Case J house rule usage? (C6.17 EX footnote 9)

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm curious how many (if any) play with the suggested house rule for the tank only expending 1 MP in LOS of the AT gun while cresting the hill? Or do most play the stock rule where the tank's 5 MP are expended in LOS of the AT gun?

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't recall an opponent suggesting the optional rule nor having suggested it to an opponent.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
What a gem: Veteran gamers may well wish to adopt House Rules of this type for this situation, rather than use the simpler rules presented here.

Designer: "Gee, let's make rules for the most complicated game on the planet and then bury a more realistic rule as a suggested house rule only for Veteran players."

Why not just make it the rule? That's what Veteran players would well wish for, right?

It's not all that complicated to grasp, given the complexity of other mechanisms we are forced to deal with.

But, I can imagine it would a difficult rule to write, with a lot of odd cases to come up with regards to what constitutes LOS 'on the other side of the hill.'

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The whole point of me playing ASL (and not Squad Leader) is that I have one set of rules vs most other players in the world.

Not a fan of house rules myself, especially when I am still learning to do the real rules properly.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm curious how many (if any) play with the suggested house rule for the tank only expending 1 MP in LOS of the AT gun while cresting the hill? Or do most play the stock rule where the tank's 5 MP are expended in LOS of the AT gun?

I think the idea is that when cresting a hill, the vehicle is moving slower as it grinds up the hill, rather than necessarily being out of sight, so I don't see any reason to change the rule.