CASLO XXVII in 2023

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Announcing the 27th Canadian ASL Open! This year it will be held in Fredericton, NB, Canada. Information available here. Registration information will be updated soon, but keep 19 to 21 May open! 5 rounds of ASL fun in the Great White North in beautiful New Brunswick, Canada!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Announcing the 27th Canadian ASL Open! This year it will be held in Fredericton, NB, Canada. Information available here. Registration information will be updated soon, but keep 19 to 21 May open! 5 rounds of ASL fun in the Great White North in beautiful New Brunswick, Canada!
Good luck with the event!🤗

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Registration for the 2023 Canadian ASL Open is now live!

CASLA Members: $45.00

Non-Members: $50.00

All prices in Canadian! Register now!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Registration for the 2023 Canadian ASL Open is now live!

CASLA Members: $45.00

Non-Members: $50.00

All prices in Canadian! Register now!

Best of luck with your event!!🤗🤗

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reminder that the Canadian ASL Open is in May. Register today! Also, there will be some ASL Starter Kit open play for only five (5) Canadian dollars!

Information here.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
me & the mrs are planning on coming. be there Thursday night. will pay cash when we arrive. any Americanos who want to ride over with us: can meet in Augusta or Bangor
I look forward to seeing you both! Remember to tell the hotel you're with CASLO to get the better rate :)

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The scenario list for the main event at CASLO is up!
What is your thinking behind the progressive rules increase? In my opinion people playing at CASLO should be using the entire ruleset in all rounds.
Also this scenario list is mostly very old scenarios. Part of what motivates players to come to an event is the opportunity to play newer scenarios. I'm interested in your thinking here.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Two things:
The Progressive Rules Increase was based on a conversation with a few local ASL gamers. For starters, the idea was to put a bit of a difference into this tournament this year. In years past, I've seen no real themes, just some scenarios. Many minis have themes from what I've seen: East Front, West Front, Desert, Infantry, etc. So, a bit of a twist on that, but mainly to force us (ie: me) to ensure that the entire rule book was being used at least by the end of the tournament, especially chapters F, G and W. That said, I do see G more than the other two, but again, just forcing the issue. And by the end, the tournament champion will have demonstrated his broad rules knowledge.
For the scenarios, I was looking at a few parameters, to include balance and time. I've seen too often where scenarios are a bit too long for a tournament and end up either in arbitration or worse, playing well into the night. As such, using available online resources (ASL Scenario Archive, ROAR, etc), there was a list made that included many older scenarios that have stood the test of time and rated well in terms of popularity. T4 "Shklov's Labors Lost" may be old AF, but it has been registered as played over 400 times and it fairly well balanced. So, for this one, went with tried, tested and true. Maybe it was risk-aversion on my part, hesitant to include a new one that turns out to be a dog or too long. So, all that to say is that I was going for balance and scenario length.
I do appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think anyone who has created tournament scenario lists appreciates your risk aversion!
Thanks. I mean, I want people to enjoy themselves, so the list is up early (3 months ahead of the tournament as of today. Give or take a few days). That way people can decide if they wish to give it a go. I like to think that there is enough variety available to make it an enjoyable experience.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks. I mean, I want people to enjoy themselves, so the list is up early (3 months ahead of the tournament as of today. Give or take a few days). That way people can decide if they wish to give it a go. I like to think that there is enough variety available to make it an enjoyable experience.
I'm all in for Chapter G!

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Two months from today, the Canadian ASL Open will kick off in Fredericton, NB. Register today!