CH counters help

StevenMiller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I recently acquired CH's Parker's Crossroads. However, it has counters that do not have any explanation in the special rules for the pack or in MMP's rules. I do not want to buy any more pack(s) just to get the rules for these counters. I can pretty much figure out how they work based on what is printed on the counter but I would like help from anyone familiar with these Critical Hit counters as to any unique rules regarding their use that is not alluded to on the actual counter. The counters are; the USA M5A1 trailer, the USA gammon bomb, the German Abwflamm, and bicycles. I assume bicycles work similar to motorcycles.

StevenMiller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was aware of the MMP rules for bicycles. My questions are whether Critical Hit has any special rules of their design for these counters.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I was aware of the MMP rules for bicycles. My questions are whether Critical Hit has any special rules of their design for these counters.
Ah.

Is there any info on the CH Bicycle counters that isn't covered by D15.8?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given the CH versions a reprint of an earlier one, I doubt if their M/Cs will be any different.

StevenMiller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone have the rules from Critical Hit that covers the counters I've listed? I realize copying them for me probably violates copyright, but you could possibly answer some questions I have about them.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I take it the counters were in that release Steven as well as in the scenario's in the pack. Note the original CH release of this did not have any of those but the Fahrad's which the scenario card states D15.8 applies to them. They are just normal bicycles. CH seems to have developed a fetish for nationality based motorbikes and motorcycles. Cool I suppose if you are interested in them but in most cases and definitely in this one they are just normal bikes.

The other 3 items are things CH has introduced into later games and was not in their original offering of Parker's Crossroad. Baraque de Faiture.

As it were. I'd ignore them. Suppose they were just tossed off into any scenarios they appeared in in this version you appear to have.

I can post the rules for them but that would take some time but will if you are truly interested.

StevenMiller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sparky, thanks for replying. I do not expect or want you to post the rules for the counters in question. I have only a few questions about the gammon bomb usage. The other counters I can figure out, or as you suggest, omit them. As for the gammon bombs; do the MMP rules for DC's apply, are they random like PF's in how a unit gets one, can the unit using one someway avoid the 1FP attack on themselves, and lastly are the MMP rules used for a breach result on roadblock, fortified bldg, wire, etc.?

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sparky, thanks for replying. I do not expect or want you to post the rules for the counters in question. I have only a few questions about the gammon bomb usage. The other counters I can figure out, or as you suggest, omit them. As for the gammon bombs; do the MMP rules for DC's apply, are they random like PF's in how a unit gets one, can the unit using one someway avoid the 1FP attack on themselves, and lastly are the MMP rules used for a breach result on roadblock, fortified bldg, wire, etc.?
I see Top got ya there.

The other two things could easliy be deleted.

The M5A1 is merely a cargo trailer. Carries =< 6 PP or =< 2 SMC and uses C10.4 rules. Nice chrome but never used them myself.

The Abwflamm is a different matter. Really cool stuff that is a part of several CH HASL actions. However they are generally used in defense of forified positions. Not semi mobile actions like you have here in Parker's Crossroads. Again, really neat stuff, well done in a rules sense by CH but not really applicable to this product. Why were they included?

Two words.. Critical.. Hit

haha

StevenMiller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to you two for helping me out on this. I also wonder why in Parker's Crossroad, a US/German battle, I have scenarios with units entering with British gammon bombs?! I can see the value of the trailers for units entering with lots of SW but I doubt they would be used when units are entering an area where a battle is already occurring.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
funny Steven. I made the point the other day that CH is like a box of chocolates.. yet really the more accurate assessement is CH is like a tab of acid man. You just never know.... sometimes you get brilliance and creativy... then there are the times you get shit coming out of the walls for you and nightmares into the warped mind of the evil Tapio haha.

My advice with CH is and always has been. Ask around before you buy. In a general sense the earlier are the best when it comes to reissues except for the actual components like maps and counters which are vastly superior to what they did early on. Much like with what you have, it is still playable, but not without some effort as you are having to make.

Whiskers1123

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
99% of the people on this forum are CH haters so don't bother asking here if you get my drift. I'm sure a lot of people here buy CH stuff but would never admit it. That would be politically incorrect here. They would be shunned. :D

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll admit, CH has nice maps, but poorly edited material, non existent playtesting and over priced products are a non starter for most us. Heck, for $45 bucks pre order for hatten you get a box, counters and map and scenarios/ cg's all playtested and not at rip off prices.

99% of the people on this forum are CH haters so don't bother asking here if you get my drift. I'm sure a lot of people here buy CH stuff but would never admit it. That would be politically incorrect here. They would be shunned. :D

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can ask the questions, just be prepared to wade through the chaff :). You can pretty much get any answer(s) you need.

I have quite a bit of CH products. Their older stuff was of better quality play test wise but their newer stuff have better components.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
The M5A1's are included but hardly ever used because ASL does not portray light mortars as a crew served weapon. A mortar crew would consist of 3 or 4 men and would be a separate fireteam from a rifle squad. The cart's primary purpose is to keep the bomb supply moving up to the mortar.
They doubled as field ambulances....see John Wayne with his broken ankle being hauled around on the longest day.
A bar slipped perpendicularly through the handle to allow 2 men to act as horses, dragging the tiny wagon through sand, woods, and deep snow.
In a typical ASL scenario at least one side's mortar is already emplaced and the bomb boxes unloaded beside the mortar, so you rarely have an opportunity to see this unarmored vehicle in action.
Think of these as portable ammo dumps. You don't want to be in the same hex if they are hit by enemy HE.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL in general might not have the M2 Lt Mortar as crew served weapons Larry, but CH has in many instances. Especially in PTO/Marine actions.

Time to brush up on the M5A1's I supppose. I remember them as being optional eye candy in past products. Hill 609 (my god that map is stunning btw) has them and includes them in the scenarios. Curious to see how they play and if they have any practical usage.

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll admit, CH has nice maps, but poorly edited material, non existent playtesting and over priced products are a non starter for most us. Heck, for $45 bucks pre order for hatten you get a box, counters and map and scenarios/ cg's all playtested and not at rip off prices.
I admit it, I have bought CH before and will most likely again, if something catches my eye. They are just on product overload right now and impassible for anyone to keep up with.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Indeed, their current design team is very busy. I have no idea how you can simultaneously monitor production of products for WW2, the 73 Lebanon Incursion, the Isonzo front in WW1, and generic modeling of a variety of American Civil War battles.