CC Sequential AFV Japanease ATTACKER HtH?

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Japanese conduct an Armored Assault Banzai and end up in a hex with: 1 Japanese AFV, 1 Japanese Squad and 1 US HS.

CC Phase: Because of the AFV, the CC is Sequential with the US going first, despite the Japanese being the ATTACKER.

Question: does the US attack on the HtH table?

I would argue yes. G1.64 says: Whenever >_ one unbroken Japanese Infantry/Cavalry unit is the ATTACKER in CC/Melee...that CC/Melee automatically becomes HtH...

In non-Japanese situations, either by SSR, Gurkhas, whatever, declaring HtH is always couched as something the ATTACKER/Ambusher may do - so if these weren't Japanese I'd say the US couldn't use HtH because they aren't the ATTACKER, didn't Ambush and aren't allowed to declare HtH by SSR or any other rule.

However, with Japanese as the ATTACKER, CC just automatically becomes HtH. So I would think that in the situation described with sequential CC, the US would attack on the HtH table.

Thoughts?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The ASOP has H2H declared in 8.21B, as part of the first sequential attack (or when the attacker declares all CC attacks for simultaneous CC). In this case the American would be making the first sequential CC attack and so determining whether H2H is declared. That said, G1.64 doesn't speak to which side is doing the declaring, only that if the Japanese are the unambushed and unpinned ATTACKER, the CC becomes H2H. I think I agree with you: the American must declare the CC H2H.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Real style points would have been to Armoured Assault with the Banzai, Overrun the target and move the tank out leaving just the squad. Just needed to make sure the squad had enough movement to do it. And if you could have done it while platoon moving...

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Real style points would have been to Armoured Assault with the Banzai, Overrun the target and move the tank out leaving just the squad. Just needed to make sure the squad had enough movement to do it. And if you could have done it while platoon moving...
It was my opponent doing it and yes it was platoon movement with 3 tanks. ? The Banzai took all 8 MF so he couldn't move the tanks onward. Next turn we'll see if my two Shermans and bazooka can make him pay...