Caves for Starters

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just finished playing 72 Sea of Tranquillity and enjoyed the cave rules. Being the first cave scenario for both of us we are still in the learning curve.

Anyone got any recommendations for PTO vets who have been cave shy to this point? We have almost everything between us and play via VASL

Cheers
Ian

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A relatively simple cave scenario is BB1 Taming Tulagi from the very first Backblast, with the accompanying article Cave Busting 101.

Double check anything Youse says in that article, however. ;)

A little more involved cave scenario from that same issue is The Pinnacle, re-published in Journal #2 as J18.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A relatively simple cave scenario is BB1 Taming Tulagi from the very first Backblast, with the accompanying article Cave Busting 101.

Double check anything Youse says in that article, however. ;)

A little more involved cave scenario from that same issue is The Pinnacle, re-published in Journal #2 as J18.
I will have to have a look at those

Thanks
Ian

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Have you got the Kakazu Ridge map and scenarios? From J2 I think. It has some pretty small and interesting cave scenarios. You will need the Kakazu Ridge SSR which come on a separate chpt Z page.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have you got the Kakazu Ridge map and scenarios? From J2 I think. It has some pretty small and interesting cave scenarios. You will need the Kakazu Ridge SSR which come on a separate chpt Z page.
I have indeed Jan, I even took the map to Heroes last March LOL

Ian

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ian, you might wanna take a look at those Gavutu-Tanambogo scenarios that comes with the Rising Sun. I am doing the CG with Dan Dolan at the moment.

For a different twist, March Madness 2009 Partisan Pack has a scenario called PP03 Ukrainian Mutiny where Auschwitz SS Guards hunted down mutineering Ukrainian SS.

Rgds Jack

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
G&T would be my call as well, for. Ave shenanigans, also it is a real neat little CG.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Several cave scenarios involve something extra. For instance Bloody Red Beach and the Gavutu-Tanambogo both require landings too. As does White Beach 1 from Blood and Jungle.

Curly and the Brigadier, Fighting with the Devil, and Typhoon of Steel from Blood and Jungle have caves. Operation Rosselsprung has one cave, but that isn't its point. Another Day on the Rack from Fortress Cassino also has one cave.

VFTT #65/66 has an article on WP & caves.
VFTT #76 has an article on assaulting caves.
The 1996 ASL Annual had JR Tracy's article on caves.

There is a rumor of a Peleliu module that will have enough caves to make swiss cheese look solid, but that is still in development.

JR

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
Perry, will the two remaining scenarios from BB ever be republished? BB01: Taming Tulagi as mentioned, and BB09: A Wedge in the Ice from BB#2.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
There is a rumor of a Peleliu module that will have enough caves to make swiss cheese look solid, but that is still in development.
Yup, the module covers everything from the beach landings to fighting for the Umurbrogol . LOTS of caves. But still less than my Iwo CG.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup, the module covers everything from the beach landings to fighting for the Umurbrogol . LOTS of caves. But still less than my Iwo CG.
Who's publishing this? CH already has a Peleliu module so I assume that this will be from someone else?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
what was the old Journal scenario with caves but no landings- US army not Marines - hard to remember its been a long time since Burnie Fox and I played it. ah yes, The Pinnacle J18 I think.

KRL, Jon H

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Several cave scenarios involve something extra. For instance Bloody Red Beach and the Gavutu-Tanambogo both require landings too. As does White Beach 1 from Blood and Jungle.

Curly and the Brigadier, Fighting with the Devil, and Typhoon of Steel from Blood and Jungle have caves. Operation Rosselsprung has one cave, but that isn't its point. Another Day on the Rack from Fortress Cassino also has one cave.

VFTT #65/66 has an article on WP & caves.
VFTT #76 has an article on assaulting caves.
The 1996 ASL Annual had JR Tracy's article on caves.

JR
First, your brief article on better cave playing has a lot of great info in a small amount of text. Refer back to it from time to time as a refresher myself. Highly recommend it to all players of all skills. Second, your comment on that fabled Peleliu module is 100% totally false....I mean, correct....sort of. There are actually several scenz that use no caves, although most do. The scenarios depicting actions in the central hills as well as all three CG's make extensive use of caves / cave complexes. Been working on a detailed cave primer article for about two and a half years now.....by the time it is done it will be about 25 pages long and included LOTS of graphic examples and text examples of play, as well as some flow charts for using various weapons systems / components against caves. My goal is to include that article with the Peleliu module. We've got four play test groups around the world working on the final testing of the scenarios. I am giving the scenz ( all 30 of them) a final go around myself right now. CG's are done. I would "like" to say pre-sell sometime late this year or early next, but the queue is totally up to Chas. Third, I've had some swiss cheese that had no holes in it.....it was a "baby" swiss that was very mild in flavor and quite good.