CdG - French Blue Shades

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started punching, trimming and sorting CdG this weekend. There are 3 different shades of French Bleu.:oops: Too bad the darkest is the preferable shade and is only on one countersheet. :(

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Something must have happened at the printers this time around. On my copies there are two slightly different shades.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My copy should be arriving soon... I certainly hope the color variations are not as broad as those of the Russians which I have accumulated over the years.

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mine are the same, in fact one counter sheet has blue that varies from one side to the other. But at least they aren't purple (my KGP II), or die cut offset so far it cuts into the counter info (my BV AFVs), or the information is so blurry it can't be read (my Pegasus Bridge).

I've always found it ironic that many TPP (esp. BFP and LFT) have FAR better counter quality than MMP's products. Go figure.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
not quite. The 1940 French is the lightest shade and their ordinance (sheet 5 of 11) is darkest shade,
I'm getting a similar distribution so I don't think we'll be able to swap countersheets (if we wanted to) to even out the blue colors.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I would agree there are two slightly different shades but nothing egregious. Differences between various vintages of German/Soviet/American counters have been much more pronounced.
Good grief, yes. These are all obviously French, no real issue. My Russians range from "Is that British?" to "hard to read black on that deep a brown."

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
The Russian shades differences is a rather weak argument, as they are due to different publications along past thirty years.
As much as I don't mind about the variations of the French blues, it remains a problem that they occured within the same print run.
I presume that MMP will have a discussion with the printer on that question.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I presume that MMP will have a discussion with the printer on that question.
Accoring to Brian Y on FB, they plan to contact the printer when the current situation allows it.

I too was surprised to see the different shades of blue (not that my copies were all that bad) from MMP's printer - don't think I seen that before from the current printer.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Am I the only one whose counter sheets appear to have uniform coloring? I'm not seeing the difference on mine that are in the pics.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I find the differences of shades very slight.
I am not sure that I would have noticed them if nobody had spoken of them.