CG Recon -- Is it worth it?

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What's your best -- or worst -- Recon story?

You know, Recon, that goofy CPP expenditure somewhere at the bottom of the RG charts in most campaign games.

How appropriate, as in purchase priority, Recon always seems to rank somewhere down below Sniper upgrades and Offboard Observers, and usually costs about the same. In some campaigns, Recon can cost as much as Air Support.

But maybe you see things differently and I'm not getting It.

Do tell.

TankDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow. Totally disagree with Paul, sorry. :p

I think recon is a great buy in any CG that offers it.

Now, understand that my being a Scout in the Army definately gives me a bias. :D

But if you are on the attack, recon and save you lots of casulties and confirm or deny an attack route you may or may not have wanted to take.

For the cost, very few purchases will give you as strong a bang for the buck.

Matt Shostak

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think Recon in RB is probably the worst buy that there is. For the Germans, maybe the PSWs are a worse buy, I'm not sure. I'm not saying Recon is worthless, but that it costs way too much for what it provides. I don't know about any other campaigns, but I just can't see the value in it for RB.

Oliver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
so much for that

Thanks Matt for chiming in.

Sigh. I was looking for Recon examples -- of which, I take it from the lack of responses, there must not be any.

Time to close this soon...

Oliver

Keith

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would also have to say that I feel the Recon CPP could be better used on almost anything else. The Campaign Games I have played where my opponent has purchased Recon has not really shown him very much. When you are on a large CG map with dozens of hexes (this is especially true in RB) I don't hink it works very well. It is almost cheaper to run a half squad up to the hex you wanted to recon and see if he gets toasted. If the hex you want to Recon is a very important hex or has a commanding position I also figure there is no need to Recon it as you know there is something there. Just one gamers humble opinion.