CCV: CONSCRIPTS! Corona VASL-Tournament 2020

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Due to the world being in lockdown, there will be no physical meetup in Bavaria this year. But we are happy to announce the online edition of Conscripts! 2020:

CCV 2020 will take place on four (european) evenings, will have four rounds of "Swiss" (McMahon, to be precise) with random scenarios drawn from a decentralized, curated pool of scenarios.

Max. Number of players is 16

There will be prizes for the top-cut, as usual donated by our friends at Gamer's HQ.
A Panzerknacker-Trophy is donated and created by Tim, thanks Tim! Tim will announce the exact rules for the Trophy himself.

Some of our regulars already have called dibs on some of the slots, for the remaining slots at the tournament, we are able to open up registration for everybody. Registration is free of charge and happens by sending an email to:

gezi@conscripts.de

We will fill up the 16 slots on a first-come, first served basis. Registration will be closed on May 7th, 1700 CET. Your registration is confirmed once you enter the Discord-Server.

What do you need to play?
  1. VASSAL
  2. Mic/Speaker/Headphone arrangement for online VoIP
  3. a Discord account (can be created during registration)
During the tournament, we will communicate via Discord. We encourage the individual matches to also use Discord's VoIP Once, but opponents are free to switch over to the VoIP-arrangement both are most happy with (Skype, zoom etc.). Once registered, you will get a link to our discord server, as well as a unique install of the VASL module. Using a unique version allows us to be "hidden" from all other VASL games during the time of the tournament.

Schedule

Round 1 Friday, May 8th, 1900 CET

Pool Curator: WuWei
Round 2 Saturday, May 9th, 1700 CET
Pool Curator: Genosse Gelb

Round 3 Friday, May 15th, 1900 CET
Pool Curator: Kris
Round 4 Saturday, May 16th 1700 CET
Pool Curator: tunnix

Results need to be reported two hours before the start of the next round the latest. Once in the Discord chat, at the start of each round, the corresponding curator will publicly roll the dice to determine which scenario from his curated pool will be played during that round. The pairings will be determined by the McMahon algorithm and announced on the Discord server, too.

Last edited:

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Players will be expected to continue. We will have prizes for TOP4, so every match counts even for the ambitious! Also, it might be fun to play;-) We also have the Panzerknacker-Trophy awarded for the most AFV kills, so you can even win while losing.

korillis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The pairings are done according to McMahon system (actually, with no different starting ranks it actually is a Swiss system), that means you can play each round and you will paired in the next round against somebody who has approximately the same number of wins so far. So after the first two rounds I expect the stronger players to be matched against each other, and the weaker players matched against each other. I hope, everybody will play each round - if you cannot play one round please inform the organizers as soon as possible. The winner should have played all four rounds.

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
We are at 13/16 participants, on-boarding emails will go out later today. And yes Matt, I got your registration, you are in:)

Update on the prizes: they will be gift certificates for the Online Store of Gamer's HQ. After some deliberation, that makes more sense in a VASL tourney.
They do international delivery!

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
On-boarding email is out, please check if you got yours. If not, please email me again.

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Currently 3 Slots remain open, we will close entrance Friday 3p.m. Amsterdam time the latest!

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Currently 3 Slots remain open, we will close entrance Friday 3p.m. Amsterdam time the latest!
Amsterdam time ???

I see no Dutch participants :) .

How about Valetta time :), just as relevant?

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yes, indeed, Valetta-time is just as good!
Still some spots open, join in the fray!

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
...and registration is final and closed! We got 12 +2 Kibitzers/newbies

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks to my opponents for some fun games and the tourny organisers for all the hard work that must have gone into the event.

Maybe I can make it in person next year............if not another VASL tourny please :)

Genosse Gelb

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thank you Joe for the comment! It was a pleasure meeting you, and we would be very happy to meet you in person next time!

Thanks for everybody participating. The scenarios that were played:

Round 1: Adolf's Amateurs
Round 2: Holding the Hotton Bridge
Round 3: Husum Hotfoot
Round 4: Second Thoughts

I think the new curated pool system worked fine and the scenarios were generally received as fitting and balanced, with maybe an exception being made for Holding the Hotton Bridge.

We had long discussions about that one, it seems very friendly to the Germans, was the consensus. Especially if you assume the river is frozen, as per Evan Sherry's clarification. In history, the river was not frozen, but the rules and the ASL scenario Index indicated otherwise.
This raised the issue of what ROAR stats actually mean, if most people played it with a frigid river, what is a tournament to do? Play contrary to a later clarification and the rules to second-guess how the ROAR-reporters actually played that thing? I have no good answer yet.