modules are high, and I have no reason to think otherwise.

I've just begun to play one of the Berlin scenarios (BTL 13 Turk's Tigers) by PBEM, and although the VCs are somewhat confused, I expect a good game. Especially as I was in Potsdamer Platz, the scenario location, just a few weeks ago :)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Ya that one does look kool, but I dont think the VC is all that confusing, kill the tiger and take a few U/ S bahn locations aint too tough. Anyway, would love to play Breaking Berlin, that one looks really gnarly.

Scott

I have the two Berlin modules and the maps are excellent. I hear that the overall standard of the Berlin modules are high, and I have no reason to think otherwise.

I've just begun to play one of the Berlin scenarios (BTL 13 Turk's Tigers) by PBEM, and although the VCs are somewhat confused, I expect a good game. Especially as I was in Potsdamer Platz, the scenario location, just a few weeks ago :)

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Damn, someone is seriously trying to lick yauses butt here.

Scott
What does this have to do with Yause?

You yourself say CH playtesting sucks, AND that Ray wants to make a quick buck.

That's all Slim is saying--- except that he's saying Ray does a great job of markerting... and that he's done falling for it.

The real question is "If" or "When" we will hear him say it again? :clown:

JT

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So when are we going to do that AK scenario JT? Or are you ignoring me like slim?

Scott
What does this have to do with Yause?

You yourself say CH playtesting sucks, AND that Ray wants to make a quick buck.

That's all Slim is saying--- except that he's saying Ray does a great job of markerting... and that he's done falling for it.

The real question is "If" or "When" we will hear him say it again? :clown:

JT

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Hi-

Ya that one does look kool, but I dont think the VC is all that confusing, kill the tiger and take a few U/ S bahn locations aint too tough. Anyway, would love to play Breaking Berlin, that one looks really gnarly.

Scott
Hi Scott,

My slight confusion arises because the VCs refer to more than 4 S-Bahn and U-bahn locations, but (i) there don't appear to be any S-bahn locations in that area of the map, and (ii) I'm unsure, and am consulting with my opponent, as to whether a U-bahn location means just a U-bahn station or entrance, or also encompasses a U-bahn tunnel - I don't think the Berlin rules give a definitive definition.

Note that these certainly aren't dealbreakers, but I think it's fair to say that there's a degree of confusion.

Regardless, I agree, a lot of the Berlin scenarios look great and there's a very distinct feel to the module. I'm looking forward to playing this scenario and seeing how it plays out.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The U-bahn locations are not just the station but the locations between stations too. I do agree that this part of the game just sucks to grok, and Ray could have been better served by leaving out the u bahn stuff, it can get a little confusing no doubt about that.

Scott

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Scott,

I agree with your interpretation as it makes the work of my attacking Soviets a little easier :)