CASLO XXII

eehemminger

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hello Everyone,

The Winnipeg ASL Club is pleased to announce that Canadian ASL Open XXII will be held in Winnipeg on May 18-20, 2018. Further details will be forthcoming.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

CASLO XXII Poster.jpg

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi folks.

Assistant TD and Winnipeg ASL Club President Eldon Hemminger has secured the venue for CASLO XXII. There's a free shuttle from the airport (which is very close), it has several good food options (Denny's and Chop Steakhouse are connected), quite nice rooms, and the gaming room (Charleswood A/B) is spacious and well-lit.
You WILL like it.
Use Group Booking Code #432814 NOW to secure a room for $115/night, Canadian. (That's like, $4 USD, I think. I could be wrong.)

https://www.sandmanhotels.com/locations/manitoba/winnipeg/hotels/winnipeg-airport-ywg

The main CASLO XXII tournament will start at noon on Friday (May 18) and be finished by 3 pm Sunday (May 20).
There will be five (5) rounds in this AREA-seeded main tournament (2 Friday, 2 Saturday, 1 Sunday), and three (3) rounds in the single-elimination mini-tournament (2 Saturday, 1 Sunday). Allow another hour or so on Sunday for prizes etc.
Entry in the mini-tournament will be limited to 8 players who either:
  • can't play Friday AND pre-registered for the mini, or
  • took a loss Friday and chose to enter (space permitting).
Players eliminated from the mini will return to the main tournament for any remaining rounds.

[ASLSK (Starter Kit) materials and opponents will be available at all times, but no formal tournament is planned.]

We award plaques to the top three (3) finishers in the main tournament, and the mini winner.
Donated prizes are distributed via winners' choice, based on order of finish.

We will launch the registration web sites soon, and the tournament information package provided there (including scenario options) will be definitive.

Thanks in advance to the aforementioned Eldon Hemminger (club prez), Ron Levreault (scenario selection), Paul Suderman (prizing and souvenirs), Josh Gilbert (motorcyclist), and Blake Ball (requisite on-site biochemist).

Current CASLA Director and de facto CASLO XXII Tournament Director,
Steffen Knippel

Last edited:

Mongo5486

Reaction score
First name
Will
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks.

Assistant TD and Winnipeg ASL Club President Eldon Hemminger has secured the venue for CASLO XXII. There's a free shuttle from the airport (which is very close), it has several good food options (Denny's and Chop Steakhouse are connected), quite nice rooms, and the gaming room (Charleswood A/B) is spacious and well-lit.
You WILL like it.
Use Group Booking Code #432814 NOW to secure a room for $115/night, Canadian. (That's like, $4 USD, I think. I could be wrong.)

https://www.sandmanhotels.com/locations/manitoba/winnipeg/hotels/winnipeg-airport-ywg

The main CASLO XXII tournament will start at noon on Friday (Dec 18) and be finished by 3 pm Sunday (Dec 20).
There will be five (5) rounds in this AREA-seeded main tournament (2 Friday, 2 Saturday, 1 Sunday), and three (3) rounds in the single-elimination mini-tournament (2 on Saturday + 1 on Sunday). Allow another hour or so on Sunday for prizes etc.
Entry in the mini-tournament will be limited to 8 players who either:
  • can't play Friday AND pre-registered for the mini, or
  • took a loss Friday and chose to enter (space permitting).
Players eliminated from the mini will return to the main tournament for any remaining rounds.

[ASLSK (Starter Kit) materials and opponents will be available at all times, but no formal tournament is planned.]

We award plaques to the top three (3) finishers in the main tournament, and the mini winner.
Donated prizes are distributed via winners' choice, based on order of finish.

I'm sure there's more I should be sharing, but I've done this (mostly) from memory while trying to simultaneously watch my Winnipeg Jets beat the Edmonton Oilers, and Team Canada beat Slovakia in the World Juniors.

We will launch the registration web sites soon, and the tournament information package provided there (including scenario options) will be definitive.

Thanks in advance to the aforementioned Eldon Hemminger (club prez), Ron Levreault (scenario selection), Paul Suderman (prizing and souvenirs), Josh Gilbert (motorcyclist), and Blake Ball (requisite on-site biochemist).

Current CASLA Director and de facto CASLO XXII Tournament Director,
Steffen Knippel
You mean May don't you?

Stagehand99

Recruit
Reaction score
I am having trouble booking a room in the hotel. Tried a 2-night stay beginning May 18 and was told there was nothing available, but there were rooms available for two nights starting May 17 (huh? how's that work?). Put in May 17 as a check in date and again go the message that no rooms were available, but there were rooms available starting the 18th. Will try calling the hotel directly later today.

Still not sure I can make it, but am working on getting all the pieces to line up in the event I can.

Cheers,

Terry Gray
ex-Winnipeger now living near Seattle.

PS Michael R, thanks again for the link to this thread.

eehemminger

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I am having trouble booking a room in the hotel. Tried a 2-night stay beginning May 18 and was told there was nothing available, but there were rooms available for two nights starting May 17 (huh? how's that work?). Put in May 17 as a check in date and again go the message that no rooms were available, but there were rooms available starting the 18th. Will try calling the hotel directly later today.

Still not sure I can make it, but am working on getting all the pieces to line up in the event I can.

Cheers,

Terry Gray
ex-Winnipeger now living near Seattle.

PS Michael R, thanks again for the link to this thread.
Hi Terry,

I contacted the Sandman Hotels in Winnipeg and they advise to call the hotel directly at 204-775-7263 and provide them with the group booking number (432814) to reserve your room for those dates. Reason is that this group booking number is probably not linked to the online booking system.

They assured me that you don't have to use the full three nights to be eligible for this group booking. The group booking is far from being filled.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Eldon Hemminger
WASLC President

Last edited:

Stagehand99

Recruit
Reaction score
Hi Terry,

I contacted the Sandman Hotels in Winnipeg and they advise to call the hotel directly at 204-775-7263 and provide them with the group booking number (432814) to reserve your room for those dates. Reason is that this group booking number is probably not linked to the online booking system.

They assured me that you don't have to use the full three nights to be eligible for this group booking. The group booking is far from being filled.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Eldon Hemminger
Winnipeg who is now enjoying the balmy -2C (28F) weather
WASLC President
Thanks Eldon.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I am thinking seriously of attending this event and am fishing around for a roommate. I myself do not snore and always have earplugs at hand. Respond here and by PM if wishing to split costs. Thanks for your attention.

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The registration page for CASLO XXII in Winnipeg, May 18-20, is up at https://canadianasl.org/how-to-register/

Take advantage of the discount for early registration by registering before April 1.

All registrations and payments should go to Michael Rodgers, the Secretary/Treasurer of the Canadian ASL Association.
His contact information is available at the link provided above.

Any questions about CASLO XXII in Winnipeg can be directed to me.
Steffen Knippel

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
If a bunch of Americans living near the Manitoba border come up, we could have 30.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
According to the Charter you can not charge for the scenario sheets. This was decided 2 or 3 years back.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
According to the Charter you can not charge for the scenario sheets. This was decided 2 or 3 years back.
The charter states that the CASLO must give the option of paper copies of the scenarios for participants; not that the copies must be free.

SSlunt

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The option of a hard copy of all the tournament scenarios, to be played at the applicable year's tournament, be added to the Pre-Registration form; so that if selected, the participants would receive a complete copy of all CASLO scenarios, which would be picked up by the participant at the registration table
shall be written (under Tournament Director duties)

The implication and intention of the addition to the Charter is that the scenarios would be provided for free.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The option of a hard copy of all the tournament scenarios, to be played at the applicable year's tournament, be added to the Pre-Registration form; so that if selected, the participants would receive a complete copy of all CASLO scenarios, which would be picked up by the participant at the registration table

The implication and intention of the addition to the Charter is that the scenarios would be provided for free.
It certainly was not my intention when I voted for it. I do not read the implication that you read, and besides, an implication is meaningless.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

i always appreciate a hardcopy of the scenarios at a tournament. i can't remember a tourney that i have been to that did not provide them. i thought i voted to keep paper available at CASLO too. wish i could make it this year

SteffenK

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi folks. The scenario list has been finalized for the Canadian ASL Open tournament, this year being held in lovely Winnipeg, Manitoba from May 18-20, 2018.

Head to http://canadianasl.org and click on CASLO XXII for all the details.

(Note that low-res paper copies of all scenarios will be available on-site. If you've prepaid for them, you'll be reimbursed.)

Attachments