CC/Melee with broken units on both sides (also the world's worst glider landing)

Funkyfresh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sorry for the longwinded question... I just wanted to give context to make sure eveyone understands how I could possibly have got into the situation I did. If I messed something up that would normally make the below situation impossible, I'd love to know!

Here's the action:

Pegasus Bridge, British Turn 1.

A glider containing British Airborne 6-4-8/LMG, 4-5-8/PIAT, 2-4-8 HS, 8-1 fail their landing roll and land in the same hex as a concealed German 1-2-7 Crew. The glider is damaged but not eliminated. The German crew fires TPBF and loses concealment, but does not damage the glider further. In the AFPh, Random Selection eliminates the HS. The 8-1 fails his MC, causing LLTC, which pins the 4-5-8. The 6-4-8 then fails his MC. Both SWs malfunction.

So far, so bad.

4-5-8 AFPh vs the 1-2-7, TPBF, halved for Advancing Fire, halved for Pin, scores a MC. 1-2-7 breaks.

CC time.

We have 2 broken British and a pinned British unit vs. a broken German unit. British did not advance into the location, so no Ambush is possible.

Here's where it gets fuzzy for me.

British have the option to announce any withdrawals first. Assume they don't, and neither does the German (or the German fails to withdraw) and no damage is done during CC. It's not a melee yet, so the presence of a broken unit in CC doesn't cause Failure To Rout.

Now the CC is over and a Melee counter is placed.

Next turn, assuming no-one rallied, nothing happens during the RtPh because every broken unit is in Melee. Now in the CC phase all broken units in Melee must attempt withdrawal. Really? There are no Good Order units attacking the British broken units! And if all withdrawals during combat fail, then all broken units are eliminated for FTR for being broken at the end of Melee? Even the British ones?

I feel I must be missing some rule that says that forced withdrawal and/or FTR doesn't apply unless you're in Melee against Good Order units. But I can't find it. Are my above assumptions what the rulebook actually says?

If that is the case, I should have considered withdrawing my broken units from the location during the first CC phase. I had assumed that by having the only unbroken unit in the combat, at some point the German would be eliminated, or surrender, or withdraw. Wrong?

Thanks for any input. And if you'd like to feel sorry for me, that'd be fine too :)

Funky

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I followed this right, there would be no non-broken units to attack the withdrawing British - so the withdrawing is painless (unlike the reverse of the withdrawing Germans)

Funkyfresh

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Gotcha. So there is no point in the British withdrawing to save their broken troops. Worst case they'll be forced to withdraw and automatically succeed during the German CCPh.

I'm glad it works out like that -- it would feel weird to be FTR eliminated by a broken unit you're fighting, but that can never happen in this case.

I guess if all units were broken in the glider landing, there would be the case where both sides would be forced to withdraw in Melee, and would both succeed.

Thanks for your answer!

Funky

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
i think in turn 1 you missed the rout phase, where the broken units have to rout after the advance fire phase

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A glider containing British Airborne 6-4-8/LMG, 4-5-8/PIAT, 2-4-8 HS, 8-1 fail their landing roll and land in the same hex as a concealed German 1-2-7 Crew. The glider is damaged but not eliminated. The German crew fires TPBF and loses concealment, but does not damage the glider further. In the AFPh, Random Selection eliminates the HS. The 8-1 fails his MC, causing LLTC, which pins the 4-5-8. The 6-4-8 then fails his MC. Both SWs malfunction.
There is no LLTC/LLMC, since the units are still aboard the Glider when the consequences of all Damage results are resolved. See the last sentence of the example at the end of the rules section.

Sapper_D

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
i think in turn 1 you missed the rout phase, where the broken units have to rout after the advance fire phase
I was also thinking this. Since it isn't a Melee yet there is no Withdrawal and only the broken German unit has to rout since there are no unbroken German units in the hex which would make it necessary for the broken Brits to rout from?

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Also, both units are morale 8. I thought lltc applied only where the leader morale was higher than the sqds not equal.