Cessation of Melee - Platoon Movement

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all,
I am wondering about the sequence in a fairly unusual event.
A broken squad is in Melee with a stopped, bypass AFV.
That AFV is part of a platoon that starts in MPh.
Said AFV leaves the hex, but the trailing member of the platoon moves into its position.
Both then stop.
1. Is Melee gone at any point here? Replaced with a CC?
2. Is simply going into motion enough to remove Melee?
3. If not, is the impulse nature of the platoon movement enough to keep the squads in melee, or is leaving the hex enough to remove the counter?
The key point for me is whether any surviving brokies can now run upstairs in rout phase.
Thanks for any insights and/or rambling off-point non-sequiturs.
Paul

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per the A11.52 EX, when a vehicle expends a start MP it releases all the units that were held in Melee solely by it. Unbroken Infantry could use CC-Reaction Fire (or use regular defensive first fire) immediately after being released if otherwise able. A CC counter would be placed in a variety of situations, but I don't believe being released from Melee is one of them.

As a terminological point, a vehicle that expends a start MP during its MPh is not in Motion. It is not stopped instead. It is only in Motion outside its MPh.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As soon as the vehicle becomes non-stopped the Melee is ended, A11.15 " ...they[EXC: bicyclists, skiers] are considered to be locked in Melee and may not leave that Location or attack except as part of CC.15 Infantry are also held in Melee by enemy Cavalry, cyclists, and non-Abandoned, Stopped, "unbroken" (12.1) vehicles." The broken unit(s) could then rout if able to do so in the upcoming RtPh.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
...A CC counter would be placed in a variety of situations, but I don't believe being released from Melee is one of them.
Correct. Though I think one should be placed when the second AFV enters the hex and stop, per A12.151:
"...Mark the stack with a CC counter to indicate that Melee rules do not yet apply...."