CH Battle at Best

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this item worth purchasing?

Does it fit into the Operation Market Garden campaign well?

Asking because I've got a bunch of X-mas credit to use before the 24th.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Kevin, sorry for late reply as am just seeing this.
It is a pretty good module as far as US paras vs Germans, is a tough infantry fight for both sides, and German flak is deadly.
Two scenarios I played solo were Flak Landsers, which is tough on US as Germans have a bunch of 88+20 flak guns, and Incident At The Crossroads, which sees German column heading down the road get ambushed, it is wild affair.
There is no CG in it but one large 38 turn scenario, with US having @43.5 SE's and 7 British tanks vs a lotta Germans---69.5 SE's with 4 88's , 2 20mm Flakvierlings, and 1 20mm single barrel flak, couple flak HT, small HT and armed jeep, and 2 80+OBA. US do get some air support but no OBA of their own. And this scenario has multiple VC.
You will need the 8 4-4-7 SS squad counters to play this, and told Ray that these should have been included with the enclosed counters, especially as they have the replacement rules in the module rules pages.
Scenarios range from medium to large, with only one small one (<8 squads per side.) Beefy is how I would describe the OB's in most of the scenarios.
As far as MG campaign, this module is good as far as detailing the fight for Best and I think the multiple VC is how the large scenario makes Best fit into the MG campaign overall, as most of the VC have to do with controlling bridges, or certain areas of the map, which IMHO represents the Allies "corridor" , if that makes sense.
Overall I would recommend it, but find the larger scenario may be tough on US due to large numbers of Germans , and they are defending.
See pics I took of scenario for Flak Landsers, one of the scenarios I played in Sept. as part of my annual solo MG bash. German 88's were crushing in this one.

Component pics I took for Mark Pitcavage, have more if curious. The map is pretty big.
20055 200562005720058

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lemme know how many sheets came with yours and can compare against my copy.