CC and OVR things

Oberst Balck

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi,

I am just helping a new game system to do with ASL, and need to clarify what already is / are the rules for ASL in two areas.

CC

An AFV with ONLY ? enemy units can fire out of its present hex?
TRUE/ FALSE

An AFV with ONLY known enemy units can fire out of its present hex?
TRUE/ FALSE

An AFV in either condition above is free to exit the said occupied hex?
TRUE/ FALSE

Enemy units within an AFV hex can nether move or fire out of the present hex?
TRUE/ FALSE

OVR

An AFV may make only 1 OVR roll if it remains in the initial OVR hex [ in other words it must exit and re-enter to make more than 1].
TRUE/ FALSE

An AFV that stays in a enemy infantry occupied hex can use the PFPh or the DFPH to use TPBF against said infantry target(s).
TRUE/ FALSE

Infantry in an AFV hex ( already in melleee) can fire its ( PIAT, PanzerF, Bazooka) in its PFPh, DFPh?
TRUE/ FALSE

I would be very greatfull for a responce to all these questions, if you would like to know moew about this new game variant feel free to write to me.

I would also like if you could e mail me on this directly at:

ericferguson2002@yahoo.com.au

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CC and OVR

I’ll try, but I’ll put my answers here in case I’m wrong. ;-)

CC

1) An AFV with ONLY ? enemy units can fire out of its present hex? TRUE/ FALSE

TRUE - The key phrase is A7.212 – “Whenever a unit is eligible for TPBF vs Known enemy units, it can only attack those units”. This condition doesn’t exist for the AFV (no known enemy units), so it can fire outside the hex.

2) An AFV with ONLY known enemy units can fire out of its present hex? TRUE/ FALSE

It depends. The TPBF requirement of A7.212 is defined in A7.21 (“. . .when fire attacks are allowed vs units in the same Location as the attacker or vs PRC in the same hex, the FP of the attacking unit is tripled”).

Now, you need to go to A2.8 for the definition of Location – “A hex may contain separate subdivisions within itself. . .The most common application of this is when additional vertical levels exist within the horizontal dimensions of a hex.”

So, if the AFV and the known enemy units are in the same Location, the AFV can’t fire out of the hex. But, if the AFV is on the ground level in the hex and the known enemy unit is at level 1 (for instance) in the same hex, the AFV can fire outside the hex.

Isn’t this fun?

3) An AFV in either condition above is free to exit the said occupied hex? TRUE/ FALSE

TRUE - A11.7 – “A Mobile AFV is never held in Melee and may move out of a CC hex normally in its MPh.”

4) Enemy units within an AFV hex can nether move or fire out of the present hex? TRUE/ FALSE

It depends – A11.7 – “. . .it holds all known enemy Infantry occupying the same Location after a CCPh in Melee as long as it remains in the hex (unless in Motion).” And a unit in Melee cannot move or fire except as part of CC (A11.15).

So the exceptions here would be:

a) if the AFV and enemy units are in separate Locations (per the above) the unit could move or fire

b) if the AFV is in Motion, the unit could move or fire

OVR

1) An AFV may make only 1 OVR roll if it remains in the initial OVR hex [ in other words it must exit and re-enter to make more than 1]. TRUE/ FALSE

TRUE – D7.14 “A vehicle which has made an OVR attack must exit that target hex before making another OVR.”

2) An AFV that stays in a enemy infantry occupied hex can use the PFPh or the DFPh to use TPBF against said infantry target(s). TRUE/ FALSE

That depends.

a) The AFV cannot fire in the PFPh if it is in Motion. (D2.4 – “A vehicle (and its PRC) which starts its Player Turn in Motion may not Prep Fire.”)

b) The AFV can fire in the DFPh.

c) You didn’t mention it, but the AFV can fire during the AFPh if it hasn’t fired during the PFPh or MPh.

d) And use of TPBF in all of the answers depends on whether the AFV is in the same Location (as well as the same hex).

3) Infantry in an AFV hex (already in melee) can fire its (PIAT, PanzerF, Bazooka) in its PFPh, DFPh? TRUE/ FALSE

FALSE. A11-15 – “Units locked in Melee may not. . .conduct any activity other than CC or Withdrawal from Melee.”

I’m probably missing some unique situations, but that’s the meat of it.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An AFV with ONLY ? enemy units can fire out of its present hex?
TRUE/ FALSE

An AFV with ONLY known enemy units can fire out of its present hex?
TRUE/ FALSE
TRUE - if the AFV is mobile and IF you're talking about ordnance fire. A mobile AFV is never held in melee, so it is not limited by melee. And ordnance is not limited by the point blank fire restrictions.

An AFV in either condition above is free to exit the said occupied hex?
TRUE/ FALSE

Enemy units within an AFV hex can nether move or fire out of the present hex?
TRUE/ FALSE
Yes, the AFV can leave. No, the infantry can't. This is because the infantry are held in melee after the first round of CC and cannot take ANY actions except in the CC phase (where they attack, defend, or attempt to withdraw). The AFV (assuming its mobile) is not held in melee, so it can drive away.

Sam

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Q&A with Sam

Sam -

You said:

"And ordnance is not limited by the point blank fire restrictions."

Last sentence of A7.212 says "Similarly, ordnance cannot fire outside its own Location when a Known enemy unit (EXC: unarmored vehicle) occupies the same Location." (I'm using first edition rules, my at-work copy.)

And I would emphasize the difference between the original questions using the word 'hex' and the rules using the term 'Location'.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last sentence of A7.212 says "Similarly, ordnance cannot fire outside its own Location when a Known enemy unit (EXC: unarmored vehicle) occupies the same Location." (I'm using first edition rules, my at-work copy.)

And I would emphasize the difference between the original questions using the word 'hex' and the rules using the term 'Location'.
Duh! That's what I get when I answer without looking in the rule book.

The location / hex thing is valid, but most hexes only have one location.

yeah, right. :oops:

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hexes and Locations

"Most hexes have one location."

I know it.

You know it.

I want to make sure our friend from under under knows it. :)