CASLO XXIV - Fredericton NB 15 - 17 May

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On behalf of the D-Day Dodgers ASL Club of Southern New Brunswick and the committee of the Canadian ASL Association, I would like to announce the results of the 2020 Canadian ASL Open.
Sportsman: Peter Rogneholt
Boxcars: Darren Kovacs
Sniper: Darren Kovacs (I'm sensing a theme)
MINI TOURNAMENTS:
Early War: Erik Lindblad
Pacific: Victor Rosso
Balkans: Steffen Knippel
USA: Francois Guérette
3rd with 4-1 record and 51 points: Darren Kovacs
2nd with 4-1 record and 52 points: Rich Domovic
And the 2020 Canadian ASL Open champion with a perfect 5-0 record and 67 points, Carl Nogueira.
We had close to 40 people playing at various times and you may have seen the crowded VASL rooms with "CASLO" in the title. That was us! Great time had by all and in the coming days I'll post up more details (scenarios played, etc) Right now, time to drink.

Slainte!

msoong38

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My first online ASL tournament, and it's a blast! Thanks Dave for putting it on!

I played in the PTO mini. Definitely learned a lot as the IJA player (played IJA the whole time). The last game (Milling about) went on a seesaw ride, where my CVP differential swung from -6 all the way to +5 at the end of the game (I needed 6 to win). The last DF phase saw the Brits auto rout everyone out of the way, and I have 4 shots at 2+2 or 2+1 to bag another CVP for a win. Alas no such luck! (it doesn't come any closer than this!)

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Great tourney Dave! Thanks for your efforts at getting this done with a hostile environment (no, not the gamers lol)

jeffwinto

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Very well run tourney Dave. I jumped at the chance to attend when you decided to make it a vasl event as my travel budget is limited.

Very glad I did.

Jeff

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A banzai charge ensues and the leader and both squads jump in my hex, an IJA, but, 1 resid causes a MC, the Leader goes berserk (as do the squads) ending the game for not being able to control the bunker.
Ya know, it is printed right on the Banzai counter "No HoB".

Darren Kovacs

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks David Garvin for organizing a great online tournament! Had to settle with Plan B, winning the Boxcars Award instead of the tournament proper. ? Had great fun and some great games. Congrats to Carl Nogueira for taking the title this year! Glad I had a chance to play him for the title and the win couldn't have gone to a nicer guy. [At least that's my impression] ?

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks again David. I can send you a photo of my 2004 G35. Come and get it, ASL-sorta-grandson.

Here's my hope for the 25th anniversary of CASLO: back in Winnipeg, where it all began for CASLA and CASLO. I had the honour of getting to know Jim McLeod, if even only a little bit. Some of his bestest friends are still here and willing to chip in, I'm sure. All his other friends are willing to travel here, if they can.

That's May 2021. I guess I've just spoken for the local club, without consulting them. Again.
And part of CASLA, again, maybe.
Sorry. It just feels like the right thing to do.

And I have an idea for a sweet-sixteen invitational play down involving all previous winners!
Online! Quarterly play downs (online) leading to a free trip to Winnipeg!
I mean, am I over-promising?
I think not.

A free trip to Winnipeg! From anywhere Air Transat flies! How hard can that be?

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks David Garvin for organizing a great online tournament! Had to settle with Plan B, winning the Boxcars Award instead of the tournament proper. ? Had great fun and some great games. Congrats to Carl Nogueira for taking the title this year! Glad I had a chance to play him for the title and the win couldn't have gone to a nicer guy. [At least that's my impression] ?
Thanks Darren. Had a great time playing you. I also enjoyed your cat's cameo during the Zoom closing ceremony:).

Vrosso

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all, pulled the aar down for having multiple rule errors. Many thanks to those who kindly pointed out some things.

To reiterate, many thanks to David for organizing a wonderful event, had a great time with three excellent opponents, the sportsmanship was incredible.

V

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
To reiterate what many have said already, Dave did a great job with the tourney. This of course is becoming the new normal. It generates a lot of work for the TD and David did a great job of making things seamless. Had a great time playing 5 class act opponents.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To reiterate what many have said already, Dave did a great job with the tourney. This of course is becoming the new normal. It generates a lot of work for the TD and David did a great job of making things seamless. Had a great time playing 5 class act opponents.
congrats on your win Carl !

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thank you all for your kind words.

The following is what I sent out to the participants on some stats from the tournament:

In the main tournament, Allies won 30 games, and the Axis won 33 (NB: The Soviets were counted as Axis in FrF 27 "Cocktails for Molotov" as they were fighting against the Poles)
Of those 63 matches, 35 of them were played with both players playing their preferred side, or where one player had declared "no preference". In short, no balance.
Of the 28 matches where both sides preferred the same side, the side that fought with their preferred side against the balance won 16 times, and the side that had the opposite said and fought with the balance won 12 times.
The most popular scenario to be played was RPT 3, played 8 times, with each side winning 4 times. Next was a tie with 6 each was J 32 (5 Axis and 1 Allied win) and J 41 (4 Axis and 2 Allied wins).

I agree with Steffen: I'm hoping that next year is in Winnipeg for the XXV CASLO. As already said, I think it would be quite fitting.

Now to relax for a few days. :)

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
thanks for organising this, I know it is a ton of work (without the joy of cameraderie/ASL stories and sharing of a real life tournament).

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm sorry we didn't get to sit in the hotel bar after our games and swap war stories, but I think an outstanding job was done under difficult circumstances.
It was the most fun I've had in more than a few months.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
thanks for organising this, I know it is a ton of work (without the joy of cameraderie/ASL stories and sharing of a real life tournament).
You still get some of the comradrie but you don't take your opponent to dinner. :)