CC vs Motorcycle

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's the situation: a 3-3-6 partisan squad is ADJACENT to a non motion motorcycle with sidecar on the road. The sidecar has a 4-2-6 conscript and a 8-0 leader on it. In the hex is another 7-0 leader not riding anything. I'm not really worried about the partisan vs conscript part, but I included it in case it makes some sort of difference in how this situation plays out.

1) What is the procedure to advance into the hex? PAATC required?
2) What happens after the squad advances in? Can they stay locked up in melee or does the squad go back?

I'm confused because sometimes the CC rules say vehicle and sometimes it says AFV. Thanks in advance for your help!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A motorcycle is not an AFV - so no PAATC is needed.

I am not sure whether a Motorcycle is considered to be a vehicle for other than movement purposes though - e.g., I am not sure is Street Fighting applies, NRBH.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Just to give the rules references :
A11.6 specifies that PAATC is vs an AFV.

I would guess that the attacking infantry applies the -1 CC DRM for attacking Riders (which is the status of the guys on the sidecar).
Note, too, that the Riders of the sidecar cannot attack.
D15.6 RIDER FIRE: Riders mounted on cycles may not attack on the IFT or CCT.
I don't think that cycles are vehicles - even though they are considered "vehicular"...When fired upon, the cylces are not targets by themselves - which differs from normal vehicles.
So I don't think that Street Fighting would apply and I would venture that if units of both sides survive the CCPh, they are in Melee.
But D1.11 lists motorcycles among vehicles, so I am not sure...
D15.1 Motorcycles are vehicular because they transport Riders and expend MP (rather than MF) as per the Motorcycle column of the MP Entrance Cost section of the Terrain Chart.
D15.5 TARGET STATUS: Fire is directed at the Rider of the motorcycle—not at the motorcycle itself and therefore does not cause any Collateral Attack or Immobilization result.
<snip> Any unmounted motorcycle is considered a SW for purposes of self- and Random Destruction (A9.73-.74).
D1.11 MOTORCYCLE: A vehicle classified as a Motorcycle for movement purposes is recognizable by its white counter and its obvious overhead depiction.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Note, too, that the Riders of the sidecar cannot attack.
Actually the Riders of a Sidecar can attack.

D15.6:
"Riders mounted on cycles may not attack on the IFT or CCT. Riders mounted on sidecars may attack with half FP as Mounted Fire, which could be further reduced as AFPh Fire/any other application of halving FP..."

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I read some of the references you two referred to as well. That just started making my head spinning. No street fighting was involved so if both sides failed to on their respective CC dice rolls, would they be in melee? Also, how does the 7-0 leader play into this? Is the attack sequential or is the 7-0 combined in with the original attack without the -1 penalty?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Actually the Riders of a Sidecar can attack.

D15.6:
"Riders mounted on cycles may not attack on the IFT or CCT. Riders mounted on sidecars may attack with half FP as Mounted Fire, which could be further reduced as AFPh Fire/any other application of halving FP..."
Ouch.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I read some of the references you two referred to as well. That just started making my head spinning. No street fighting was involved so if both sides failed to on their respective CC dice rolls, would they be in melee? Also, how does the 7-0 leader play into this? Is the attack sequential or is the 7-0 combined in with the original attack without the -1 penalty?
My head is spinning too.
I leave the answers to Klas, our spin doctor.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't think the motorcycle is a vehicle. If it were it would have to be attacked as CC-vs-vehicle A10.5. Not being a vehicle means there is no street fighting, CC would not be sequential (unless there is another cause), and the leader may defend with a cycle-mounted MMC. (BTW many similar questions can be asked about cavalry. Because cavalry is not vehicular [A13.3], some don't arise, but questions about how cavalry and infantry interact in CC are still relevant.) Infantry are held in melee by cyclists whether stopped or not [A11.15], but the cyclists, being Riders, would not be held in Melee.

It's actually not too clear whether a SMC can stack with a MMC that is a passenger/rider on a vehicle. Riders can be attacked separately from their vehicle [A11.611], but Passengers(/crew) may not [A11.611].

JR