CCP Postmortem Discusses Virtual Item Sales

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems to me that CCPs real problem is a lack of follow-through. After reading a bunch of these articles on past CCP expansions, it seems like CCP gets really excited by a concept, rushes it into an expansion, and then loses interest when it comes to handling all the nitty-gritty minutia the expansion introduced. Then they rush off to the next interesting concept and the process repeats. If I was CCP, I would just announce that EVE is gonna take a pause in the "new idea department" and just have the next two expansions focus on polishing and expanding their previously released content, including the incorporation of community suggestions/bug fixes/etc.

Anyway, here's the article:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6339021/microtransaction-missteps-in-eve-online

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Welcome to EVE Online. :smoke:

CCP is like a little kid that has a bad habit of always ordering the largest ice cream sunday on the menu only to lose interest half way through and then blow chunks on the table. And they wait two years before attempting to clean up the mess.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
it seems like CCP gets really excited by a concept, rushes it into an expansion, and then loses interest when it comes to handling all the nitty-gritty minutia the expansion introduced. Then they rush off to the next interesting concept and the process repeats.
Oh that would never happen in LOTRO :D

*Cough*

Pillar

Reaction score
It seems to me that CCPs real problem is a lack of follow-through. After reading a bunch of these articles on past CCP expansions, it seems like CCP gets really excited by a concept, rushes it into an expansion, and then loses interest when it comes to handling all the nitty-gritty minutia the expansion introduced. Then they rush off to the next interesting concept and the process repeats. If I was CCP, I would just announce that EVE is gonna take a pause in the "new idea department" and just have the next two expansions focus on polishing and expanding their previously released content, including the incorporation of community suggestions/bug fixes/etc.

Anyway, here's the article:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6339021/microtransaction-missteps-in-eve-online
100% agree.

The CEO should just resign.

Expanding the game with clothing options that nobody cared about in the first place, and expecting people to spend money on something that nobody else can see? Brilliant.

They need new leadership.

Last edited:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It also suggests a bit of timidity. We're gonna give you clothes! But you don't have to buy them if you don't want to. We're gonna give you planetary development! But you don't have to get involved if you don't want to. We gonna give you walking on stations! But you don't have to leave your ship if you don't want to.

It's a strange formula.

CCP should say "We're gonna give you clothes and you'll want to buy them! And we gonna give you planetary interactions, and you'll want to get involved! And we're gonna give you walking on stations and you're gonna want to walk on stations!"

They're just not selling what they're working on, almost as if they are afraid of their own success.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It also suggests a bit of timidity. We're gonna give you clothes! But you don't have to buy them if you don't want to. We're gonna give you planetary development! But you don't have to get involved if you don't want to. We gonna give you walking on stations! But you don't have to leave your ship if you don't want to.

It's a strange formula.

CCP should say "We're gonna give you clothes and you'll want to buy them! And we gonna give you planetary interactions, and you'll want to get involved! And we're gonna give you walking on stations and you're gonna want to walk on stations!"
I'll give you an even better formula: give the players what they actually want and stop trying to convince them they want to play some other kind of game. I don't object to expanding EVE Online in new ways unless these "improvements" come at the expense of the core of the game. Which is exactly what's happened. I don't care how cool my avatar looks or whether I can walk around a space station if the core of the game is broken and uninteresting.