CC and Brokies in SK

kikka

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK. So some enemy troops get shot up and go broken off a MC. Broken units need DM to route. They have it from the failed MC and route away, ending up in a building or woods. They attempt to rally next rally phase with the officer waiting there, but roll too high. The DM comes off. They now gotta stay there.

My turn, I move a MMC next to the brokies in the movement phase. Immediately the broke baddies get a DM and have to route away (or low crawl; officer can go with them) in the route phase, or be destroyed for FTR. They are now out of range for my advance phase move into CC.

In fact, it seems they can never be in range of my troopers for CC, because if they were w/in range they would immediately DM and route away.

Have I got this right? How would I aver be able to CC brokies in the SK rules?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Off the top of my head (no rulebook handy)...

Units are locked in Melee. You fire into the Melee, and happen to break a unit from the other side, while at least one of your own units doesn't break. You can't rout out of Melee, therefore you'll get to attack the brokies in CC.

kikka

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yeah, that one makes sense, but admittedly a desperate and unusual occurrence, unless you really hate your own troops :cheeky:
Thanks, Reep.
Any other cases where it would happen, looks like it would be rare.

Bret Hildebran

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In regular ASL (sorry I'm not SK literate, but hopefully you can tell if these apply to SK) you also have the following options to CC brokies:

* concealed units don't invoke DM on brokies, so they can sneak up on a broken unit and engage them in CC netting the -2 DRM plus almost certain ambush for another -1.

* at night broken units don't die for failure to rout (and only rout 1 hex) so it's relatively easy to find cases where a unit cannot legally rout away & thus can be engaged in CC by even non-concealed units.

* in addition to fire breaking troops in a melee, a Sniper can also break guys in a melee w/no risks to the other side.

Firing into a melee can be an excellent tactic if either your side has superior morale, or you're massively outnumbered and will certainly die in CC, or it's your turn so that if the enemy breaks, you can have units adjacent to reinforce the melee and finish off the opposition easily. 'Course lately when I've been employing the tactic, I've been rolling real low and really hurting my own troops typically by box-carring them on the MC, definitely not a good strategy, while my opponent passes a 3 check or something. It's not a tactic w/o some risk, but it can be a big advantage in some scenarios if the right situation appears...

Bret Hildebran
damavs@alltel.net
www.aslok.org

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Watched one game where one players rolls were so bad that the only time he got a good roll was a crit with a mtr into a melee. He then randomly selected both of his sqds to none of the enemy. Guess who lost that scenario.