CG III Red Barricades

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,
The Roadblock in the Gully placement is a rule from ch O that allows it (i.e., no house rule).

The Roadblocks have the benefit of being HIP at start and Only provade the German infantry with a +1 TEM instead a +4 TEM vs Russian OBA, units may also rout behind the routblocks. The A-T Ditch have its benefits too but since the German will sooner or later take control of the area I prefer to lose control of the Roadblocks instead.

Yes counter improvements is great during play and hands-on for increased speed of play.
Here is the link to the ASL Counter Improvements
http://forum.aslsweden.com//index.php?showtopic=3215
Well, got me re-reading the CH O rules at least (now if I can talk one of my buddies into having another go at RB)!:thumbsup: Had to do a double think on the HIP for Roadblocks as the RB SSR says "../entrenchments.." which are Fortifications same as Roadblocks, but the rule only calls out entrenchments, not Fortifications to be set up revealed (sneaky rules buggers). Great catch as I'm not sure if I ever remember noticing the difference in wording.

BTW have you tried using Permanent Marker pens [EX: Staedtler Lumocolor or Sharpie Markers] for adapting counters? They seem to work quite well and hold up for a very long time with relatively heavy use of counters (I play FtF at least once a week, almost every week, and have done so for about the last 10 years).

Good Stuff, really enjoy following the game!

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
BTW have you tried using Permanent Marker pens [EX: Staedtler Lumocolor or Sharpie Markers] for adapting counters? They seem to work quite well and hold up for a very long time with relatively heavy use of counters
Yes I have tried out the pen you describe and it works fine with them also.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which side set up first and moved first in the Dual Attack for the 5th battle date ? From what I can recall I only played one night battle in all the RBs CGs I have played. Never have I seen a dual attack where after set up the random selection as to who goes first. I would imagine that would be an interesting dynamic on the CG.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Hi, the Russians set up first and moved first, and entered with 24 squads and 8 Leaders leading them straight to glory and death.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Summary of the first 5 Days, 17/10 -21/10

German OB: 26 Leaders. Total Sq-eq 112.
6x Rifle Coy = 69x 467. 3x Sturm Coy= 36x 548
Hvy W pltn, 4x Pak 40 , 3x INF 75, 1x INF 150.
Pz IIIL pltn, StuG IIIB pltn. SPW pltn.

Russian OB: 25 Leaders. Total Sq-eq 171.5.
7x Rifle Coy = 75x 447. 4x Militia Coy = 60x 426. 3x SMG Coy = 25x 527. 1x Gds SMG Coy 9x 628.
1x MOL-P pltn, 2x AT 45LL. T-70 pltn

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Remaining OB after 5 Days of combat

German OB: 12 Leaders. Total Sq-eq 36
24x Elite, 6x 1st/2nd Line, 12x Crews.
1x GrW34, 3x Pak 40 , 3x INF 75, 1x INF 150.
1x Pz IIIL, 1x StuG IIIB pltn, 2x SPW 251/1.
19 SWs: 1x HMG, 8x MMG, 7x LMG, 3x Lt MTR,

Russian OB: 12 Leaders. Total Sq-eq 39.5.
1x Elite, 24.5x 1st Line, 14x Conscripts.
1x AT 45LL. 19 SWs: 4x MMG, 6x LMG, 5x ATR, 2x Lt MTR, 2x MOL-P.

German Total Losses:
76x Sq-eq, 6x AFVs, 2x Guns

Russians Total Losses:
132x Sq-eq, 3x AFVs, 1x Gun.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks as if the Russians are in a bind by about one day, especially in the area of the Commissar's House.

I see you incorporated Gutted Buildings in a similar fashion to FB as well (same here). If you are like me and play RB as much to experience the game as much as a competitive experience, here's a small HR we added to one of our playings.Its addition was of little real impact overall I believe, but added a bit of chrome and some interesting CG day abilities in a short run. Perhaps a candidate for the Leaflet HRs?:cool:

HR 11.621 RAT RUNS: During the Refit phase a side may purchase a Path through a Debris/Rubble location at the cost of 1FPP+COT. Movement along such a Path is 1MF. Paths are considered connected to Trenches/A-T Ditches (As per RB SSR6). Unlike movement through Trenches, a unit moving from a Trench through a "Rat Run" would lose concealment normally; whereas a concealed unit on a Rat Run could move directly into a connected Trench and retain concealment.

HR 11.621 PURCHASING FORTIFICATIONS:{Addition}
FORTIFICATION PURCHASE TABLE
Fortification Type FPP Cost
Path (Rat Run) 1+COT

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Sounds interesting but I do think it will be to much chrome, lol.
Looks as if the Russians are in a bind by about one day, especially in the area of the Commissar's House.

I see you incorporated Gutted Buildings in a similar fashion to FB as well (same here). If you are like me and play RB as much to experience the game as much as a competitive experience, here's a small HR we added to one of our playings.Its addition was of little real impact overall I believe, but added a bit of chrome and some interesting CG day abilities in a short run. Perhaps a candidate for the Leaflet HRs?:cool:

HR 11.621 RAT RUNS: During the Refit phase a side may purchase a Path through a Debris/Rubble location at the cost of 1FPP+COT. Movement along such a Path is 1MF. Paths are considered connected to Trenches/A-T Ditches (As per RB SSR6). Unlike movement through Trenches, a unit moving from a Trench through a "Rat Run" would lose concealment normally; whereas a concealed unit on a Rat Run could move directly into a connected Trench and retain concealment.

Path (Rat Run) 1+COT

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Path (Rat Run) 1+COT
We just use conscripts to clear a path if it's a important rubble hex. Nice idea though.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We just use conscripts to clear a path if it's a important rubble hex. Nice idea though.
Yeah, we tried using a TB at first, but the intention was not to permit the eventual elimination of the TEM of a rubbled hex, but to allow increased movement opportunities trough such terrain. It became readily apparent when establishing trench lines connected to rubbled hexes and reading how they (Russians especially) used such paths through the rubbled city to rapidly move through areas that this was a possible approach to accomplish both tasks. Now after posting this and taking to my arch nemesis in RB Steve Rogers, our cost should have probably stated +1 & TEM as COT could vary based upon MF or MP. All in all we had a fun time utilizing it (and he stomped my butt again anyway!).:nod:

PVeenstra

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNetherlands
A New CG started, my opponent play the Germans, 4 Germ Coy charge towards the Barricades with the support of artillery and Stuka. See link for pictures from Stalingrad.
http://forum.aslsweden.com//index.php?showtopic=3509

Russians had 5 Coy on the defence line with the support of 2 AT-Guns and two +80mm battalion artillery.

The battle lasted 8 Game Turns.
Russian Cas: 27 sq-eq, 1 leader, 1 Gun, 5 SWs.
German Cas: 17.5 sq-eq, 4 leaders, 4 SWs.
Hi Melvin, (and others)
I´m in my second RB campaign, the Barrikady. Second time as the Russians. The first one I lost. After 5 days I was so decimated that me and my gaming buddy MJ decided that the Russian case was hopeless.. In this universe the Germans would win the war..

I´m in day two now. First day I lost 33 VP´s (one KV tank, the rest squads) and the Germans just 5.
We´re starting turn 6 of day 2 today, and already I´m down 39 VP (again one KV, the rest squads) and I´ve killed a whopping 3 VP from the Germans.. 3? Yes 3.. :-(

I´m trying to find out what I´m doing wrong. Somehow the noble art of killing Germans eludes me.

Looking at the AAR´s I seems to position my troops correctly. I bought 2 companies in day 1 and 3 in day2. Day 1 I bought dug in KV´s, in day 2 I bought 2 arty. All very traditional. My set up also doesn´t seem to differ from others. Spent most of my fortification points.

I thought off the following options:
  • Artillery Not very effective, scored some VP´s but not much
  • MMC Direct fire: Usually too weak to have an effect. So I break a German. He just rallies
  • MMC + Machine guns: Same thing. I break some, kill some, but not much. As soon as I unconceal I get killed by Killer stacks
  • Mines: Didn´t use them yet. Will try day 3
  • Mortars: didn´t use them effectively yet. Will try to fire from roofs (yuk.. Stuka´s) or work with spotters
  • CC: Tried that too. Always a good trade. But getting close is a problem (got killed or broken) and sneaking up on the Germans by HIP, from cellars or sewers didn´t work out that well.
Looking at your AAR Melvin, the Russians do seems to fight back.. But how?.. :)

Any hints & tips are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Melvin, (and others)
I´m in my second RB campaign, the Barrikady. Second time as the Russians. The first one I lost. After 5 days I was so decimated that me and my gaming buddy MJ decided that the Russian case was hopeless.. In this universe the Germans would win the war..

I´m in day two now. First day I lost 33 VP´s (one KV tank, the rest squads) and the Germans just 5.
We´re starting turn 6 of day 2 today, and already I´m down 39 VP (again one KV, the rest squads) and I´ve killed a whopping 3 VP from the Germans.. 3? Yes 3.. :-(

I´m trying to find out what I´m doing wrong. Somehow the noble art of killing Germans eludes me.

Looking at the AAR´s I seems to position my troops correctly. I bought 2 companies in day 1 and 3 in day2. Day 1 I bought dug in KV´s, in day 2 I bought 2 arty. All very traditional. My set up also doesn´t seem to differ from others. Spent most of my fortification points.

• MMC Direct fire: Usually too weak to have an effect. So I break a German. He just rallies
  • MMC + Machine guns: Same thing. I break some, kill some, but not much. As soon as I unconceal I get killed by Killer stacks
  • Mortars: didn´t use them effectively yet. Will try to fire from roofs (yuk.. Stuka´s) or work with spotters
  • CC: Tried that too. Always a good trade. But getting close is a problem (got killed or broken) and sneaking up on the Germans by HIP, from cellars or sewers didn´t work out that well.

It may simply be your approach to game play.
1. Keep buying ARTY, it'll pay off.
2. Being in Stone buildings, you can afford to stack somewhat or use multi-location FGs. If conscripts are in factories they won't cower either. Also, when you fire and break a unit, keep kicking it, especially if it's a German leader. Don't waste you concealment if it's only a questionable shot. If you have to think about it, don't do it.
3. His MG "buzzsaw" stacks are awesome targets for ARTY (esp. Smoke) or those fearful 3 ROF Mtrs you have on rooftops, perhaps even engaging them with dug-in T-60s. Failing that, plaster him everytime he is so foolish to form them (love taking on those "killer stacks" as it mostly kills the killer). Put them on the horns of a dilemma, sure you'll suffer some but if you're persistent those positions he will learn are bullet magnets and quite unhealthy. As an aside here: I think you over-bought on the KV's. A buy of T-60's or T-70's dug-in and set up concealed/HIP (IIRC this can be done per SSR or by the rules), are much more effective especially early.
4. Mines in certain circumstances can be relatively effective, but remember, they are impediments (obstacles) to movement but not defensive positions by themselves. If not covered by fire (or the area around them that you wish to push him into), they are not much of an impediment at all, just a nuisance. Best use is on the flanks or to deny him access to the Volga.
5. Mortars, keep putting them on the rooftops and using them as often as possible. Damn the Stukas and full speed ahead! If he's engaging them, he's probably missing out on other targets, especially repositioning Russians.
6. Sewers, Tunnels, HIP guys popping out of cellars and CC can be your friends in the right circumstances but timing is everything. You must take calculated risks for each such action. Rule of thumb is not to use conscripts for this unless absolutely necessary.
7. Probably too late, but the burn & run gambit has to be well timed and not done too early. The best killing ground the Russkies have is in the early fight as the Germs enter from offboard. If your left flank is fortified with mines and perhaps even wire to deflect the Huns into the open or face some tough decisions to breach in the face of Russkie FP. The options he'll be faced with are somewhat daunting. Meanwhile he'll have to advance in relatively open ground towards the Reds ensconced in stone building (and perhaps fortified ones at that). A note on Fortified buildings: 1st, they should be placed in locations critical to your defense only; 2nd, if at all possible, place them in a manner to gain maximum benefit to you and marginal benefit to him should they fall and be taken by him. 3rd, consider using at least one to make a tunnel from a covered and concealed reserve location to a critical defensive position. Springing a couple of concealed (formerly HIP) SMG units through a tunnel on a Germ MG kill stack or critical assault element has a deleterious effect upon your opponents PMC.

Just a few thoughts and as always, Roll Low! (it helps a lot).

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Not really sure what to say, if you posted some pictures, perhaps I could give some advice how you should deal with certain tactical decision.

Ex:
Should I Stand or Retreat in this situation?
Fire or not?
Take the CC or Self-break?
Initiate CC or not?
What should be defended in Strengh and what should not be defended so much?

Need more stats , now all info I get is that you play with similar tactics but with different results.

Perhaps you should mention that the German have three 10-3 Leaders
I mean, what you write it sounds like it.

Russian Mines are overrated due to being too expensive.

Hi Melvin, (and others)

PVeenstra

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNetherlands
It may simply be your approach to game play.
1. Keep buying ARTY, it'll pay off.
2. Being in Stone buildings, you can afford to stack somewhat or use multi-location FGs. If conscripts are in factories they won't cower either. Also, when you fire and break a unit, keep kicking it, especially if it's a German leader. Don't waste you concealment if it's only a questionable shot. If you have to think about it, don't do it.
3. His MG "buzzsaw" stacks are awesome targets for ARTY (esp. Smoke) or those fearful 3 ROF Mtrs you have on rooftops, perhaps even engaging them with dug-in T-60s. Failing that, plaster him everytime he is so foolish to form them (love taking on those "killer stacks" as it mostly kills the killer). Put them on the horns of a dilemma, sure you'll suffer some but if you're persistent those positions he will learn are bullet magnets and quite unhealthy. As an aside here: I think you over-bought on the KV's. A buy of T-60's or T-70's dug-in and set up concealed/HIP (IIRC this can be done per SSR or by the rules), are much more effective especially early.
4. Mines in certain circumstances can be relatively effective, but remember, they are impediments (obstacles) to movement but not defensive positions by themselves. If not covered by fire (or the area around them that you wish to push him into), they are not much of an impediment at all, just a nuisance. Best use is on the flanks or to deny him access to the Volga.
5. Mortars, keep putting them on the rooftops and using them as often as possible. Damn the Stukas and full speed ahead! If he's engaging them, he's probably missing out on other targets, especially repositioning Russians.
6. Sewers, Tunnels, HIP guys popping out of cellars and CC can be your friends in the right circumstances but timing is everything. You must take calculated risks for each such action. Rule of thumb is not to use conscripts for this unless absolutely necessary.
7. Probably too late, but the burn & run gambit has to be well timed and not done too early. The best killing ground the Russkies have is in the early fight as the Germs enter from offboard. If your left flank is fortified with mines and perhaps even wire to deflect the Huns into the open or face some tough decisions to breach in the face of Russkie FP. The options he'll be faced with are somewhat daunting. Meanwhile he'll have to advance in relatively open ground towards the Reds ensconced in stone building (and perhaps fortified ones at that). A note on Fortified buildings: 1st, they should be placed in locations critical to your defense only; 2nd, if at all possible, place them in a manner to gain maximum benefit to you and marginal benefit to him should they fall and be taken by him. 3rd, consider using at least one to make a tunnel from a covered and concealed reserve location to a critical defensive position. Springing a couple of concealed (formerly HIP) SMG units through a tunnel on a Germ MG kill stack or critical assault element has a deleterious effect upon your opponents PMC.

Just a few thoughts and as always, Roll Low! (it helps a lot).
Hi T.Y.
Thanks!
For day 3 I´ve bought 2 120 mm arty. That should do the trick. I´ve place my mortars now on the roof or overlooking debris fields.
I lost 46 VP´s (!!) in day 2. So I bought 2 Rifle companies to replenish. In reserve.
Only had 16CP so n money for fortification. (Or I would have to buy just 1 120mm and a 80mm. But 80 didn´t really pack a punch in Day 2)
I have the feeling I´m sort of lost, but I won´t give in. Perhaps a miracle will happen. some lucky art shots just might waste a company.
Will also study the sewer map..

And I´ll post a link to my AAR.. So you can see how I fared in day 3 (ad in day 2 by the way..)

Regards
Peter

PVeenstra

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNetherlands
Not really sure what to say, if you posted some pictures, perhaps I could give some advice how you should deal with certain tactical decision.

Ex:
Should I Stand or Retreat in this situation?
Fire or not?
Take the CC or Self-break?
Initiate CC or not?
What should be defended in Strengh and what should not be defended so much?

Need more stats , now all info I get is that you play with similar tactics but with different results.

Perhaps you should mention that the German have three 10-3 Leaders
I mean, what you write it sounds like it.

Russian Mines are overrated due to being too expensive.
Hi Melvin,
You´re right..
I will prepare a post with stats. I´m keeping a spreadsheet with the losses for each turn and the cause of the loss.
I have pictures of each turn too. We play partly on the board (fortnightly) and on VASL. Great for record keeping.
Wil take some time to prepare..

Had to laugh at "is that you play with similar tactics but with different results."
There´s a story about natives in the pacific in WW2. The Americans used their atol as a landing spot. With each plane came food and goodies for the locals and when the war was over, the planes were sorely missed.
So they had this wonderful idea. They built a wooden hut, made headphones from bamboo, simulated the radio table and maps and had "operators" mimicking all the movements and sounds the Americans made. All to entice the "big birds" to return.
You can guess the result.. :)

Hehe.. That´s sort of how I felt..

Get back to you ok?
Thanks!
RB is a wonderful game. I want to make the most of it.. :)
Regards
Peter