James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So when are we going to do that AK scenario JT? Or are you ignoring me like slim?

Scott
I'm not ignoring you... but between spring break, travelling for work for the last 2 weeks, spring soccer starting, including being in Indy for a soccer tournament this past weekend, I'm not playing much VASL. (I did get to have a great FtF experience playing Jerry Simmons in Dallas last week in Ragnarok which he won as the Russians. Great host, great game!)

In fact I can't even remember the last time I rolled the dicebot dice in anger on VASL.

You, along with about 5 other guys, are on my playlist.

Don't forget I have 2 other kids besides you. :D

JT

Jerry Simmons

ntasl.com
Reaction score
I did get to have a great FtF experience playing Jerry Simmons in Dallas last week in Ragnarok which he won as the Russians. Great host, great game!

JT
The pleasure was all mine. Hope we can do it again.

And for the topic, regardless of how much I agree with the thread, it doesn't do anybody any good to lower ourselves to the levels of other, hysterical forumites.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The pleasure was all mine. Hope we can do it again.

And for the topic, regardless of how much I agree with the thread, it doesn't do anybody any good to lower ourselves to the levels of other, hysterical forumites.
Why do you hate America, dumbass? :angry: :flag: :coolban:

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought the first AK pack. My first CH product in quite a while. I was dissappointed. The overlays don't fit map, and the scenarios are lame. One side with only aircraft, really? I wonder if they are warmed over Tobruk scenarios slapped together to make an ASL buck? With a map and pretty counters, of course.
I bought all the AK stuff. MMP has completely and utterly abandoned the DTO, starting with their transformation of the British OOB in West Of Alamein into just another ETO module with For King And Country. So I was very happy to see that SOMEBODY is making something for the North Africa theater.

The maps are great and the overlays fit fine, about as well as the old AH and MMP overlays. And, considering that there are 100 scenarios, it's perfectly fine to have one where one side has only aircraft, so that's a silly criticism.

Of course the ASLComp AK stuff is ported over from Tobruk. Why not? All of the CH products are sold in versions for both systems. Are they well playtested across the board? No, probably not. Are they well balanced for tournament play? No, they are not. Are they fun to play with tons of historical flavor? Yes, definitely. And, if you love the DTO, you are not likely to get any new product from MMP until probably about 2016 or so when they reprint Hollow Legions.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought all the AK stuff. MMP has completely and utterly abandoned the DTO, starting with their transformation of the British OOB in West Of Alamein into just another ETO module with For King And Country. So I was very happy to see that SOMEBODY is making something for the North Africa theater.
This is why I purschased my first ever CH product.

Of course the ASLComp AK stuff is ported over from Tobruk. Why not? All of the CH products are sold in versions for both systems. Are they well playtested across the board? No, probably not. Are they well balanced for tournament play? No, they are not. Are they fun to play with tons of historical flavor? Yes, definitely. And, if you love the DTO, you are not likely to get any new product from MMP until probably about 2016 or so when they reprint Hollow Legions.
This is where we differ. I would rather suffer and do without than 'settle' for unplaytested crap. It's obvious that these were created for ATS then ported over with a best guess of what would work well for ASL. If I'm going to spend my money I want the scenarios playtested for ASL. A single playtest would have caught many of the errors. I learned my lesson and will vote with my dollars to support TPPs that care about what they are putting out to the public.

Attitudes like yours keep CH from listening to the players and putting out better tested product. They can keep publishing crap and eventually get it right with version 3.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The maps are great and the overlays fit fine, about as well as the old AH and MMP overlays. And, considering that there are 100 scenarios, it's perfectly fine to have one where one side has only aircraft, so that's a silly criticism.

I didn't buy all gazillion AK packs there are, I bought just one. I'm not a fan of either or both sides having nothing but armor in a scenario, either. Those make up a large percentage of the first pack along with that stupid plane scenario.

Just because MMP hasn't made a module for a particular theater of operations is no excuse for accepting poorly play tested, unbalanced scenarios, warmed over from another game. Again the battered wife syndrome. "Oh well. I know he beats me, but at at least I have a man, sigh."

NO! We should demand quality and quit buying stuff because it looks cool, but otherwise as flawed as they can be, according to most ASLers. Unbalanced and poorly play tested.

In CH's defense, why the hell should they spend time and money on play testing and finding balance in the scenarios when they can sell to people anyway?

The fact you have fun playing a poorly play tested unbalanced scenario puts you in a very small minority of ASL players. Most (with a very few exceptions) unbalanced scenarios are shunned by most players.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Wasn't Jabo an official AH scenario? In the General maybe? I know I have an old scenario with just planes on one side called Jabo.

Or maybe it was Rout Report or something else.

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wasn't Jabo an official AH scenario? In the General maybe? I know I have an old scenario with just planes on one side called Jabo.

Or maybe it was Rout Report or something else.
You are right it is official and crap. Everybody I know says they don't want another.

Binko

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of the posters here just seem to be stomping their feet and shouting anti-CH tirades by rote. Sorting ROAR results by publication and scanning through them shows that CH scenarios, on the whole, are just as well balanced as MMP scenarios.

In fact, some recent MMP products, like Action Pack 7, look to have major balance issues. The only recent MMP publications to be fairly well-balanced across the board are the Out Of The Attic and Out Of The Bunker type prodects where they cherry pick the best scenarios that were originally published by others.

As far as the AK scenarios go, nobody knows how well-balanced they are because not enough plays have been reported. My experience with the AK scenarios are that they play well, are enjoyable and have no more errors or balance issues than other recent official products I've purchased. My only beef with CH is that it is a real crap shoot dealing with their shipping and customer service - sometimes it's wonderful and other times it's a nightmare.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The fact you have fun playing a poorly play tested unbalanced scenario puts you in a very small minority of ASL players. Most (with a very few exceptions) unbalanced scenarios are shunned by most players.
Ya, that Journal 9 and AP 6 and 7 are a problem play balance wise, but hey, its ASL, so we buy them to support MMP.

Scott

AZslim

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya, that Journal 9 and AP 6 and 7 are a problem play balance wise, but hey, its ASL, so we buy them to support MMP.

Scott
We are going to test one scenario Saturday. Buying known crap from MMP just t support them is just as lame as buying know crap from CH.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
They all "look" good, that's the whole marketing tactic.

I bought the first AK pack. My first CH product in quite a while. I was disappointed. The overlays don't fit map, and the scenarios are lame. One side with only aircraft, really? I wonder if they are warmed over Tobruk scenarios slapped together to make an ASL buck? With a map and pretty counters, of course.

I'm surprised their motto isn't "what do I have to do to get you into this module today?"
Everytime I buy a CH product, I feel like a I have battered wife syndrome. I think thre's been change, but I get beat up again. I'm done with them.
Hello!

dude lighten up and just do not buy CH products any more, this is not rocket science:nuts::clown::laugh:

I just cannot understand why CH haters buy their stuff and then dislike it, knowing they would in the first place and come here and rag on CH.:smoke:

While I do not buy a ton of CH, I do buy the occasional product, such as the Berlin stuff (I am a CG slut) and the Omaha pack (I could not pass up that huge scenario on a great looking map).

Will the Berlin CGs be 100% playtest and balanced, I seriously doubt it, but, take a look at some of the official CG products (hello ABTF) are not that balanced......

Its not that I do not get your point, I do. But frankly, I find at least a couple of scenarios in each product I buy which I consider unwinnable but one of the sides.......

Next time you think about buying a CH product don't........

head on over and buy a new high-tat instead:D

Peace

Roger

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
dude lighten up and just do not buy CH products any more, this is not rocket science
He is expressing an opinion about a product he bought...why do you have such a problem with that?

I just cannot understand why CH haters buy their stuff and then dislike it, knowing they would in the first place and come here and rag on CH.:smoke:
Seriously, are you calling AZslim a "hater"? You got to be freaking kidding...that is just stupid! There isn't anyone on this forum that is less of a "hater" (of any type) than AZslim.

Will the Berlin CGs be 100% playtest and balanced, I seriously doubt it, but, take a look at some of the official CG products (hello ABTF) are not that balanced......
There is a difference between unbalanced vs feeling like they haven't even been playtested once.

Its not that I do not get your point, I do. But frankly, I find at least a couple of scenarios in each product I buy which I consider unwinnable but one of the sides.......
Not what he is talking about.

Next time you think about buying a CH product don't........
I think that is what he said he was going to do.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

At least I am willing to try MMP scenarios and give them the benifit of the doubt.

Scott