Casualties Bin

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. Seems pretty clear that you want a tool that calculates CVP in addition to showing dead units. In doing so it needs to be able to handle vehicles, guns and infantry. Plus the logic for moving units to the casualty bin has to be able to deal with Casualty Reduction and leaving a Wreck counter in the hex.

Said with a confidence born of ignorance, it all feels like a doable do to me.

I am thinking of a quick view which just shows the running CVP total for each side, but contains an expand button which would then reveal the actual unit images. Anyway, I will be back with some mockups/demos in a while.

Doug

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
I would like this feature, but it doing the totals for your is probably difficult with disabled MA and/or crew survival.
MA status could perhaps be inferred by the presence or absence of a "MA disabled" counter above the AFV (although I usually keep these beside the AFV, if the board's not too cluttered).

But I suggested above a dialog box appear with the suggested CVP count, so that the player could change it, if they wanted, before it got applied.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Sounds like a good idea.

Where they met their fate is least important while VP calculation would be icing.

Now, a right click DF counter that would be impressive. Right ?

You know you want it... DF DF DF DF

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks to some great work by Al Cannamore, we have a working beta version of a casualty bin for testing and feedback, if you are interested. Click here to get it.

For units with a CVP value you should see two new menu items: (1) Reset CVP, (2) To Casualties Bin.

Reset CVP allows you to change the CVP value for a given unit from the defaults that we have set. So, all infantry have a default of 2. Lost a 7-0 leader? Click Reset CVP and change to 1. Then Click To Casualties Bin. For guns the default is also 2. For vehicles it is 4.

To Casualties Bin has two submenus: Allied and Axis. This allows maximum flexibility (think Italians/Prisoners) as to which side a counter belongs to. I know that Allied Axis does not really hold for FW and other situations but it is how most scenario cards and the rulebook often handle sides. Better ideas?

Having sent units to the Casualties Bin, click on the Casualties Bin button in the toolbar to see running CVP totals. Click the button again to close the window or close it as you would close any window. You can leave the window open and it will update as items are added to the Bin.

It now handles guns and most vehicles along with infantry. Still missing planes and some vehicles, motorbikes, etc. Let me know if you find other counters that should have the two menu items.

There is one small bug still to fix: if you make changes to units while they are in the casualties bin (such as deleting them or changing their CVP) you may have to hit the Allied CVP or Axis CVP button at the top of the window twice to have it show a correct result in the Chat Window.

Feedback welcomed. Aside from bugs and missing items, does this provide the needed functionality in a user-friendly fashion? How could it be better?

There are several enhancements that I want to add but want to pause first and make sure we are on the right track with what we have done so far.

To be added:
  • Have the Allied and Axis CVP counts visible on the toolbar at all times (no need to hit the Casualties Bin button unless you want to see the details)
  • Play around with the unit display in the Casualties map zones. It will be easier to adjust CVP values for individual units if they are not all stacked on top of each other
Doug

PS. I have tested saving the game and then reopening, and the units stay in the Casualties Map as expected and so CVP counts carry over as they should.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wow . this is AWESOME!

Minor question .. I see two little camera buttons on the menu bar. I don't suppose there's any difference between the Nikon one and the plain one yeah?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Wow . this is AWESOME!

Minor question .. I see two little camera buttons on the menu bar. I don't suppose there's any difference between the Nikon one and the plain one yeah?
I don't see that. Could you post a snip?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
View attachment 10005
Also :
  1. Will it sort?
  2. This doesn't work for games not CREATED under this mod version. True?
  1. What kind of sort would be useful?
  2. Yes and No. I just tried it with a previous 6.4.4 saved game. Existing counters on the map do not display the new menu items but new units added from the counter palette do. And the Cas Bin functionality should work for those units. For best performance, start a new game with BOTH players having the same version (either this beta test or the eventual offical release).
WTH! That Nikkon image is pretty funky. Where does it come from? Nothing to do with me. What happens when you scroll over it? When you click it? Seriously, the one on the left is the icon for save the map image as a png, normally accessible for the main map via the dropdown menu when you click on the ASL image on the toolbar. I have no idea about the second one. Anyone else see it?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
  1. What kind of sort would be useful?
  2. Yes and No. I just tried it with a previous 6.4.4 saved game. Existing counters on the map do not display the new menu items but new units added from the counter palette do. And the Cas Bin functionality should work for those units. For best performance, start a new game with BOTH players having the same version (either this beta test or the eventual offical release).
WTH! That Nikkon image is pretty funky. Where does it come from? Nothing to do with me. What happens when you scroll over it? When you click it? Seriously, the one on the left is the icon for save the map image as a png, normally accessible for the main map via the dropdown menu when you click on the ASL image on the toolbar. I have no idea about the second one. Anyone else see it?
Both CAMERA icon does the same thing here's the image

RE : Sorting .. like how you illustrated in Post #1? http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/casualties-bin.152782/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Can leaders be the correct CP from the get go.

10-3 = 5

8-1 = 3

Leader 2 + - mod reversed

AFV etc will need manual handing ...

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
You'd only have to do it once, though :)

SMC's would need to be done manually, since their modifier affects the VP.
That is universal and unchanged per the type, 9-1 US = 9-Ger

It should thus be hardwired not done manually.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I like the idea of a turn track , something like tabbed at the top but still gives the global values.

It would be good to have some backgrounds applicable to the nationality or perhaps
have the ability to add a pic (?? )

Just some ideas

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
[/QUOTE]
Both CAMERA icon does the same thing here's the image

Until someone else tells us that they are seeing both icons, I think it is fair to assume that this is something at your end. I have no idea what at this point. That functionality comes from VASSAL not VASL. What version of VASSAL are you using?