CC vs Pillbox

Mr Higgs

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Im playing mission Fortified Line.
I have units in the pillbox hex and there are enemy units in the pillbox.
Since we are not in the same location there would be no melee, so can I initiate close combat during the enemy turn or only my turn ?
The rules seem to state that because the enemy is in an IP in Hold attitude they dont have to try to initiate CC during their turn.

If I eliminate all the enemy in the pillbox during CC can I advance into the pillbox during that CC phase or do I have to wait until my next turn ?

If the mission ends before my next turn and I havent moved a unit into the pillbox does the enemy still control the pillbox even though they no units left on the board ?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im playing mission Fortified Line.
I have units in the pillbox hex and there are enemy units in the pillbox.
Since we are not in the same location there would be no melee, so can I initiate close combat during the enemy turn or only my turn ?
The rules seem to state that because the enemy is in an IP in Hold attitude they dont have to try to initiate CC during their turn.

If I eliminate all the enemy in the pillbox during CC can I advance into the pillbox during that CC phase or do I have to wait until my next turn ?

If the mission ends before my next turn and I havent moved a unit into the pillbox does the enemy still control the pillbox even though they no units left on the board ?
1). CC is resolved normally for units IN a Pillbox and Infantry outside the Pillbox in the same hex (EXC: A11.1, & B30.6) so CC occurs in both player turns I believe (there may be some argument here though).
2). You could Withdraw INTO the Pillbox if your FRIENDLY side had gained Ambush & eliminated the units within the Pillbox but otherwise you'd have to wait until the next FRIENDLY player turn to do so.
3.) Yes, the ENEMY Pillbox is a Separate Location and therefore, though you may control the hex you do not control the Pillbox Location as the ENEMY side was the last to Control the Location with a Good Order MMC.

Mr Higgs

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I never thought of the ambush withdrawl angle.
Well done, thanks.

I went through the SASL CC rules again and the part about being in an IP in Hold attitude refers to the ENEMY advancing into a new location to initiate CC.
Since the Enemy doesnt actually advance out of the pillbox for CC the part about CC being resolved normally makes me think you are right in saying CC would occur in both player turns.
I cant think of an instance where an Enemy in Hold would ever advance out of a pillbox.