CC Reaction Fire D7.2 and Thh G1.421

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Purist said:
"After some lengthy rules searching, my opponent said I hadn't hit the vehicle in the first place due to a +2 mod for in-hex fire."

Eeeewwww. :eek: Yes, you would have got the hit. Until the vehicle safely makes it over the wall it has not entered your hex of the board 10 town. It's 'belly up' in the adjacent hex. 'Tis how I read the rule.
Well, what the heck. You live and learn, right? Only a game, even though we all obsess over it. :nuts:

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
bebakken said:
However, I still contend that versus an OVR AFV, the target of the OVR may only use Reaction Fire, and not "normal" DFF. Otherwise, I really can find no reason for a LATW to use Non-CC Reaction Fire if "normal" DFF is available, especially since "normal" DFF would be resolved before the OVR is resolved. (IMO, automatically hitting the rear Target Facing is not reason enough to withhold fire until Non-CC Reaction Fire.)
Here, its very important to distinguish between units manning a Gun, and units manning SW ordnance (ATR, bazooka, PF etc.).

Those manning a Gun can endeed use (almost) normal DFF before the declared OVR is performed. But this DFF is treated as OVR Prevention, which among other things, inflicts a NMC on the firer.

Those able to fire SW ordnance can not use OVR Prevention, so the question is whether those can shoot before the OVR as a perfectly normal DFF, or only after (as Non-CC Reaction Fire).

...and the answer is "Yes", they can, so trying to OVR such a unit is very dangerous.

Notwithstanding the Q&A that Brian mentioned... and which he also pointed out was obsolete anyway with regard to the 2nd Ed ASLRB...

If it came down to lobbying for a particular point of view, I would lobby hard for my view (if such lobbying would even matter; others have Perry's ear far more than I do.) Since it comes down to a "rules argument" in this forum... I don't think further discussion will get anywhere.
I agree that the Q&A is obsolete since it came before the 2nd Ed. I think any Q&A that is not contradicted by the 2nd Ed should carry some weight though. Fortunately there is another, official, 2nd ed source, the OVR Flowchart. When looking at the Defensive Fire Options Before OVR chart, it makes clear that LATW, other SW ordnance, FT, MG, DC and MOL can be used normally before the application of the OVR.

This is a fully official chart, so I don't see that there is need for further discussion.

Is there a smilie for surrender?... How 'bout... :hurray:
:clap:

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Brian W said:
Well the charts do not superceed the rules if there is a conflict. The official q&a I quoted was old, from ASLRBv1. While old q&a no longer applies to ASLRBv2, I think that it indicates the answer you will get if you submit another q&a.
But there isn't a conflict between the rules and the chart. The rules are vague (and can be interpreted both ways), while the chart is absolutely clear, and thus tells us which interpretation of the rule that is correct.