CASLO XXIV - Fredericton NB 15 - 17 May

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scenarios are up for the XXIV Canadian ASL Open! The Main Tournament is five rounds, and there are three themed mini tournaments that will run on Saturday and Sunday. The minis will each have four participants and will be round-robin in nature. Registration is $65.00. If you do so before 15 April, you save five dollars off. CASLA members save a further five dollars. Register today! https://canadianasl.org/scenarios/

Smedley

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenarios are up for the XXIV Canadian ASL Open! The Main Tournament is five rounds, and there are three themed mini tournaments that will run on Saturday and Sunday. The minis will each have four participants and will be round-robin in nature. Registration is $65.00. If you do so before 15 April, you save five dollars off. CASLA members save a further five dollars. Register today! https://canadianasl.org/scenarios/
That's a nice list of scenarios! However, just so you know, additional scenarios have been published since 1997!

Rob

PS: I am hoping to attend!

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi all
Bottom Line Up Front: CASLO XXIV is a GO. That said, a decision will be made on 15 April to see if we carry on or not. A week is an eternity with Twitter, Facebook, etc all yelling updated stats at us every five minutes, so I remain optimistic that come May, we'll be gathered round tables in Fredericton gaming.

But if that's not the case, you'll get your money back and a month's notice.

Let's hope for the best!

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Announcement: CASLO XXIV is dead; long live CASLO XXIV! OK, not dead, just changed is all. Details will be promulgated in due course; however, as it stands, CASLO XXIV will not be held in Fredericton, NB, Canada next month. In its place there will be a Virtual CASLO in its place. It will be 15 - 17 May and registration, etc, will soon be made public. If you registered for CASLO XXIV already, you will get your money back to you in very short order.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
To make it official: This is to announce that the D-Day Dodgers ASL Club of Southern New Brunswick (DDDASLCoSNB) is pleased to host the XXIV Canadian ASL Open (Virtual) from 15 to 17 May 2020. This will consist of a five-round main tournament as well as several three-round mini tournaments. The five-round tournament will run from Friday to Sunday, with 2 rounds each on Friday and Saturday and the final on Sunday. The three-round mini tournaments will each be themed, will be conducted in groups of 4 players each and will be conducted in a round robin fashion.
Registration will be 10 Canadian dollars; however, Canadian ASL Association members only pay 5 dollars!(The fees will cover the cost of shipping of prizes)
SPEAKING OF PRIZES: The tournament has the following sponsors:
Slitherine Games
ASL Battleschool
Lone Canuck
Multiman Publishing
Le Franc Tireur and
Bounding Fire Productions
Plaques will also be sent out; however, the manufacturer has suspended operations presently due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. As such, there will be a delay on those. Rules, scenarios, etc are up at the following address. NOTE: You will be using VASL (VASSAL 3.2.17 and VASL 6.4.4). The set up files will be sent to all registrants, as will the relevant scenario cards. Any chat program is ok. Some prefer Skype, others DISCORD.
NEW TO THIS TOURNAMENT: In order to speed things along, once you get the scenario cards, you will be asked to make your selections (to include side) so that once you are paired, the TD will determine scenario, side and if there will be any balance. Rules are up, as are scenarios. Go to http://www.canadianasl.org/CASLO for details.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am very interesting in knowing: How do you plan on dealing with Time Zone issues and potential adjudication situations.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
I'm playing Dinant via Skype right now and it works fine. A CG like Dinant takes time to work through a (German) PFPh and MPh but otherwise works very well if you don't mind talking through your move. A tournament sized scenario would be easy by comparison and there is no delay in transmitting files (if there are time limit concerns).

Setting up a camera to witness the DR may be an issue as I am sure there may be 'trust' issues. :sneaky:

It works very well but it takes cooperation.?

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
... Setting up a camera to witness the DR may be an issue as I am sure there may be 'trust' issues. :sneaky:
It works very well but it takes cooperation.?
Our TD mandated that we all use random.org for DR and dr, and the built-in LOS for its intended purpose, come hell or high water I presume.
Love it.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I printed the Scenario List the other day, and perhaps you've already corrected the typos.
Cohort and the Phalanx is HG3 (not HG4).
Grave Situation is DB121 (not DP121).

Otherwise, I have no other criticisms at this juncture.

Godspeed, Mr Garvin. I don't envy you.
As noted elsewhere, prepare to spend your time on (1) administrating, (2) sleeping, (3) playing in emergencies only.

I'll register for the Balkan Medley in due course. Or now, if this counts.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi guys
Going to get on my PC so I can answer more comprehensively

David

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am very interesting in knowing: How do you plan on dealing with Time Zone issues and potential adjudication situations.
Thanks for the question.
Right now the intent is to have one time zone for the tournament. Most likely Eastern Daylight Time. Having said that, if more sign up from way out west, may end up going to Central Time. That decision will be made by the 15th of April.
For Adjudication, if required, the players will have to contact me and let me join the room. Each makes his case via IM. Then I'll huddle with the other "adjudicators" and then render a verdict. Hopefully it won't come to this.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I printed the Scenario List the other day, and perhaps you've already corrected the typos.
Cohort and the Phalanx is HG3 (not HG4).
Grave Situation is DB121 (not DP121).

Otherwise, I have no other criticisms at this juncture.

Godspeed, Mr Garvin. I don't envy you.
As noted elsewhere, prepare to spend your time on (1) administrating, (2) sleeping, (3) playing in emergencies only.

I'll register for the Balkan Medley in due course. Or now, if this counts.
Thanks for these!
Checking now, the scenario card for Cohort and the Phalanx shows it as HG 4.
Updated DP 121 to the correct DB 121.

As for registration, just send me a note via IM with your info (email address, etc).

:)

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
David is there a cap on the number of players?
Dave
Right now, no. Having said that, there are now 23 signed up for the main tournament. I think I may limit it to 32 so that we will be guaranteed to have just one person at the end undefeated.

That said, there are 12 slots for the minis. So, potentially up to 44 participants!

And with that said, the idea is that after the first day, those who wish to remain in the hunt can switch over to one of the 3 minis.

As a reminder, for the minis, they will be held round-robin. So you play 2 on Saturday and one on Sunday. Best record wins! In the event of a tie, will come to tie-breaker rules as found in the charter. Or co-champions.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Our TD mandated that we all use random.org for DR and dr, and the built-in LOS for its intended purpose, come hell or high water I presume.
Love it.
Exactly. After all, this isn't the olympics; we are grown men playing tanks and going pew pew pew. If someone wants to hijack the mainframe to cheat the random.org rolls to win over me, go ahead. And if we stick to the in game LOS, it makes it faster. If there is a dispute over LOS, just flip a coin, call for adjudication, whatever. Personally I just roll if it's close.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In anticipation of CASLO XXIV (Virtual), all participants must take note of the following: The tournament will be played using VASL. The VASSAL version will be 3.2.17 and VASL will be version 6.5.0. Players are highly recommended to go to vasl.info and install the following extensions:
a. Chit_generator.mdx
b. VASLOverlays_v2.0.vmdx
c. Cloaking-display.vmdx
d. Secret-dr.1.0.vmdx

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CASLO XXIV kicks off on the 15th of May at 12 noon Eastern. Will you be part of the first-ever VIRTUAL Canadian ASL Open? Only a few slots left in the main tournament! Only 10 bucks (Canadian). See below for more info: http://www.canadianasl.org/caslo

Last edited: