Ch G

Which of these rules sections have you played with?

• panji's

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • rice paddies

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • animal pack

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • caves

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • cave complexes

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • landing craft

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • seaborne assault

Votes: 32 60.4%

• Total voters

PZchala

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which of these rules sections have you played with? Ch G, seems to be the "frontier" of the ASLRB. Some have ventured al the way to "seaborne assaults", while others stopped before "caves" or even "panji's".

I have played with caves once, and that wasn't even PTO. (SoN)
Rice Paddies, once. Not at all with the others.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PZchala said:
Which of these rules sections have you played with?
Everything except panjis and Animal Pack. :smoke:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The first three...
Caves and seaborne asslt rules seem very "heavy" to me...

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've played with all except Animal Pack.

Tha Landing Craft and Seaborne Assault sections may seem daunting, but they are mostly "what if's"...sure, you need to read them, but most don't come into play.

Of course, it could just be the Marine in me that thinks amphibious landings are easy. :)

Semper Fi!
Scott

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
You should have had one more choice "None of the above" :D

While I have played PTO, I have not ventured into the "harder" sections such as those listed.

Peace

Roger

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately, the most difficult aspect of testing the waters of Chpater G is finding someone else willing to wade on in with you. Alot of the ChG stuff doesn't lend itself to solitaire though LC/ beach assault likely could. In that, it's a shame, really as much of this chapter helps show the breadth of the ASL experience.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
PZchala said:
Which of these rules sections have you played with? Ch G, seems to be the "frontier" of the ASLRB. Some have ventured al the way to "seaborne assaults", while others stopped before "caves" or even "panji's".

I have played with caves once, and that wasn't even PTO. (SoN)
Rice Paddies, once. Not at all with the others.
I played:

Mike Red for the LC and seaborne assault rules

BR:T for seaborne assault

The Eastern Gate for animal pack rules (although I never unloaded the packed guns)

On the Hoss Side from Kakuzu Ridge for caves and cave complexes

I forget the scenario that used Rice paddies but it was the one with a Japanese 10-2 leader on a horse.

I haven't given these rules much of a workout over the years.

Adrian

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Sorry, but i think Chapter G is a pretty toothless tiger - not to disparage the rules or make myself sound like a master when i am not... but there is nothing in them that is not easy enough to understand should you have a quiet afternoon and pen & paper.

Personally i think the hardest part of Chapter G is the Japanese, especially if you are playing against them - there is something scary about breaking a unit who just keeps coming! And there is no doubt that your first fight against them (and seeing all your previous ideas about tactics vs breakable units not work) will be a memorable experience. :surprise:

paulkenny

Reaction score
I find many of hte Ch G rules too "wordy" and confusing. Things like Panjis it seems to me could either have been written in a more simple form or redone, they are comparable to Wire as a rule but take alot more effort to understand

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is no doubt that Panjis are more trouble than they are worth. Rice paddies are too complicated, too, but luckily you don't need to know all the paddy rules, just the ones for the conditions you have. Caves aren't too bad. Haven't done an amphib, so I can't comment there, but I sense they are too complicated, too--just look at how involved *beaches* are, to mention nothing else.

By the way, I have a great Rice Paddy cheat sheat on my website, which can be really really helpful in making paddies easier. I also have a beach terrain cheat sheat which can be really helpful.

paulkenny

Reaction score
Actually Amphib assault isnt TOO Bad, like loading and unloading a vehicle IIRC. Most of the verbage is to cover special cases.

paulkenny

Reaction score
BTW I believe CH G was written by someone different than Ch's A through E

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Evening Gents

Of course I have played with all the rules mentioned at some point, do not mean I like them all.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Priest said:
None of the above, I haven't ventured into the PTO yet.
A shame....it is a different game with the Japanese unique characteristics adding some much needed variety to the game.

Don't let all this talk about beach landings, caves, panjis, animal pack, etc...scare you off. Most of the PTO scenarios out there only have PTO Terrain and the Japanese as "new" rules sections needed....and that isn't really that big of a step.

I've played a lot of PTO. I've never played a beach landing (although I've considered it and read the rules...not *that* bad...), or caves (read the rules and just haven't felt the fire in the belly to play them). Panjis are much less of a change than the verbage in the rules seem to indicate. Just what scenarios have animal pack involved?

Hell, there are even a few scenarios with the Japanese that are not PTO terain.